Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/16/2007, 05:25 PM
Premium Member

A stupid question?

Hi everyone,

It feels like this is a stupid question since everyone talks about putting Nori on a clip in their tanks, but whenever we put it on a clip, in short order it is ripped off and most of it ends up getting broken up and all over the tank.

It seems like a basic concept....small piece of nori (2"x3") soak in garlic/selcon briefly and put on clip. Are we missing something?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04/16/2007, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

I know exactly what you mean. I break the pieces in half so they aren't as flimsy. I use the green algae sheets, they get waterlogged and come off the clip after a couple minutes a a couple tugs. But if you cut them in half, it takes the fish a little more work to pull that smaller piece out of the clip. I also fold them in half if the piece is still too big.
Old 04/16/2007, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

I just put a sheet of nori into the tank and the fish tear it apart.
Old 04/16/2007, 06:11 PM
Premium Member

i hate that...that's why i use lettuce now...the tangs munch on it and pieces dont break off and get stuck in the overflow\strainers.
Old 04/17/2007, 12:06 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
My fish don't eat anything of the top as well as they do lower down. We do use lettuce as well, (they LOVE it!) but I was under the impression it wasn't as good for them. Has anyone else ever heard that?

I've also tried broccoli which the Foxface likes, but it too ends up all over the tank.

We will try doubling over the Nori, thanks Steve!

Steph
Old 04/17/2007, 12:11 AM
reef obsessed

Try rolling the Nori up into a tight 'cigarette' roll before you clip it. Seems to help it stick around longer when it gets wet.
Old 04/17/2007, 08:28 AM
Registered Member

Since Iceberg lettuce has no real nutritional value for humans, the same would be true for the fish....but if you are talking about darker color green lettuces, the nutritional value goes up.

drummereef was more eloquent than I, the "folding over" I meant is like a loose cigarette roll, or actually more like a Burrito. I put my clip down the wall of the tank about halfway, my Foxface doesn't come up near the surface as quickly as if it is down halfway.
Old 04/17/2007, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steverino
Since Iceberg lettuce has no real nutritional value for humans, the same would be true for the fish....but if you are talking about darker color green lettuces, the nutritional value goes up.
I concur on this point. Even darker green lettuces have very limited nutrition, particularly compared to Nori. As an example, you can feed a rabbit a diet consisting of nothing but lettuce and it will starve to death (yes, literally die) while keeping it's belly full.
Old 04/17/2007, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

The lettuce is romaine, so I guess it's the best of the lettuce. As I said the tangs and foxface will eat (actually our cleaner wrasse, and occasionally one of the 3 stripe damsels even peck at it which I thought was strange!).

The Nori is a different story though. They are all very picky about it, taking just a little bit or none at all. I will try the folding/rolling idea today, and see where we get with that.

Apparently the tangs and Foxface are all supposed to like broccoli and zucchini slices as well...but so far ours barely touch them (or just make a mess with them).

I will report back!
Old 04/17/2007, 07:35 PM
Premium Member

Well, I tried "rolling it". The first time, the roll was maybe 2-3" long and part of it still ripped off, so I tried it again cutting the rolls in half so there were 2 rolls of an 1.5" each and that went a lot better. Not only that, but all of the fish (that should eat it) did eat it this time, except the angel. They all went through it pretty quickly, so we'll get another clip, and put some at each end of the tank from now one...maybe then the angel will try it if he doesn't have to fight through the more agressive fish.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Steph :-)
Old 04/17/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

Ditch the clip. It's useless.

I use a smooth oyster shell that I found on the beach. I drilled a hole through it and tangle it in the water from a rubber band and fishing line. I then use a rubber band to attach nori to it. I also learned to cut up the nori into 1 cm strips and soak it first before adding it to the tank.

With this setup, my tang can't just rip off the nori and let it float around the tank. Instead of 10 minutes, my nori now last about 4-6 hours while the Tang grazes on it. My tang also quit pacing the tank because it's occupied with it's game.
Old 04/17/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone tried using kale? As far as humans go, that is the most nutrient dense leafy green you can eat. I don't keep tangs, just wondering if someone else has tried.
Old 04/21/2007, 07:29 PM
Premium Member

Pippi - I've never heard of using Kale, but that is a good idea. It also made me wonder if they would like fresh spinach? I may give them both an try.

Kurtg - no Marine beaches here, but I guess a live Oyster from the grocery store would work too!

In the meantime the Nori is staying in much better using the "rolling" of shorter lengths. Thanks everyone!

Steph
Old 04/22/2007, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by StephM33
Kurtg - no Marine beaches here, but I guess a live Oyster from the grocery store would work too!
A piece of plastic would do as long as there are no sharp edges. You just need something oblong that you can drill and rubber band nori to.