Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/06/2008, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Question Coralline all show but no go?

So if you want the best enviroment for the fish and are not going for looks, coralline is actually bad??

Quoted from here:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-0...ture/index.php

These vendors provide rock that often is covered with a large amount of coralline algae, and very little else. This rock is free of much of the material that can die in transit and rot in the destination tank. It is also free of most animal life. This rock can provide a beautiful backdrop or substrate in a tank, but, unfortunately, it simply can't provide much in the way of biological filtration. The small animals that moved water through the rock are not only dead and gone, but there is likely no fauna available to colonize the live rock and replace them in the destination tank. This rock is full of dead space and algae.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

Wouldn't the anoxic areas created by coralline make perfect spots for denitrifying bacteria?
Old 01/06/2008, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

haha, don't believe that
Old 01/06/2008, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kydsexy
haha, don't believe that
agreed
Old 01/07/2008, 02:13 AM
Registered Member

Talking

bump

anymore expert advise?
Old 01/07/2008, 03:32 AM
Registered Member

Coraline algea and its growth and color is a great sign os great water condition. What they say makes sence but rock placement and water movement and very pourus LR and Base rock can all conterreact this IMO. Besides i have read articals that say coraline in high enough amounts can be dangerous.

I get the feeling they are more concered if you depend on LR as the main or only source of nitrate and ammonia control. But i consider LR just another tool we use in water quality. There isnt any one method to control water quality.
Old 01/07/2008, 08:36 AM
Registered Member

I didn't think the article emphasized so much that coralline is bad. The only issue, is that it could "fill in" some of the pores and decrease some of the denitrifying ability of the rock. For the most part however, the issue the article brings up is just common sense that , for some reason, seems to elude many in this hobby. Curing LR kills off most of the beneficial organisms and leaves you with overpriced colorful rock... This is why I just buy baserock or LR from established tank locally where no curring is required.

However, that being said. I think the idea about the organisms being required, to move water, for denitrification is debatable. And if so, most leave spores and will pop up eventually even if not there now. Eventually live rock will be alive (and so will base rock)
Old 01/07/2008, 10:29 AM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

It really wont make a difference. Only the top layers of my rock, the parts that get light, are covered in coralline. Thats maybe 30% of it.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

kemo and I gave you the very best advice

the only expert you need to examine is the creator of the ocean. the ocean has coralline covered reefs and they're thriving just fine (minus jerk humans who destroy them)