Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/18/2005, 12:03 AM
joke killer

Difficult ID

Hi All! I am looking for an ID on this coral. I got this frag from my local club's frag swap. Sorry about the quality of the pics but my camera is not that good and it is taking pics of baby polyps.

So let the IDing begin!

Thanks!!!
Old 07/18/2005, 12:29 AM
Premium Member

micro or an acan lord. how big are the polyps?
Old 07/18/2005, 02:36 AM
Moved On

i like the subtle colors. good snag
Old 07/18/2005, 01:02 PM
Moved On

That looks like Yoshido's ( Dannie) Acan Hillea. The bag it was in had no writing on it correct??? That piece looks a lot different from his colony though
Old 07/18/2005, 07:50 PM
joke killer

Thanks Guys! The bag did have some writing on it but what was written on it had been rubbed off.

The polyps are about as big around as a pencil. I will do a search for Yoshidoand see what I can find. The funny thing about this coral is it wasn't my first or second pic. LOL! it just goes to show ya what some people will overlook.
Old 07/18/2005, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

it is a micro. I could be wrong
Old 07/19/2005, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

yup, that's my hillae! but i dunno where those colors came from! lol. they are baby polyps though...cut right from the edge of the new growth. the colony usually looks like this:

that's strange that it changed color that quickly. did you have it in a cooler?? i can't believe it changed that much!
Old 07/19/2005, 06:21 PM
joke killer

It could be that I don't have it under that much actinic. I am sure that it will grow into its color. Yes I did have it in a cooler. Plus it was sitting in the bag for quite a while because I was helping clean up. I have yet to find a LPS that has not done well for me, so I am not worried. Thanks for bringing it to the swap! I hope I have some frags available soon.
Old 07/19/2005, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

i don't really use actinics either. that picture is under 50/50 pc(96w powerquad), which happens to be a realllllyyyy old bulb(over a year old) and the piece had some nice blue and green hues along with the purple and orange specks. it grows fairly quickly but takes awhile for the polyps to get full sized. good luck with it!!
danny
Old 07/19/2005, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

I have to agree. I got a nice frag of Danny's A. Hillae, and that looks like it to a tee. It stayed a solid purple for about 4 months, and has now gotten a nice green to it. I got 3 or so heads, and they are about 10 now, so it grows fairly quickly. And yes, it does take a while for the polyps to fill out, but when they do, absolutely beautiful!

Nice snag, and good luck with it.
Old 07/21/2005, 12:21 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by yoshiod9
yup, that's my hillae! but i dunno where those colors came from! lol. they are baby polyps though...cut right from the edge of the new growth. the colony usually looks like this:

that's strange that it changed color that quickly. did you have it in a cooler?? i can't believe it changed that much!
Very nice, but thats not a hillae.
Old 07/21/2005, 04:33 AM
Registered Member

well, every time i show updated photos of the constantly fragged colony i get the same naysaying remarks. which is fine by me...but if you can't ID the coral, what's the point of trying to say this isn't 'such and such'? lol.

the colony originally looked like this:

now if that doesn't just scream hillae at you, then i don't know what to tell ya. i have had it up for quite some time as hillae and if i'm wrong, i'll feel bad...but until someone can definitely prove that this isn't hillae, i'll keep calling it hillae(since no one had problems with it before).
Old 07/21/2005, 08:28 AM
Moved On

Quote:

The pic above came from this colony? This colony is a hillae, and a very nice score, but the pic here:

to me doesn't even resemble that one. The coralites are uniformly round and do not have deep walls, its almost flat. Its neat to see that if it did come from that colony, they are also very slow growers, so if someone fragged that from that colony then it would have taken a very long time to have gotten to the size in the photo. Good luck with it dude.
Old 07/21/2005, 09:43 AM
Moved On

It's the same coral in both pics. What grows slow for you may grow faster for someone else depending on tank conditions, feedings, etc.
Old 07/21/2005, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

Sure looks like hillae to me.

There is not much documentation of what these corals will start to look like in captivity after a while. Good job Danny. Keep taking pictures show you can show it's developments.
Old 07/21/2005, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

jenn- yep...both pics are from the same colony(granted, they were taken about 7 months apart). the colony i bought was HUGE...about 8" across and around 5 or 6" wide...i decided to frag it in half about a week after i bought it...mostly because i run only nano tanks but also to see how it would fare under different lighting schemes.

rob & randy- thanks for the back up there. i was starting to think about all the people i've sold frags to and how many frag swaps i've gotten into the 'rare' category by using this coral(since the colony was so massive!) and was starting to feel pretty crappy about myself. lol.

i'll keep on taking pics to see how she does.
Old 07/21/2005, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

quick story since i've got time to talk about the hillae...

she is ULTRA mean. one of my lord colonies fell onto the hillae and when i found it in the morning i was pretty sure that the was going to be making lunch out of the hillae. i moved the lord off the hillae and saw no discernable damage at the moment. however, by the next day, the lord colony was looking ragged and had flat out disintegrated about 3 full size corallites. nothing but skeleton left.

this is the first coral i've seen take out a lord... pretty darn interesting to see it happen.
Old 07/21/2005, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

Yoshi, actually here is what I have seen.

If Lord or Echino sting some others they could win since they mean it but if two corals attached not sting following has been seen.

Hillae kills Lord
Echinatas kills Lord
Echino kills Lord
Yuma kills Lord
Yuma also kills Echino

Well, seems like when something fell on to Lord or Lord fell on to something Lord gets fried...
Old 07/21/2005, 02:02 PM
Premium Member

I've seen Lords wipe Echinos clocks right clean, guess some are stonger then others. FWIW, the Echino frag was really doing well, untill the Lord fell. It wasn't there all that long IIRC.