Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 12/21/2007, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

Question Keep Aggressive Tang?

Greetings all,

I have 3 fish in QT right now -hippo tang, yellow tang and yellow watchman goby. They are in a 3' 33 gallon in hypo right now. These are all small fish. The yellow being the biggest at 2". He's staked out his area of the tank, under a piece of LR and does his tail swipe thing when the blue and goby get near it.

I know fish come with different personalities but I don't want to add this guy to my display only to have him grow up into a bully. Should I get rid of him or will the increased space of a 120 cause his aggression to subside?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
Old 12/21/2007, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

Moving the fish to a larger tank helps, the tang is only showing the other fish thats his territory.

Each fish will have there own territory once in the big tank. Nothing to worry,about.
Old 12/21/2007, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Feeding well also helps to reduce aggression. You also should add the yellow tang to your display last, after the other fish have settled in.
Old 12/21/2007, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Yellow tangs a feisty in spite of their size.

A lot of peole have yellow tangs as they are a common fish.

I would add it to a 120.I keep onw in my 100 and there is no proble.

Always keep the fish well fed.
Old 12/21/2007, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

Sorry,off topic,

I notices two spelling errors on my post but I can't see how to edit it.Is there a way?
Old 12/21/2007, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

There is an "edit/delete" link at the top of each post. The last one beside profile, mail, search, buddy ,gallery.

Steve, I see in your sig that you have a purple, yellow and sailfin tang in the same tank. Being all zebramosa (sp?) tangs wouldn't the agression the through the roof? All the advice I have read says to only keep one of those those tangs in medium sized tanks that ours falls under. Must be another case of different fish with different attitudes.

I plan on adding a trigger and angel and other small guys to my tank. Everyone also says add the trigger last or add the angel last... Hard to decide which one.
Old 12/21/2007, 11:56 AM
Nothing to put here

What kind of trigger? Tangs are aggressive fish, and I would usually reccomend adding them last. It will be hard to add other similar-sized fish after the tangs.
Old 12/21/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

I am hoping for a male bluethroat trigger.
Old 12/21/2007, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

Also i noticed you said you have liverock in your hypo tank. It will no longer be liverock as the organisms will die off from the hypo. I would check your water parameters to make sure you do not get a spike....
Old 12/21/2007, 01:30 PM
Keeper of Tangs

yes dont use lr in a qt tank like that. Its pointless also, just throw some pvc in there.
Old 12/21/2007, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeMomma
There is an "edit/delete" link at the top of each post. The last one beside profile, mail, search, buddy ,gallery.

Steve, I see in your sig that you have a purple, yellow and sailfin tang in the same tank. Being all zebramosa (sp?) tangs wouldn't the agression the through the roof? All the advice I have read says to only keep one of those those tangs in medium sized tanks that ours falls under. Must be another case of different fish with different attitudes.

I plan on adding a trigger and angel and other small guys to my tank. Everyone also says add the trigger last or add the angel last... Hard to decide which one.
Thanks for the edit advice.

Keeping them well fed is the biggest plus I do.

I buy the square sheets of Nori meant for Sushi wraps(unflavored)and they get the equivalent of one a day as well as brine shrimp or something else.

The yellow tang is approx 5-7 years old.The sailfin is three in April,the blue tang will be three next June and the purple will be two in January.All are doing well.
Old 12/21/2007, 01:46 PM
Nothing to put here

They are pretty timid as far as triggers go. I think you might have some problems adding the trigger and angel after the tangs.
Old 12/21/2007, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

I had a lot of invert die-off on the LR as I lowered the salinity. That die off was siphoned out. I was told that the beneficial bacteria in the LR could still survive in low salinity. If I had to do it again I'd use a sponge rather than LR as its starting to look gross with the algae thats growing on it.

Hmmm... maybe I should get rid of the yellow temporarily and add other stuff first. My whole point was to add the yellow and blue together to reduce to aggression that will be caused when one is already established in a tank.

This hobby just gets more and more confusing.
Old 12/21/2007, 03:36 PM
Nothing to put here

The tangs are rather small... if the trigger and angel are larger when they are addedyou will have better success.