Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 12/11/2007, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

Nova Extreme Pro EXCLUSIVE!!! just arrived

Yep, you heard it. FedEx just dropped off my new 36" Nova Extreme Pro 6x39 fixture. Ive been waiting for this since i ordered it a month ago. Sweet....let the unpacking begin. woot!
Old 12/11/2007, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Are you gonna post some pics? I am waiting for my 48" to ship out, it's backordered till the 19th. Hope you like it.
Old 12/11/2007, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

yeah, ill have some pics to post. im waiting for it to warm up befire i fire her up...it was pretty cold when i unpacked it.
Old 12/11/2007, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

How are the reflectors????
Old 12/11/2007, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

they are NOT true individual reflectors, more of a pyramid-bent single reflector. however, the do appear to contour pretty well to each bulb and im sure with active coolings its a much better fixture than the old novas
Old 12/11/2007, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

Nice can't wait for pics
Old 12/11/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

im uploading them right now...so far i think these pics are great
Old 12/11/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

Old 12/11/2007, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

Old 12/11/2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

Old 12/11/2007, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

how much it lights up my office...

flash on...

tom deco 3 for good measure...

Old 12/11/2007, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

Old 12/11/2007, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

actinics...

daylights...

Old 12/11/2007, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

Nice light and no broken bulbs awesome.
Old 12/11/2007, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

initial reaction = impressed
Old 12/11/2007, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

The Old Nova Extremes were also fan cooled. I had a 8 bulb unit and it was just like the 6 bulb Pros with the fan cooling in the side panel. It too provided a pretty effective tunnel cooling effect.

Only thing really different is the reflectors. And as I figured, they are the same as the ones that Current has been using in the Outer Orbits w/T5 and some other fixtures. Individual channels bent from a single sheet. They dont completely envelop each bulb, unfortunately, but they do extend down to cober enough of the sides of the bulbs that I am sure that it will be a signifigant improvement.

When I first saw these coming out, I was a bit dissapointed. Yes, they improved the fixtures but they could have taken the fact that they realized they needed an upgrade and done it 100% right. They could have gone to true individuals or stayed with a single bent sheet but with a deeper, wider channel for each bulb. I think that this would have required a redesign of the fixture case itself. The new 6 bulb Pros seem to use the same case as the 8 bulb Nova extremes. That is probably why they didnt do it. That's not to rag on the fixture, I'm glad to see they are atleast moving forward and I still think it is a worthwhile improvement. Maybe next time they will jump ahead with truly optimized reflectors even if it means a new case design.

Anyway, it's an improvement, and thats a good thing.

Good luck with your new lighting.
Old 12/11/2007, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

Nice, what size tank is that?
Old 12/11/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DarG
The Old Nova Extremes were also fan cooled. I had a 8 bulb unit and it was just like the 6 bulb Pros with the fan cooling in the side panel. It too provided a pretty effective tunnel cooling effect.

Only thing really different is the reflectors. And as I figured, they are the same as the ones that Current has been using in the Outer Orbits w/T5 and some other fixtures. Individual channels bent from a single sheet. They dont completely envelop each bulb, unfortunately, but they do extend down to cober enough of the sides of the bulbs that I am sure that it will be a signifigant improvement.

When I first saw these coming out, I was a bit dissapointed. Yes, they improved the fixtures but they could have taken the fact that they realized they needed an upgrade and done it 100% right. They could have gone to true individuals or stayed with a single bent sheet but with a deeper, wider channel for each bulb. I think that this would have required a redesign of the fixture case itself. The new 6 bulb Pros seem to use the same case as the 8 bulb Nova extremes. That is probably why they didnt do it. That's not to rag on the fixture, I'm glad to see they are atleast moving forward and I still think it is a worthwhile improvement. Maybe next time they will jump ahead with truly optimized reflectors even if it means a new case design.

Anyway, it's an improvement, and thats a good thing.

Good luck with your new lighting.
Thanks. I agree that theyre certainly not the best light fixture on the market, but it is an improvement. So far I feel that it was a good purchase and that it will work well for me. For the price it really seems to look like itll be a good performer. only time will tell...

and i do plan to upgrade to ati, uvl, and geismann bulbs very shortly, in an effort to maximize the efficiency of the fixture.
Old 12/11/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazydante
Nice, what size tank is that?

thanks, it is 30g (36"x12"x16")
Old 12/11/2007, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

The Old Nova Extreme 8 bulb would keep anything you want as long as the tank wasnt too wide or deep. The new Pro's will do the same. You'll have plenty of light in that tank, no problem.
Old 12/11/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

im glad, thats what i was hoping for.
Old 12/11/2007, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

Wish they made taller legs, you can't service your tank with the legs provided.
Old 12/11/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

The legs set the lights pretty close to the water which is where they should be but on a narrow tank, it's a pain. Any way to hang it? It probably doesnt have hanging provisions, my old Nova didnt. But if you want to hang it, you can make a "sling" on each end out of wire cable in some silicone tubing to protect the fixture and then hang with another couple lengths of wire cable. Get yourself some adjustable hardware and it's an easy up and down as needed.
Old 12/11/2007, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

Where'd u get the fixture from. I've heard they make a 12x39w 72" fixture, but i cant find a place that sells any of the pros, let alone a price on one.
Old 12/11/2007, 09:42 PM
Charleston Reefer

How loud is the fans? That is the one thing i really hated about my old nova extreme.