Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 11/29/2007, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

Will an ice cap retro with 6 bulbs will be excellent lighting for a 100g (20" tall) sps tank or should I do 8 bulbs with IC ballast. What combination?

Thanks
Old 11/29/2007, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

I have a 29gal tank that I am thinking of putting t5's on. I know that you can drive t5's with a vho ballast. I was woundering if that would overdrive them or not?
Old 11/29/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

Painkiller, I asked a similar question and the bulb suggestion was
Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
ATI Aquablue

Grim says this will really help the colors "pop".
Old 11/29/2007, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

Grim.... what do you know/think of the Helios Super Blue bulb?
Old 11/29/2007, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jadeguppy
Painkiller, I asked a similar question and the bulb suggestion was
Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
ATI Aquablue

Grim says this will really help the colors "pop".

In this order?
I have seen a pic on here of a 10 bulbs fixture with all diffiernt bulbs in it. Can someone please dig it up and link it for me? I would like to see the color of the bulbs.
If I use the GE 6500k I have what bulb do you recommend replacing?
Thanks.

Last edited by painkiller1009; 11/29/2007 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11/30/2007, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

Ive been searching through your posts, but my aquarium supplier lists some bulbs that aren't listed in the posts here. Maybe they are the same as some but with a different name.

Im looking to cover a 90g with 6 bulbs and these are the ones I have to choose from:
Powerchrome T5 Fluorescent Bulb - Midday
Powerchrome T5 Fluorescent Bulb - Aquaflora
Powerchrome T5 Fluorescent Bulb - AquaBlue +
Powerchrome T5 Fluorescent Bulb - Actinic +
Powerchrome T5 Fluorescent Bulb - Pure Actinic

Which ones would be recommended for a full reef tank? Maybe none at all? If you wouldnt pick any of them recommend me the ones you would please.
Old 11/30/2007, 03:21 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by painkiller1009
I'm a total newb. I am converting my planted 55g to salt. I dont know what I'm going to be keeping as of yet. I want a 14k look though. What do you recommend for a 4x54w TEK? Right now I have 2 GE 6500k bulbs and 2 Giesemann Midday 6000K running for the planted tank.
Keep on of each of those lamps and add 2 blue pluses and see what you think. If it still isn't blue enough pull the midday and replace it with a UVL Super Actinic.
Old 11/30/2007, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeD
Thanks grim, now I was just curious. Why for a frag tank, 50/50 aquasuns and ATI blue + where in some other tanks, you have a wide range of different bulb combinations? Also, the tank will actually be part frag part display... A display frag tank if you will. So I'm going for a nice look too not just super growth.

Mike
Using the 50/50 mix wont look horrible but there are better looks for a display. What it will do is give you good growth and color. The Aquasuns are pretty much full spectrum and the Blue Plus will hit the Blue Green and actinic so it should promote good color.
Old 11/30/2007, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ganjero
Will an ice cap retro with 6 bulbs will be excellent lighting for a 100g (20" tall) sps tank or should I do 8 bulbs with IC ballast. What combination?

Thanks
6 should be plenty

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
ATI Pro Color
ATI Aquablue
GE 6500K
Blue Plus
Old 11/30/2007, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban_Squrill
I have a 29gal tank that I am thinking of putting t5's on. I know that you can drive t5's with a vho ballast. I was woundering if that would overdrive them or not?
Ice Cap VHO ballasts will overdrive the lamps/
Old 11/30/2007, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jennmac415
Grim.... what do you know/think of the Helios Super Blue bulb?
Nice lamp, perhaps slightly more green than an ATI blue plus. I actually prefer the helios but they are hard to find on line.
Old 11/30/2007, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FlamesFan
Ive been searching through your posts, but my aquarium supplier lists some bulbs that aren't listed in the posts here. Maybe they are the same as some but with a different name.

Im looking to cover a 90g with 6 bulbs and these are the ones I have to choose from:
Powerchrome T5 Fluorescent Bulb - Midday
Powerchrome T5 Fluorescent Bulb - Aquaflora
Powerchrome T5 Fluorescent Bulb - AquaBlue +
Powerchrome T5 Fluorescent Bulb - Actinic +
Powerchrome T5 Fluorescent Bulb - Pure Actinic

Which ones would be recommended for a full reef tank? Maybe none at all? If you wouldnt pick any of them recommend me the ones you would please.
Those are the Gieseman/D&D lamps. I would use one of each except for the Actinic Plus which is about the same as the Blue Plus, use 2 of those.

Front
Actinic Plus
Pure Actinic
Aquaflora
Aquablue
Midday
Actinic Plus
Old 11/30/2007, 09:37 AM
Thinking Too Hard

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Using the 50/50 mix wont look horrible but there are better looks for a display. What it will do is give you good growth and color. The Aquasuns are pretty much full spectrum and the Blue Plus will hit the Blue Green and actinic so it should promote good color.
Okay, can I also do 3 aquasuns, 2 blue+ and 1 super actinic or will that be weird (For frag tank use?)

And if I ever were to use this for a display, what 6 39W bulbs would you recommend (Just in case?)?

Also, these again are for use in a 6x39W powermodule.

Thanks again!

Mike
Old 11/30/2007, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

I am going to upgrade my 4x54 setup soon. What would be more par, adding two more bulbs, or overdriving (with a 660) the four I have?

I have read that overdriving is about 30% more par, is that true? If so it looks like adding two more bulbs is the clear winner.

Thanks
Old 11/30/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

I just got my 65 gallon 39lx19wx24 high aquarium.

I'm going bare bottom, most likely just sps corals and a 3-4 fish.

I want to put together my own light system and fans, unfortunately, there are thousands of t5 threads to read through so here goes.

1.) How many t5HO bulbs for this tank and your choice, +/or any overdriving? Plus, what is your recommended daily lighting sequence and times for the chosen bulbs?

2.) Instead of cleaning the lights and endcaps from the saltwater spray, is there any material (ie. glass or acrylic) to put between the lights and water to clean instead? And that doesn't screw up the light output's PAR.

3.) Who makes the best retrofit reflector's for t5's?

Thanks.

Last edited by kannorsk; 11/30/2007 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11/30/2007, 04:24 PM
Premium Member

T5 newB

Hello,
I am setting up a 125g tank from scratch in hopes of creating a good home for an anemone, and someone on the Anemone forum brought up an all t5 configuration.
I have been looking at a few 48" bulb configurations, and wanted to get some input on if these would supply the light I would need-

pre-build 8 x 48" setup-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260182566763

use 4 of the 48" or 60" from here-
http://www.sunlightsupply.com/produc...s%3D%26pgi%3D1

one of these- http://www.aquadirect.com/store/prod...cat=820&page=1
and one of these-
http://www.aquadirect.com/store/prod...cat=820&page=1

or the 8 x 48" or 6 x 60" retrofit kit here-

http://www.saltycritter.com/lighting...5-retrofit.htm

Any thoughts on any of these setups?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 11/30/2007, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Those are the Gieseman/D&D lamps. I would use one of each except for the Actinic Plus which is about the same as the Blue Plus, use 2 of those.

Front
Actinic Plus
Pure Actinic
Aquaflora
Aquablue
Midday
Actinic Plus
Thanks bud, I will go with your advice! Much appreciated
Old 11/30/2007, 08:32 PM
Premium Member

Re: T5 newB

Quote:
Originally posted by osprey3883
Hello,
I am setting up a 125g tank from scratch in hopes of creating a good home for an anemone, and someone on the Anemone forum brought up an all t5 configuration.
I have been looking at a few 48" bulb configurations, and wanted to get some input on if these would supply the light I would need-

pre-build 8 x 48" setup-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260182566763

use 4 of the 48" or 60" from here-
http://www.sunlightsupply.com/produc...s%3D%26pgi%3D1

The first one looks good but is actually junk because it doesn't have individual reflectors.

The the second one is ans SLS kit and while better than the first one is still a mediocre product from a mediocre company (as far as customer service/warranty support)

The Aquadirect kits and the Saltycritter kit will both give you the most PAR you can get out of T-5 retrofit technology since they both overdrive with IceCap ballasts and also use IceCap reflectors (which are the best retrofit reflector) plus they include waterproof endcaps which is very important if no shield is used.

You might also want to consider a PowerModule or an Aquactinics unit unless you only want to retrofit. Those fixtures are plug and play and already set-up with active cooling (which makes a huge difference). If you stick with retro you really need to install some fans to cool the bulbs (ends) to 95 degrees in order to get maximum PAR and lifespan on the bulbs.

Good luck,
James

one of these- http://www.aquadirect.com/store/prod...cat=820&page=1
and one of these-
http://www.aquadirect.com/store/prod...cat=820&page=1

or the 8 x 48" or 6 x 60" retrofit kit here-

http://www.saltycritter.com/lighting...5-retrofit.htm

Any thoughts on any of these setups?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 11/30/2007, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

I use 8x24 T5s on my current cube tank and would like to use T5s on my next tank. It will be 36long x 24tall. I keep 95% SPS, much of it higher light demanding acros. I will not have a canopy, so I have been looking at the 6x39 Ultrasolaris and the Powermodule. Would either of these fixtures work with 24" depth? Thanks for your help, it is definately appreciated.
Old 11/30/2007, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

I've been thinking of getting the 60" icecap retrofit kit from reefgeek, but there is a much smaller selection of bulbs to order at that size. My choices are:

ATI:
12000K Aquablue
Blue Plus
Pro Color
True Actinic 03

GE:
3000K Daylight
6500K Daylight

Giesemann:
6000K Midday Sun
11000K Aquablue
Actinic Plus
Pure Actinic 03

My hood has barely enough room for 6 bulbs with individual reflectors, but I think I'm going to start out at 4 and add as I need. My tank is still in the planning stages, I'm just trying to figure this all out. I think 4 overdriven 80w t-5s will be plenty for a 100 gallon tank with mostly softies and a few LPS. I was originally just going to just choose a 4 bulb combination from somewhere in this thread, but I have yet to find a combo that will work for me using the bulbs I have available. My stealth forum lurking tactics have failed me and thus I have to ask the question that 500 other people have asked so far: What bulb combo should I use? Using only those above, of course. No super actinics =

And btw, I'm not actually new here, I just forgot my password to my old account. Or it got deleted, It's been over a year since I last posted here.
Old 12/01/2007, 12:52 AM
Registered Member

Grim-at the beginning of November I posted on where to find a good T5 fixture 72". You suggested Aquatinics Constellation 14 bulb fixture. I looked at it and price was around $645.00. Was going to order after Christmas. Today I go back to website to look again and the same fixture is now $949.00. Thats a $300.00 increase in 20 days. Do you have any other suggestions where I can find a 72" fixture? That does not seem like a fair increase to me!! Is the fixture worth the increase??

thanks jolene
Old 12/01/2007, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

Im going to keep 1 of my GE 6500k bubls and try with the combo below. I want it to glow a little.
Just placed my order for
UVL Aquasun 10,000k
UVL Super Actinic 420nm
ATI Blue Plus

Grimm you think that will give a nice 14k look or higher?
Old 12/01/2007, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

Grim - I went with T5s on my new 280 back in March and have been very pleased. I can't remember the frequency that the bulbs should be changed?

Also, my current configuration is as follows:

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
ATI Aquablue
GE 3000K Call reefgeek for this lamp or use a UVL Aquasun
ATI Aquablue
GE 6500K Daylight
UVL Super Actinic
ATI Blue Plus

Are there any changes you would reccomend? I do find the center/left of my tank to be somewhat yellow. Is this from the 3000K?

Thanks for the help!
Old 12/01/2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeD
Okay, can I also do 3 aquasuns, 2 blue+ and 1 super actinic or will that be weird (For frag tank use?)

And if I ever were to use this for a display, what 6 39W bulbs would you recommend (Just in case?)?

Also, these again are for use in a 6x39W powermodule.

Thanks again!

Mike
Adding the actinic wouldn't hurt.

For a display I would run 3 Blue Pluses, 1 Actinic, 1 Aquasun and 1 either UVL 75/25 or ATI Aquablue.
Old 12/01/2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by barjam
I am going to upgrade my 4x54 setup soon. What would be more par, adding two more bulbs, or overdriving (with a 660) the four I have?

I have read that overdriving is about 30% more par, is that true? If so it looks like adding two more bulbs is the clear winner.

Thanks
It really depends. If your lamps are spead out and you add more by shoving the lamps together you will get a nice increase in PAR. If your lamps are already grouped together adding 2 more will do little except expand the area you are lighting up. Overdriving 54 watt lamps increases intensity about 35%