Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/25/2007, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

Help please: brown string coming from anemone

Today when I checked my anemone, there was this dark brown stringy stuff coming from it (about 2-3 in long). I am not certain if this was coming from the mouth or not (could not tell). I have had the anemone for about 6 weeks and it seems fine (definetly nothing like this has happened). The only thing that has changed is the addition of zoas this weekend (not placed anywhere near the anemone) and I fed it some frozen cyclops with a turkey baster yesterday (first time doing this). Could the stringy stuff be related to that???

I did a water change and tested water parameters early today and everything was normal. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 11/25/2007, 08:22 PM
Reefer

Sounds like classic "taking a dump" in the anemone world. It should be okay.
Old 11/25/2007, 08:23 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Well...it could be poop...and likely is...

...or it could be expelling zooanthellae...but that usually won't happen unless it's dying for some reason...
Old 11/25/2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

the stringy stuff is zooxanthellae which will prob. be replaced by other strains. it's something they'll do to regulate and adjust to changing conditions such as temp., light and so on. you only need to be concerned if the anemone bleaches.
Old 11/26/2007, 02:04 AM
Slowly Stocking

I doubt it's zooxanthellae. More likely it's expelling waste products leftover from digestion.

Check the red house.
Old 11/26/2007, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. This is very helpful; I appreciate it. So, it sounds like as long as the anemone is not losing its color/bleaching (which it is not), that it should be ok.
Old 11/29/2007, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

sound like expelling waste if it was back to normal withing the next couple of hours then it would just be waste