Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Capital District Marine Aquarist Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2006, 12:41 AM
eating my reef

you guys having a meeting this month?

Hey all,
Sorry to butt into your club forum. Just wondering if you guys are doing anything reef-related this week. Probably not with the holiday and all. Anyway, I am here with the family for the week and would love to see what the reefers from my hometown are up to. Way back in the day, I used to work in the saltwater room at Village Aquarium...they are gone now though huh?

I hear swamp bottom is the place to go now and perhaps country pets? Anywhere else I should check out while I am here?
Old 12/20/2006, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

Where are you? Their are 2 places in Schenectady and one in Clifton Park. Plus one in downtown Albany(Delmar).
Old 12/20/2006, 08:35 AM
Benevolent Dictator

plus dont forget eddies
Old 12/20/2006, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jallard
plus dont forget eddies
That was the Clifton Park.

~
Old 12/20/2006, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

Well....he's already seen Eddies...see the "Eddies" thread.
Old 12/20/2006, 10:54 AM
eating my reef

Davey Jones locker you mean?

I am in Averill Park but we are going to be out and about for the shopping.
Old 12/20/2006, 10:55 AM
eating my reef

Or is there a new place in Delmar?

Thanks for any advice you can give me....just looking to see some cool stuff and what the local area has to offer.
Old 12/20/2006, 01:40 PM
CDMAS

Mark,

I'll PM you my number. If you are going to be around next week at all give me a call.

Define Irony: Algae growing on a snail.
Old 12/20/2006, 01:49 PM
Moved On

I'm a Village Aquarium Ex-employee also. I ran the freshwater and saltwater with these guy GARY and MIKE. I see TOM (big fat guy) on occasion. He works for PetSmart as a manager now. MIKE KLONOWSKI ( reptile guy) was in a big car accident about 2 or 3 years ago, and had a pet place called THE ZOO down in Schenectady at his fathers Bowling supply place on Central (State st.) I'm around in the latham area still just down the road from where village was. It's completely different now.

Jimmy the Monkey is in a monkey preserve somewhere in Florida. As for BOB and his Brother, I have no idea what happened to them.... I assume Bob is still dancig somewhere and tawking witf a longsk izlanud accent.....
Old 12/20/2006, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

Country Pets? I know of swamp bottom,union,eddies and davey jones locker and fin and feather in pittsfield thats it is there more?
Old 12/20/2006, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

He probably was referring to Ryan's store in Mechanicville (Country Living Center)
Old 12/21/2006, 08:36 PM
eating my reef

LOL Dave,
Funny stuff. I still have a scar on my hand from Jimmy not to mention a lingering phobia of crazed monkeys jumping on me. My time there predates yours a bit I guess....I was there when they were next to Coco's though I remember well Bob and Frank (dated his stepdaughter actually). Lots of funny stories about those guys. I have to say I am glad I got the heck out of there when I did. As much as all the cool critters enthralled me, I was always bummed how things were treated, at least back in the old store. I knew Mike. That guy really knew his (herp) stuff especially being totally self taught. He used to get some crazy rare and expensive stuff in there too though not much of a market for it around here. Hope hes OK from the accident.
Old 12/21/2006, 08:41 PM
eating my reef

Just checked out Swamp Bottom....looks like a store with a lot of potential. Tony was really nice and hes got some cool stuff. Will be interesting to check it out next time we are back in town to see how its coming along. Very impressed with all the inverts. Most stores dont have anywhere near the number of shrimps, crabs and seastars and Tony said he was low on stock too!!!

Matt, I am sending you a pm.
Old 12/21/2006, 08:44 PM
CDMAS

Quote:
[i]
Jimmy the Monkey is in a monkey preserve somewhere in Florida. As for BOB and his Brother, I have no idea what happened to them.... I assume Bob is still dancig somewhere and tawking witf a longsk izlanud accent..... [/B]
I believe the monkey preserve is Monkey Jungle in homestead

Define Irony: Algae growing on a snail.
Old 12/21/2006, 09:07 PM
eating my reef

hmm have to avoid that place next time I down that way....I am sure he still remembers me! The worst part is that I always gave him treats and was really kind to him so it was like biting the hand that fed him literally. I am sure he was just angry at being in that ridiculously small cage and the abuse from his former owner. Having worked with other primates since, I realize that it was noting personal, they just dont cotton to some folks. He actually really loved Bob though. Bob would come in the morning and let him out for a couple hours. Whenever Bob came down, Jimmy would run over to him and Bob would hand feed him peanuts. We used to live for the "shoot shower" trick Jimmy would do. If people were teasing him or sometimes when he was just angry, he would carefully fill his water dish with shavings and poop. Then he would wait. When there was a sizeable crowd gathered round, he would run the bowl up to the screened top and smash it into it. Stuff would fly everywhere and coat most of the onlookers with a special treat. Very smart that little monkey, glad to hear he is in a better place.
Old 12/21/2006, 10:48 PM
Moved On

HAHAHAHHHA !

yep thats good O'l Jimmy !

hhahaah good stuff there ! hahhhahah

yeah, He dislike black people too.... He would do the "Strained -poo bombs".... he would take a nice steamer in his hand and slam it through the wire mesh and wel..... give you a jullianed "fecal shower" was epic when we warned a bunch of hoodlums to not harass the monkey, but they didn't listen and they got their "FUBU" jackets all soiled and Bob refused to pay the drycleaning bill since they were warned to leave the monkey alone.... TWICE.

Jimmy really didn't like Men, but he loved me, and Gary, and Bob and Frank. I acltualy was "allowed" in his cage to clean it on a dare, and Jimmy let me clean it no problem.... I also spoiled him with LIVE GOLDFISH treats

yeah, Bob and Frank really didn't care very well for a lot of the stuff, but I know when I was there the fish department was quite spiffy

the Bird lady was a nutter too. I can't remember her name, but she was LOCO.
Old 12/21/2006, 10:51 PM
Benevolent Dictator

I loved the serval cats they had.......
Old 12/21/2006, 11:51 PM
eating my reef

Yeah the servals were really cool for sure although a little crazy to have as a pet IMHO. When I worked for WCS we took in several including one from a guy who was keeping it in Manhattan (not the same fellow who had a tiger and a Caiman in Harlem)! Remember that these are basically wild grasslands cats that often run down prey at 35+ mph! Yikes.

LOL Dave, that place was flypaper for nuts when I worked there. A lot (OK most) of the stories I have aren't appropriate for the RC audience....probably similar to any poorly/loosely managed retail store's slaves experience plus animals and felons I imagine.
Old 12/22/2006, 04:01 AM
Moved On

I bet we could have eachother in stitches for atleast a good 3 hours with stories of "THAT PLACE"..........
Old 12/22/2006, 06:18 AM
Premium Member

I too worked for Village for a while...... I was in the Round Lake store. That place was Fawked up.......

Mike Klonowski is doing pretty good since his accident. he is my parents neighbor. he still has his shop in Schenectady, still really into his reptiles.

We could sit for a while telling stories over beers....... sounds like a good time!

Chris