Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Capital District Marine Aquarist Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/23/2006, 11:37 PM
Registered Member.

merry xmas

I just wanted to wish everyone and their loved ones a safe and happy holiday. I hope everyone gets what they want . see you all in Jan.
Old 12/24/2006, 01:56 PM
Premium Member

I got what I wanted ....a Neogonodactylus wennerae!!! (finally after all the months of waiting to find one)

Amy, I can see why you are addicted to these guys...I love him! He is soooo cute. Just a young one...still red.

How many do you have at this point?
Old 12/24/2006, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Linda C.
I got what I wanted ....a Neogonodactylus wennerae!!! (finally after all the months of waiting to find one)

Amy, I can see why you are addicted to these guys...I love him! He is soooo cute. Just a young one...still red.

How many do you have at this point?
If you had just put "a mantis shrimp" I wouldn't have had to google that rediculously long scientific name!

At least I now know what a Neogonodactylus wennerae is.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12/24/2006, 03:02 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!!

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 12/24/2006, 03:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by masmedic
If you had just put "a mantis shrimp" I wouldn't have had to google that rediculously long scientific name!

But where would be the fun in that???? plus you got the bonus of learning something new today

Also, I'm so happy for Christmas this year.....I got two!!!! The other is green.

edit:

Scott,

I have to credit Toyota Guy for identifying them for me, otherwise they would of only been "Mantis Shrimp"

Last edited by Linda C.; 12/24/2006 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12/24/2006, 03:46 PM
Moved On

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, our best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced with the most enjoyable traditions of religious persuasion or secular practices of your choice with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. We also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2007, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make our country great (not to imply that the United States is necessarily greater than any other country) and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.

By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.

Disclaimer: No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a significant number of electrons were slightly inconvenienced.

cheers,

Dave ESPI
Old 12/24/2006, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

Merry Christmas Dave
Old 12/24/2006, 05:18 PM
Registered Member.

linda I have four. I have been breaking down some of my tanks. I am working full time and school full time. it has become to much. the ones I have kept live in peace with my fish. the others went to my friend in NYC. he has around 20.
ps. merry xmas dave
Old 12/24/2006, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Dave....

You're absolutely in the wrong profession!

You should be in politics.

Very well written. Thanks for the 'read'.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave ESPI
Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, our best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced with the most enjoyable traditions of religious persuasion or secular practices of your choice with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. We also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2007, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make our country great (not to imply that the United States is necessarily greater than any other country) and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.

By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.

Disclaimer: No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a significant number of electrons were slightly inconvenienced.

cheers,

Dave ESPI
Old 12/24/2006, 09:42 PM
Premium Member

Merry Christmas. hope everyone has a great day...
Old 12/24/2006, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Happy Ho........

HO...........
Old 12/25/2006, 08:40 AM
Premium Member

Merry Christmas everybody!
Old 12/25/2006, 10:16 AM
Reef Tank Addict

Merry Christmas
Old 12/25/2006, 10:33 AM
CDMAS Member

Merry Christmas....ummm....see Espi's disclaimer...but Merry Christmas anyways...
Old 12/25/2006, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by partagas
Happy Ho........
Never saw one of these but happy holidays all
Old 12/26/2006, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by masmedic

At least I now know what a Neogonodactylus wennerae is.

Merry Christmas!
Some photos of the little guy with his Christmas dinner...snap, snap, snap!

Old 12/26/2006, 10:26 PM
Registered Member.

you feed him live snails? I don't feed any of my mantis live food. I feed them shrimp,scallop,clam,fish soaked in vitamins.
Old 12/26/2006, 10:41 PM
Premium Member

He found that one on his own. He has also had Krill...but he has only been here a few days. I'm reading up on them and hoping to provide him with a good diet. Any suggestions would be great.

Which vitamins do you use Amy? I have been trying to find Beta Glucan locally...but I think I'm going to have to do it via the internet? Anybody out there know where I can pick some up?

Did you get the one mantis out of your sump that you told me about? If you still have him I would love to get him from you.
Old 12/26/2006, 11:47 PM
Registered Member.

not yet. I haven't had time to take apart the tank yet. I dose iodine every week for their molts. do not have high watt or bright lights on them. this can lead to shell disease. also mix up their food. scallop,prawn,shrimp,clams and mix it with selcon. do not run carbon at all on their tanks. they do put out alot of waste,becareful about how much you feed. I do every other day. if they turn down food and you do not see them for a day or two. most likely they are getting ready to molt. leave the shell alone they eat it.
Old 12/26/2006, 11:55 PM
Premium Member

what are the negative effects of carbon? What do you find best for filtration?

Also, I have been doing some reading on the Mantis site but if you know of good articles on their care can post a link?
Old 12/27/2006, 07:02 AM
Registered Member.

there is not alot of information about them. Dr. roy is the best. they are very sensitive to additives put into the tank. studies hve shown that carbon puts them at a higher risk for shelll disease. some many people kill these amazing critters and never take the time to studie them. most mantis are very hardy . the only thing that will kill them is a bad molt. now my G.smithi has shell disease. I have been dosing her tank with iodine and keeping her calcium levels up and all other readings perfect. she has just had her second molt . she has one spot left of the disease and I think she is going to pull through. the older the mantis is the less it will molt . the first 24 hours after a molt is when the mantis is at its weakest stage.