Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/17/2005, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

recommendation for a good closed loop pump

i have to upgrade my water movement on my 120 gallon. right now i have a 1200 gph mag drive pump in my sump and a maxijet 12oo in the tank. as i see it i have 3 options, 1 - buy a higher gph sump pump and use the 1200 for a closed loop or 2 - buy a tunze for the display tank or 3 - buy a new pump specifically for a closed loop.
the main difficulty that i have is that my tank is framed in and it might be difficult to run more plumbing below into the cabinet. i might be able to locate the pump above the tank & have the inlet inside the overflow , but would this be dangerous because of the possibility of leaks, or that it might run dry?
not sure what to do.
Old 07/17/2005, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

I think you'll run into some prob's with some pumps running above the tank. Sounds like your best bet would be to add a couple of Tunze's (or Seio's....they're much cheaper) and be done with it.
Old 07/17/2005, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

I like MAG pumps they are quiet and reliable
Old 07/17/2005, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

has anyone tried putting a pump above the tank?
Old 07/17/2005, 10:34 PM
Premium Member

if you put your pump above your tank .. you will loose performance as it takes alot out of a pump to suck water rather than push it.. most are not made to do what you are speaking about and you end up wasting energy in a big way. Plus you will need to prime your pump every time you loose suction IE your power going out, micro-bubble build up inside you pump.. its just not a great idea if you can help it all round. if you place your pump right next to your main display tank, pump the water up hill from there... you will be in better shape and you could never loose prime.

Located in or around Victoria BC ? say Hi