Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/30/2007, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

Millie lost tissue due to power head

So I put my modded maxijet back into the tank a couple days ago... it was CLIPPED to the rim of the tank but somehow still managed to move (they push so much water!) anyway it ended up being pointed directly at a small colony of purple millipora. When I found it a LOT of the tissue had been "blown" off and it was mostly white. I immediately removed the powerhead of course... since then it's gotten a lot of purple back but still looks "raw". How good are these at regenerating from incidents like this? Is it possible it'll make a full recovery?
Old 07/30/2007, 09:22 AM
Premium Member

If its healthy (ie, it was growing well before) it will probably grow back quickly. If its a large area that lost tissue, you may want to clip away the dead branches so algae doesn't take hold and slow growth.
Old 07/30/2007, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lobster
If its healthy (ie, it was growing well before) it will probably grow back quickly. If its a large area that lost tissue, you may want to clip away the dead branches so algae doesn't take hold and slow growth.
I agree, what he said.
Old 07/30/2007, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

It actually was taking off quite nicely growth wise... the fastest growing SPS I had infact. It started from a dime sized piece 2 months ago and is silver dollar sized now... with that being said there isn't much to clip off but it is looking a lot better today so I am confident it may make a full recovery. I was pretty upset when I first found it, even though it's not a huge colony it was one of my favorites and was happy it was growing so well...
xcrossing my fingersx