Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/30/2006, 06:34 PM
Architecture Fanatic

Location: "Does it seem like were walking uphill" "a rubix cube"
Quote:
Originally posted by doody
Ditto!
Also, it seems that everyone is working with the 5g containers. Thats a big footprint for the tank I have now. Is anyone working on a 3g container? If this works good I'll make a 5g one for my 125 in the works.
Ditto here as well.

-alien
Old 03/30/2006, 06:38 PM
Architecture Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefdaddy1
It will actually be in my fish room, The house is being built starting next month, Michigan winters are a *****. The room will be big enough for a 500 gallon wall unit. That I am bilding as well. But Iam gonna try this on my 200 right now. I will use a Hurricane overflow rated at 600 GPH to fill it. It will be gate valved on the return so I can determine kneck height of the foam. I hope it works I love to save on electric bills and the Air pump I got is very good on that, Gets rid of 4 Sedra 9000 anyway. lol
500g in the works huh
I cant wait to read about that project!

Make sure you post it in the big tank forum here. I know alot of people will want to read about it

Good luck with your project!

-alien
Old 04/08/2006, 12:24 AM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

Any updates here?
Old 04/08/2006, 09:38 AM
Big Boy Pants

No updates from me, till I get my 210gal up & running. I did cut the height of the skimmer neck down quite abit. It's going to be a week or so. Then I'll post some more pics.

Proud Member of the wisconsinreefsociety.org &
cmas.net
Old 04/08/2006, 11:27 AM
Architecture Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by prugs
No updates from me, till I get my 210gal up & running. I did cut the height of the skimmer neck down quite abit. It's going to be a week or so. Then I'll post some more pics.
Cant wait
Old 04/09/2006, 08:33 AM
Premium Member

My only update is that I was discussing this skimmer with some of the mechanical engineers at work (with out getting into the degree of nerdyness of the project ). Basically I'm trying to avoid drilling too many holes in the new jug and trying to avoid spending too much money on the project by re-using two smaller pumps. So, if one has a few smaller pumps, by putting them in parallel, the flow will add... where putting them in series will add the head (pointless for this project). Also, if the pumps are not sized identical, then the head between the two will reach equilibrium, so you will get flow based on one pressure (if they have a common point befre the skimmer).

Just a semi-useful tidbit.

I'm still putting the main tank together, so I will be a little longer for me, but I will say that I am planning on running the return via this skimmer and having the skimmer be in-sump to avoid leak issues.
Old 04/09/2006, 08:07 PM
Moved On

My update is that I have got the Jug I needed, and the Uniseal for the Neck. Waiting on the airstones to arrive and the whitewater airpump. When I get it all together I will post how a slow flow Airstone skimmer functions. I hope its big enough for 200 g.
Old 04/20/2006, 04:09 PM
Big Boy Pants

It's working. Finally got the 210gal plumbed, filled with rock, & the skimmer is going crazy. I'm skimming really wet for now. Want to get all the crud from the rock out. Will have to dial it in later.
Pictures to follow, when I get some time.

cmas.net
Old 04/21/2006, 12:20 PM
Big Boy Pants

Here is a pic after 12hrs of skimming. Running a little wet for liverock curing, but not bad.

Here you can see how much I cut down the original acrylic tube neck.

Sweet!

Here is a pick of almost 300#s of rock curing. Now I have to start cleaning up, building the doors & getting the hood on. Oh and rearrange the rock.

cmas.net
Old 04/21/2006, 12:23 PM
Registered ID10T

It seems to be doing a great job for skimming wet.
Thats some nice skimmate there. I have a few of these jugs laying around. Perhaps I will look into making one of these.
Stewie
Old 04/21/2006, 12:45 PM
Flowalicious

What diameter neck there?

What pumps?
Old 04/21/2006, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

Very Nice prugs
Old 04/21/2006, 07:02 PM
Big Boy Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConley
What diameter neck there?

What pumps?
In Wisconsin you have to say. What diameter neck there hey?
It's a 2-1/2" OD, 2-1/4" ID. It's extruded acryilc tube from the local plastic supplier in town.

You will need an o-ring to go around the neck of the bottle, & seal against the inside of the acylic tube. I couldn't find a 1/4" diameter o-ring, used 3/16" diameter with some silicone tape around the neck to make up the difference.

2 x Genx-2400 NW pumps.
You could do the skimmer with just one pump. When unplugging one pump it will skim. You just have to adjust the outlet pipe up some.

cmas.net
Old 04/29/2006, 08:57 PM
Premium Member

Prugs,

Do you think I'm wasting my time with only one GENX2500 pump? I'm working out the plumbing to the skimmer right now. I don't have room for a 2nd pump, so I may need to replace the 2500 with a 3500 or larger pump, or simply go with what I have.

What do you think?

Also, can you post some pics of how you handled the skimmer output? It looks like you have the pipe going up into a ???. No valve to control the water level?

Also, you using unions to connect your plumbing onto the skimmer?

Looks really good.
Old 04/29/2006, 09:00 PM
Registered Member.

Prugs, HE Double L YEAH!
Old 04/29/2006, 09:29 PM
Big Boy Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by dela
Prugs,

Do you think I'm wasting my time with only one GENX2500 pump? I'm working out the plumbing to the skimmer right now. I don't have room for a 2nd pump, so I may need to replace the 2500 with a 3500 or larger pump, or simply go with what I have.

What do you think?

Also, can you post some pics of how you handled the skimmer output? It looks like you have the pipe going up into a ???. No valve to control the water level?

Also, you using unions to connect your plumbing onto the skimmer?

Looks really good.
I put 2 pumps on because I have a 210gal main tank. I figuered 2 smaller pumps were better than one large one. If you are going to run a smaller tank, one pump should be enough.

I control the skimmer with that pipe going up into the air. I saw a friends Euroreef & they are adjustable with an o-ring slip fit adjustment. I made my own version with a 1.5" & 2" PVC pipe.
On the 1.5" PVC pipe you cut 2 grooves to accept 2(2"OD x 1-3/4"ID o-rings). Then the 2" pipe slides over the 1-1/2" pipe with a friction fit. You adjust the skimmate by raising or lowering the 2" pipe. Very slick & no expensive gate valve to gum up. I don't have any pics yet. Just finished it yesterday.

I am using unions to connect the pumps. But I shortened them up to save space. I use uniseals on the water bottle & its a friction fit for the pipe (no leaks if you want to run externally).

Thankyou

cmas.net
Old 04/29/2006, 11:36 PM
Premium Member

If someone already suggested this ignore it... I read about half the postings, and find this project very interesting, but since my 55g has no use for it I don't have the patience to read further.

I saw the "cut off part of the cylinder of another 5g and glue it to the top as a collection cup" idea. Couldn't you cut off the top of a second 5g, and use that as the base of a collection cup, cutting part of the cylinder of the same second jug and glueing that onto the collection cup base to create a removable collection cup? If you cut the spout of the collection cup jug off an inch or so to glue the cap that comes on the jugs inside, you could have a removable collection cup that seals as well as the original jug cap does.

Someone may have suggested this or something better, so forgive if somewhere past page 5 of this thread exposed a better option.

-Ken
Old 04/30/2006, 12:51 AM
Big Boy Pants

The collection cup seals perfectly as is. The grove around the top of the bottle allows for an o-ring to seal against the neck of the collection cup.

cmas.net
Old 04/30/2006, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

Is there any point to making the top of the skimmer any wider? Earlier posts suggested it would be a very good idea to increase the neck size. I have a 4" uniseal to make the top bigger, but quite frankly I'm not sure how to cut a perfect 5" diameter hole!

Also, did you put the skimmer input on the side of the jug? I think the way my plumbing works, I may need to put the skimmer input on the angled part of the jug... If there is enough room.

Also, how did you modify the unions? Just cut the ends off?

And what is deal with the GenX venturi fitting? It does not look to be all that good as it does not extend inside where the water flows. I'm either going to attach a air pump to get some air in there or else make my own venturi fitting!
Old 04/30/2006, 03:38 PM
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper

Any reason a 5" hole saw wouldn't do it?? That's what I've use to cut 5" holes for stereo speakers in my boat.... I would think w/ the right touch and prep it would come out. IDK though.
Old 04/30/2006, 03:41 PM
Premium Member

Never seen one that big.. I guess they must come that big. Will check HD on the way home...
Old 04/30/2006, 03:48 PM
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper

HD is where I got mine. They aren't always cheap, but like all tools it's great to have more!! I am using the two piece hole saws where you change out the saw part only.....Post pics of your attempts, I'm going to look at making something like this too.
Old 04/30/2006, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

Will do.
Old 04/30/2006, 06:41 PM
Big Boy Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by dela
Is there any point to making the top of the skimmer any wider? Earlier posts suggested it would be a very good idea to increase the neck size. I have a 4" uniseal to make the top bigger, but quite frankly I'm not sure how to cut a perfect 5" diameter hole!

Also, did you put the skimmer input on the side of the jug? I think the way my plumbing works, I may need to put the skimmer input on the angled part of the jug... If there is enough room.

Also, how did you modify the unions? Just cut the ends off?

And what is deal with the GenX venturi fitting? It does not look to be all that good as it does not extend inside where the water flows. I'm either going to attach a air pump to get some air in there or else make my own venturi fitting!
You don't need to make the neck a larger diameter. It works as is.
If you have a uniseal that large, by all means give it a go. I would cut the neck off. Then use your hole saw to cut a hole in a board. Now place the board over the top of the bottle, 7 you have youself a guide for drilling the big hole.

The unions were shortened on each end using a wood lathe. but you coud cut or sand them down also.

I have a picture of my venturi in my gallery. The GenX venturies do not suck (air that is). Also look at H20ENG gallery, he has good venturi pics. You don't need an air pump.

cmas.net
Old 05/01/2006, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

I'm going to pass on the neck modification for now. 4" diameter pipe is pretty darn big!

I did get a nifty extender though. Perfect for adjusting the height of the output the way you described (two pipes with o-rings in between). Unfortunately when you add the TEE, and the extender, the output gets really long (tall). So I will have to cut each piece down to make things fit.... That sort of mod usually ends up adds an extra trip or two to the old hardware store!