Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/07/2005, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

achilles or powder blue

I have a 300g reef with a yellow tang and im intrested in adding 2 more. I have been researching tangs for quite some time, and have come down two these two and maybe a chevron. I know both tangs aren't the easiest and there track records aren't that good. With that being said, for those who have had expienrence with these can you tell me the problems you came across while caring for them and your preference on which one to choose
Old 06/07/2005, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

I just lost my PBT after about 6 months. He struggled with reoccuring bouts of ich the entire time. The last time he got an outbreak, I hadn't introduced any new livestock in at least three weeks. This time it got real bad and he died. Its a fairly established reef tank. I was able to catch him once to treat him. He got wise to that and started sleeping behind the rocks.
Old 06/07/2005, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

i had an achilles. always my favorite tang but had stability problems with my tank. very suseptible to ich and need very high flow rates and very important is the stability of ur tank( temp, ph, salinity, etc) salinity and temp are what did mine in.
Old 06/07/2005, 04:16 PM
Go Sooners!

I've had my PBT for a little over a month. Now. The hardest part was getting him to eat. Started with picking off rocks, nori clip, then he ate basically everything I put in there. My levels are all stable, with the exception of the temp. It's starting to get into the 80's in my tank due to the hotter weather outside. He did have some ick for several weeks but looks really good now. Ick is all gone and he's very fat and healthy.
Old 06/08/2005, 02:31 AM
Registered Member

I have the same problem..PBT not eating...she looks healthy but im fearing she has ich as shes flicking (majorly worried shes my fave)

can fish get over it themselves sometimes or do you always have to treat? as I kept a Longhorn Cow about 2 years ago and he fought it off himself all the time very quickly.
Old 06/08/2005, 02:36 AM
Registered Member

forget the chevron and go with a Sohal and an Achilles
Old 06/08/2005, 11:14 AM
It tastes like burning

I would prefer to have the Achilles Tang over the Purple. I wouldn't really consider a Chevron. They are great eye-candy as juveniles, but their adult coloration is not so hot.
Old 06/08/2005, 11:15 AM
It tastes like burning

Edit... I meant a PBT instead of Purple.
Old 06/08/2005, 11:20 AM
Registered Member.

I have had both the achilles and the pbt. I didn't have luck with either. ich got them both. I captured a couple of times but ich cot them anyway. I have two sohal tangs. They are very hardy. they lived through both ich breakouts. No problems since. I am in the process of adding another fish. He has been in qt for 3 weeks. He has had the dip and the hypo treatment. I am bringing the salinity up currently. He will be ready to go next monday.
Old 06/08/2005, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

As long as you QT I don't think you'll have a huge problem with them both. Treat them with an ich med or hypo while they are in QT and you'll have a pretty healthy tang when you let it go in the main.
Old 06/08/2005, 01:45 PM
Registered Member.

looked the tang over (dulsmier). It is doing great. It is about to eat me out of nori.
Old 06/08/2005, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

hey thanks, for the replies. I do though have a couple questions now. Just to make sure i'm right in this an achilles and a powder blue should not go together. The pb agression is more, but the achilles is the harder tang to keep. Also i think i have changed my chevhron descion to a purple tang to go along with the yellow and the achilles/ powder blue.
Old 06/08/2005, 03:55 PM
Registered Member.

sounds like you have a good understanding. Both the achilles and the powder blue are tuff together. If you introduce them together you may be able to keep both. Your tank is large enough that the will set up there on domaine. The purple is easier along with the yellow. Good luck.

keep us informed with the progress
Old 06/09/2005, 01:00 AM
Premium Member

I think you should consider a Chevron tang. They are beautiful juv. and in my opinion also attractive adults. They are hardier then the achilles/pbt and more peaceful. They are less likely to fight with your yellow tang then the purple tang.

I also had an achilles who broke out in ick off and on for two years.

Here is a picture of an adult Chevron. They are black with blue lines.
http://species.fishindex.com/photo_3...vron_tang.html
Old 06/09/2005, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

i think u should have both of them, they are so nice looking fish..

ur is a big tank, so why worried???
Old 06/09/2005, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

ok, thanks, so with the possibility of keeping both? i have a few questions. I know the achilles like parameters in the tank stable and was wondering what salinity levels they like and temp for the ideal. Also regarding salinity, my levels tend to change based on how often i add water do does the achilles mind this changes or is it best to always try to maintain it at a constant.
Old 06/09/2005, 11:33 AM
Registered Member.

I think it best to try and keep stable parameters of pH, salinity and temp to decrease the stress of the animals. I have notices with any of adjustments +/- I have had issues with the fish becoming stressed and ich becoming an issue.
Old 06/09/2005, 01:20 PM
Go Sooners!

The achilles is one of the most delicate and demanding fish you can get. You will need nothing less than stable water conditions for it to thrive. If you decide to get it, please do your homework. They love very strong, turbulant water flow. Basically pummel them with powerheads or whatever you will use for water movement.
Old 06/10/2005, 07:54 AM
Registered Member

thanks, so as a final thought a yellow, achilles, purple work in the 300 thanks, and if so would another smaller tang work
Old 06/10/2005, 07:59 AM
Registered Member.

If you have a chance look at the dulsmier tang. It is a larger tang and has a docile nature.

You have plenty of room for more than one tang.

good luck!!
Old 06/10/2005, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

would a naso tang be to much, i know they get huge 18', but they are really docile. If a naso not to much which variety do most of you prefer the blonde or the regular
Old 06/10/2005, 10:32 AM
Registered Member.

Your tank is suited for more than 2 or three tangs. which one is astheticlly pleasing to you and do it. Just do it. A pair of blondes' would be great too!