Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2008, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

pretty cool man. good luck
Old 01/01/2008, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Very cool, I like how clean of a set up this is.
Old 01/01/2008, 06:58 PM
Premium Member

I will be looking to get a calcium reactor in the future and the Neptune Systems Lunar Simulator as well. Otherwise, only have two more immediate fish I have coming soon which are a Tailspot Blenny and a Pink Barred Goby.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys.

Lee
Old 01/01/2008, 09:35 PM
TRC Leader

Well done.

I really like all the planning that went into the tank, as well as how you documented it so far.

The peanut worm you mentioned is actually a spaghetti worm, for those reading along.
Old 01/01/2008, 10:19 PM
Keeper of Tangs

wow beautiful tank, good luck!
Old 01/02/2008, 08:07 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Marc, you are correct spaghetti worm it is!!

thor32766 - Thanks and I see you are the "Keeper of Tangs" Any experience with Mustard/Jewel Tangs (Acanthurus guttatus)? I think that might be my next tang.
Old 01/03/2008, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

Good deal nice set up . Especially like the acrylic rods to stack the rocks.
Old 01/03/2008, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

Beautiful thats all I can say
Old 01/03/2008, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

why is it that some people can get such a great deal by going to ebay, and they continuosly get great deals there, and, and, and.... will you teach me ihoy. the last 5 times ive used ebay ive had my money taken without ever getting my stuff. were talking hundreds of dollars at a time!
im just kidding tho, you dont have to teach me, i wont ever use ebay again! haha.
keep up the good updates!
Old 01/03/2008, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

I always check the user rating and actually read the ratings, I read ALL the fine print (I would say a large percentage of people selling things reef related regularly are more on the shady side (IMO).

And you have to search very creatively (I have gotten bargains by searching on the misspelling of what I am looking for!)

Sorry to hear you got taken if you call Ebay's customer service, they are usually good at helping.

Lee
Old 01/03/2008, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

well if your ever buying a drum machine from a guy in england, make sure to find out if he has sold your item to someone else before you pay him... lol

so hows the reef tank doin?
Old 01/03/2008, 10:23 PM
Premium Member

You got to be kidding me? Someone once stole my identity and sold a $6,000 research item to a Dr. Of course, the item never existed. Felt very bad for the man. Ebay finally got it cleared up but I don't know if he ever got his money back.

I would trust an Englishman to begin with. ; )

Doing well. Have a Pinkbar Goby and Tailspot Blenny on order. Should be here soon. In a few weeks I will begin adding some SPS frags from local reefers. I love encrusting Monti's and will begin with some of though. I would like at least one large soft coral to sway in the coral as well.

Hey, you are in Austin. We need to meet sometime? Are you on ARC or MAAST?

Lee

Heading to bed, gotta get up at 4:00 a.m. to go do a Christmas Bird Count at Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge.
Old 01/03/2008, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

bird count, canyon lands, wildlife... what do you do man? that sounds cool!
im not actually in austin, im in manor. right next door though. i am not an ARC member, and i dont even know what maast is, but ive heard that name before.
ide love to show you my reef tank some time, but i dont have one. hehehehe. im trying to set one up here pretty quik actually. its going to be more of a species tank than a mixed reef tho. you can check out my build thread if you want?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1282850

lookin' forward to seeing the new fish!
Old 01/03/2008, 11:02 PM
Premium Member

I'm diggin the set up. Your Leopard Wrasse looks wicked!
Old 01/03/2008, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

Gorgeous tank. That is a nice pink tail trigger!
Old 01/04/2008, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Looks good, subscribed.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:12 PM
Premium Member

You know you are a reef geek when . . .

You yell out loud and scare the family because your Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon meleagris) begins eating frozen bloodworms like a hog!!! It has plenty of pods in my tank but there is nothing more exciting than seeing a challenging fish thrive in your tank!!

Lee
Old 01/05/2008, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

congradulations
Old 01/05/2008, 03:59 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

rofl you are a better add for ebay than their own Commercials!!

You've got me sold I am SO a subscriber to your tank!

A+++ great Ebayer, fast payment, pleasure doing business with you!!

lol

Ever been 158mph on a bike with your wife riding with you? You could tear off the dented pieces of skin with her fingerprints on them.

It's not a bike if it's not over a liter
Old 01/08/2008, 04:22 PM
Premium Member

Some new Pictures and Livestock

Well, I spent some Xmas money on the following:

My new RBTA:

Picked up this Green Carpet Anemone from a local reefer:

Here is my Hi-Fin Goby who hides under an acrylic plate and Favia:

A cool pic of some Zoa's:

Better shot of my Scoly:

Love this Symphyllia recta (think I originally labeled as a lobo):

Who can't love a hermit:

And this little dude is living in my QT tank (won't go in the reef display) but how awesome is it that he eats mysis and flake food!!

Added a couple of True Perc's and Orange Linckia but no photos yet.

I am looking into the new AquaC RX-1 Calcium reactor as well.

Enjoy,

Lee
Old 01/08/2008, 05:06 PM
TRC Leader

I love your tiny lionfish. It is so adorable.

You should add your favia picture to the "Show us your Favias" thread (last month's Thread of the Month). Lemme know if you can't find it in Reef Discussion.

Congrats on your new livestock. Keep in mind that sometimes different anemones in the same tank don't do well due to invisible chemical warfare (alleopathy) from across the tank.
Old 01/08/2008, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

You need to add a clownfish quick to ward off any unsuspecting meals! That carpet looks huge!
Beautiful tank!
No need to apologize about your beliefs! Be proud...
Old 01/08/2008, 10:47 PM
Premium Member

Marc - I have seen the favia thread and didn't even think about it. Will do. You know, I normally do a ton of research but I didn't really think about the warfare between two anemones!!

Well Marc, on that note (chemical warfare) in the past two days my Duncan stopped opening up and he is "downstream" from both anemones. I do run carbon but do you think that is the reason it might be shriveled up? The tank is doing great. The only other thing is that I had to move the Duncan as the Pinktail found a hole under a live rock near the Duncan and he goes in there to be cleaned by a Peppermint Shrimp. I am sure he disturbed the Duncan going in the hole so I moved it two days ago. Hasn't opened back up since and was doing great before!!

Mike - I just added a pair of Percs (ORA and one is a Misbar). Carpet is about 14" or more across.

Not so much apologizing but as a pastor of a church for the unchurched I am very careful to not "turn" people off by acting like a lot of people do by being pushy on forums where people are there for reasons other than faith. I try very hard to respect that.

I am very proud of my beliefs, but I am also very proud of being respectful of others.

Also, your name sounds extremely familiar (but I think from somewhere other than this board), but I don't know why? Ever post on any reptile forums?

I know carpets are a risk, but they are one of my favorite inverts. I know it will be a risk with SPS, but a tank without a carpet would just be too lacking for me!!
Old 01/08/2008, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lhoy
smmschott - I had told my wife for the last ten years if I ever had a big tank I wanted a plaque on the tank of Genesis 1:21 which says, "So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds . . . And God saw that it was good.

She had the plaque made for me for Christmas. Flash killed me on trying to get a good picture the other day:

If anyone is offended, I apologize in advance. I only posted after asked. I am here to share my reefkeeping enthusiasm, not my pastoring or beliefs!! ; )
lol you don't have to apoogize God is the creature share the good news peace.by the way nice looking tank I'm starting mines this week end buliding a canopy also 65gl high
Freshwater is Great but Saltwater is the best; Top Dog Tanks.take your time spend some money and you will do great:peace. just do it ;you only live once but you can also live again Acts 2:38
Old 01/08/2008, 11:36 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by lhoy
Marc - I have seen the favia thread and didn't even think about it. Will do. You know, I normally do a ton of research but I didn't really think about the warfare between two anemones!!

Well Marc, on that note (chemical warfare) in the past two days my Duncan stopped opening up and he is "downstream" from both anemones. I do run carbon but do you think that is the reason it might be shriveled up? The tank is doing great. The only other thing is that I had to move the Duncan as the Pinktail found a hole under a live rock near the Duncan and he goes in there to be cleaned by a Peppermint Shrimp. I am sure he disturbed the Duncan going in the hole so I moved it two days ago. Hasn't opened back up since and was doing great before!!

Mike - I just added a pair of Percs (ORA and one is a Misbar). Carpet is about 14" or more across.

Not so much apologizing but as a pastor of a church for the unchurched I am very careful to not "turn" people off by acting like a lot of people do by being pushy on forums where people are there for reasons other than faith. I try very hard to respect that.

I am very proud of my beliefs, but I am also very proud of being respectful of others.

Also, your name sounds extremely familiar (but I think from somewhere other than this board), but I don't know why? Ever post on any reptile forums?

I know carpets are a risk, but they are one of my favorite inverts. I know it will be a risk with SPS, but a tank without a carpet would just be too lacking for me!!
I'm getting a Duncan frag tomorrow, so I don't have any personal experience with it yet. From what I've heard and read, they need light to live, unlike Tubastrea. They need good flow, but not strong flow like SPS do, but rather like LPS corals. Makes sense, right? And they need target feeding if you want them to grow.

Hopefully yours will open up soon. When handling it, try to grab it by the stony base rather than touching the tissue.

Since we can't discuss religion on RC, I think you've handled that subject perfectly. Asked and answered. DOne.