Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 10/01/2007, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

upgrade to a 75 gal

I upgraded to a 75 gal (from a 55 gal) and have a 40 gal sump w/fuge. I have 100 lbs. of live rock set up in a 2 island rockscape w/ lots of caves,overhangs,etc. I also have about 2 1/2" live aragonite sandbed. I thought this might be a good time to get some fish I've been wanting to keep. I kept the pair of ocellaris clownfish and hope to add the following:

1 male bartletts anthias
3-4 female bartletts anthias
1 potters pygmy angelfish
1 flame pygmy angelfish
1 yellow tang

The potters & flame will be introduced together.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 10/01/2007, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

in my 75 i have

yellow longnose butterfly
flame
pair of true percs
1 female bartletts anthias
sixline wrasse
and a couple really tiny gobies.

im not really a fan of multiple angels in anything less than 100g as i have had issues in the past with a flame and cherub.

cant say much about a tang as i have never owned one. anthias eat like crazy!
RS 80 Promo
Vortech WWD
Tunze 6025
Eheim 1260 Return
DIY Auto Top off
8G Fuge
aqua uv 15w
Old 10/01/2007, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

Keep us posted on the potters.I'm thinking of getting 1 also
Old 10/01/2007, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

opiumpipez, Did you introduce the flame and cherub together? were they similiar in size? was one a female and one a male? I thought I could try the potters and flame because I read in scott w. michaels book on angelfishes that they have are known to crossbreed.
Old 10/01/2007, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

Bucntears, What type of fishes do you keep in your 75 ? Congrat's on your newest addition to family....getting enough sleep ?
Old 10/02/2007, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

Looks ok but I would add one of the Centropyge angels not both. Also, if you have a reef, adding one of these species can be problematic for your corals. The Flame may be a better choice than the Potters.
Old 10/02/2007, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

Mile, Thanks for the input, I'm going to give both pygmy's a try and watch them closely for the next 24 hours. I noticed you have a mystery wrasse...a truly beautiful fish. If the 2 pygmys don't workout, I'm seriouly considering one (but at 100 bucks a pop I could'nt tell the wife about that one). You've had a cleaner wrasse for 3 years ? Did you get him to eat live food or something ?
Old 10/02/2007, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

gimmito, your welcome. I love my Mystery wrasse but they can be a problem when they grow and become more aggressive. Mine has limited my ability to add a few more smaller peaceful fish to the system (ie yellow assessor, helfrichi firefish). If you do get one make sure its the last fish added. $100 for one is a great price, thats around what I paid for mine.

Regarding the cleaner wrasse, I got lucky, the so called exception to the rule. He is truly a character, cleans my fish and eats everything I place in the tank. Frozen, pellets, flake, even Nori. Go figure. I'll have to make a video of it and post.

Good luck with the new additions.
Old 10/02/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gimmito
Bucntears, What type of fishes do you keep in your 75 ? Congrat's on your newest addition to family....getting enough sleep ?
As far as the other fish I've got
1 perc clown
1 dusty jawfish
1 bi colored blenny
1 starry blenny
1 clown goby
2 purple firefish
1 yellow watchmen goby / pistol shrimp

{1} fire shrimp ,{1} cleaner shrimp ,{1}gold coral banded shrimp
{2}peppermint shrimp

{1}tiger striped serpent star
{1}brittle sea star yellow

As with the new addition he{2.5 yrs.} is the best thing thats ever happened to me.
Talk about a grounding rod
Old 10/03/2007, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

In my 75 i've got about 24+ tiger and bridle gobies, 1 golden dwarf angel, 4 chromis. Looking to add 2-4 small reef butterflies, a cardianal fish and a few dragonets. And i'll see whatever else i an catch.

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.
Old 10/03/2007, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gimmito
opiumpipez, Did you introduce the flame and cherub together? were they similiar in size? was one a female and one a male? I thought I could try the potters and flame because I read in scott w. michaels book on angelfishes that they have are known to crossbreed.
actually, the were both pretty similar in size..about 2.5" ea. also, i am not sure on the sex so that could certainly have been my downfall.
RS 80 Promo
Vortech WWD
Tunze 6025
Eheim 1260 Return
DIY Auto Top off
8G Fuge
aqua uv 15w
Old 10/03/2007, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

update

I added a couple of bangaii cardinalfish yesterday and they are very cool fish (I had a breeding pair of pajamas in my old 55 gal). My friend who owns a lfs and quarantines my fish for me has had trouble getting bartletts anthias lately, so I'm probably just get a sunburst (aka fathead) anthias. He's also going to try and see if the flame and potters angels will be compatable while quarantining them also. I think I'll wait on the shoal of anthias when I upgrade to a 180+ tank.
BucNtears, Sounds like a nice community of fish...I always wanted the watchmen goby and pistol shrimp combo.
Old 10/03/2007, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

Opiumpipez, I'm going to try 1 male and 1 female angel and pray they get along. Did you read the thread where a guy in sweden has a shoal of flames in his tank? very cool.
Old 10/20/2007, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

Okay guys I just finished stocking the tank !
I ended up with the following:
2 ocellaris clownfish
2 bangaii cardnalfish
1 solar wrasse
1 juvenile flame angel
1 juvenile yellow tang
1 juvenile kole tang
Thanks to everyone's imput ! Until the next upgrade !!
Old 10/21/2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

gimmito, I'm not the tang police, but I would only add one of the two you have listed. Both are great choices but a 75 will be to small. I'd just add the yellow because of the color it will add and its appetite for different types of algae.
Old 10/21/2007, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mile sq. reefer
gimmito, I'm not the tang police, but I would only add one of the two you have listed. Both are great choices but a 75 will be to small. I'd just add the yellow because of the color it will add and its appetite for different types of algae.
i second that.
Old 10/21/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the thoughts guys...That's why I went with 2 2"juveniles. I'm planning on a 180+ in wall tank after our remodel next year...so those guys will have "plenty" of room then.