Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 10:14 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by tigereye37
alright, since we're already on the topic...........
Can you talk a little bit about your seahorse nano setup? After seeing the pics i'm curious......
It's pretty simple... I have a BC29 stock that I am using. I have thread of it on the nano forums.. but here are a few photos for you.

LR arranged prior to adding water.

Water added.

Most current photo of the tank. The clown did not live he died after a few months.

One of my black SH.

Another

Them together.
Old 12/14/2007, 10:17 PM
Girls Rule!

Friday Update!

Nothing much new with the 75 the last few days. The tank is still looking great after it's cleanup. I moved a few corals around and everyone seems happy.

Good news on the new yellow SH! He finally ate tonight. Clown "hand fed" him some brine shrimp with a small eyedropper and placed it right next to him and he ate about 10 pieces. So far no mysis.. but at least he's eating something until we can switch him. So that was great to see tonight =)
Old 12/14/2007, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

Very impressive NG, I have come to think nano tanks can be as interesting as large tanks. I am glad your new horse is eating, it sounds like a good Friday night to me
Old 12/14/2007, 11:57 PM
Girls Rule!

Thanks =) Yea, nanos are a lot of fun and they are great to put things that get lost in larger reefs.. like boxing crabs or something. Just fun and cute!
Old 12/15/2007, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

I noticed also, black sea horse, black sun coral, yellow sea horse, yellow sun coral....What happens when you get a red sea horse?

And no...I don't have a punch line
Old 12/15/2007, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

82F I think would be fine honestly. My tank usually stays around 78-82..cooler during winter months usuually 78ish. I dont know some say it doesnt matter others say it MUST be cool i honestly have not seen any bad with warmer temps for them. Seeing your nano has made me want to get one myself just for seahorses. I am still not sure if I want to use my 90 for seahorses or not..since id like to keep sps and keep certain fish that dont go to well with the horsies. ANOTHER tank..nano..maybe? i know someones going to kill me lol! But a nano sure looks like fun..in a large tank i barely see most of my fish :P. Good to hear your horsie is eating! in time i am sure he will be eating mysis like no tommorow.
Old 12/15/2007, 02:15 AM
TRC Leader

Cooler tanks are recommended for seahorses for the reasons Nanogurl mentioned on the last page, plus the cooler water helps prevent some algaes from growing. Remember, the warmer the water, the less oxygen in the water.

Your 90g might be a fun place for a seahorse, but it sounds like it'll be an SPS system in no time and thus it'll have a lot of flow. That is probably not a good choice for your horses.
Old 12/15/2007, 03:22 AM
Registered Member

Thats true melev :P. Another one of my worries was the big space with the 90g feeding would be a bit more difficult to control. SO now where do I buy one of these nanos .
Old 12/15/2007, 10:21 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by muelpaul
I noticed also, black sea horse, black sun coral, yellow sea horse, yellow sun coral....What happens when you get a red sea horse?

And no...I don't have a punch line
lol... i had to move the sun corals back into the main tank.. the flow was too low for them in the SH tank. I am thinking about another small desktop nano for them now (:
Old 12/15/2007, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Wow! Thanks for the SH nano pics, they are adorable! Maybe now i'll have to try and track down your nano thread.......
thanks again!
Old 12/15/2007, 11:30 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeeee
Thats true melev :P. Another one of my worries was the big space with the 90g feeding would be a bit more difficult to control. SO now where do I buy one of these nanos .
Yea, honestly I think you would enjoy your SH in a smaller tank, unless you wanted like an entire colony of them. The nano tanks are a lot of fun bc you can focus on smaller things and actually see them.

The hardest part is flow IMO. Too little, lots of algae and buildup. Too much, the SH get blown around too much. My tank I have a bit more flow then most I think.. but the SH like it. They swim up to where the current is the strongest and it pushes them across the tank and they kinda tumble... they seem to get a kick out of it... bc they can stop and swim without being blown around.. but they look like they are just having a lot of fun sometimes lol.. it's really cute to watch.
Old 12/15/2007, 11:49 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by tigereye37
Wow! Thanks for the SH nano pics, they are adorable! Maybe now i'll have to try and track down your nano thread.......
thanks again!
You're welcome =)

Here you go: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...=&pagenumber=1
Old 12/15/2007, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I think flow is very important if not one of the most important. I noticed in my 90g at first i had very little flow so i added another PH. Still too little..now 25-30x for flow i think is good. You really notice how it all builds up on the liverock if you dont have enough flow and the tank never seems to look clear. I usually just let the flow face toward the liverock and the glass this was it keeps any dirt build up off the rocks and breaks down the flow so that the seahorses dont get blown around but keeps the algae from growing. Another reason i found out why my 90g would not be suitable was the MH lights. When I do a seahorse tank i will prob use T5 so i can still put in zoas, palys etc.. and not have 250w light burning down on the horsies.
Old 12/16/2007, 03:51 AM
Registered Member

Hey NanoGurl!
Saw your posts over on Melevs thread and had to come spend a couple hours skimming through this one. You've got some awesome tanks and critters. And terrific photos of all of them. I envy your skill with the camera. I've got a Coolpix 5700 and can never seem to get decent close-up shots in my tanks.

And sorry about mis-identifying your puppy's breed over there. I passed on a fox colored Siberian shortly before I adopted my Malamute mix. Here's a photo of Akita (yeah, I know, but she came with that name, I just tell people she's a little confused), though I usually just call her `Kita. She's in her kennel for the photo because she won't hold still for a photo anywhere else.

Phil

Old 12/16/2007, 03:53 AM
TRC Leader

That's a beautiful dog. I had a friend years ago with the same dog, and it was a great animal to hug and play with. It was huge too.
Old 12/16/2007, 04:16 AM
Registered Member

Thanks. At 65 lbs she's on the small side for a Malamute, which is why I suspect she's part Siberian too. but still one great big friendly furball. She's incredibly affectionate and at 3 years old still acts like a puppy. Good puller too, we do a little skijoring together.

Phil
Old 12/16/2007, 02:41 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeeee
Yeah, I think flow is very important if not one of the most important. I noticed in my 90g at first i had very little flow so i added another PH. Still too little..now 25-30x for flow i think is good. You really notice how it all builds up on the liverock if you dont have enough flow and the tank never seems to look clear. I usually just let the flow face toward the liverock and the glass this was it keeps any dirt build up off the rocks and breaks down the flow so that the seahorses dont get blown around but keeps the algae from growing. Another reason i found out why my 90g would not be suitable was the MH lights. When I do a seahorse tank i will prob use T5 so i can still put in zoas, palys etc.. and not have 250w light burning down on the horsies.

If you start one def let me know I would love to see it =)
Old 12/16/2007, 02:45 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaska_Phil
Hey NanoGurl!
Saw your posts over on Melevs thread and had to come spend a couple hours skimming through this one. You've got some awesome tanks and critters. And terrific photos of all of them. I envy your skill with the camera. I've got a Coolpix 5700 and can never seem to get decent close-up shots in my tanks.

And sorry about mis-identifying your puppy's breed over there. I passed on a fox colored Siberian shortly before I adopted my Malamute mix. Here's a photo of Akita (yeah, I know, but she came with that name, I just tell people she's a little confused), though I usually just call her `Kita. She's in her kennel for the photo because she won't hold still for a photo anywhere else.

Phil
Thnx =) Mine is a Nikon D50. It's a pretty good camera. I still need to learn how to do the white balance, but it works pretty good for me. Yea, Sebastian is a Shibu Inu. Small in statue, large in heart =) He's the smallest of the Akitas.

Awww Kita is beautiful! I bet she's a lot of fun to play with! Thnx for sharing!
Old 12/17/2007, 02:15 AM
grouchy hermit

"Kita" by itself means "north" in Japanese so it's an entirely appropriate name for a Malamute.

Spleen
Old 12/17/2007, 02:31 AM
Registered Member

Cool! thanks Spleen.

Phil
Old 12/17/2007, 02:44 AM
This statement is false.

About the "nano tanks are cool as they show your livestock more intimately - closer to the viewer" belief...

My 480g predator tank is no different. See, my large grouper, twinspot coris, bird wrasse, foxface, naso tang and tassled filefish all swim quickly to the end of the tank if I sit next to it, and then they stay about 5cm from my face. Just have to get clever fish and train them.
Old 12/17/2007, 02:49 AM
Girls Rule!

My fish do that too in the 75. I meant small things like pom pom crabs, gobies, or anything else small that gets lost in larger tanks. Nanos are great IMO for things like that which are much harder to see in larger tanks.
Old 12/17/2007, 03:03 AM
This statement is false.

Sure I was just messing with you
Old 12/17/2007, 03:07 AM
Registered Member

How do you get so much coraline algae growth i honestly love all the purple!! better than green/brown nasty stuff. Maybe it is because i have only had 1-250 MH light running on my 90g for too long. Time to add that second i guess huh? how do you like your Reef Optix III? I think I may go for that one with 14k and icecap ballast. Do you add any supplements to your tank?
Old 12/17/2007, 03:27 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr31415
Sure I was just messing with you