Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/22/2007, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

your not goin to put a 3rd tang in there are you?.

X.....................................

Click the house for my thread
Old 07/22/2007, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

Has anybody ever test the differenced between a workhorse ballast and others using a PAR meter??? I am curious...

Bloke... I will let you know how it works... I can't wait to get the extra space that a bigger tank will allow...Keep us updated with pics...
Old 07/22/2007, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

I see your interests include poker... me2, but i haven't played in real poker game since I started reefing in January
Old 07/22/2007, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

easye123 - Yeah, I will put two more in there. Some sort of bristletooth and the purple tang. The Desjardin, Mimic, and Bristletooth, are all less-aggressive fish. The Purple is the biggest ***** in the group. Call out the tang police!

Shan Man - Definitely! I don't know of anyone testing PAR though. If you continue doing research into the Fulham ballasts, let me know. Check out DIYReef.com. I know they promote them somewhat.
Old 07/22/2007, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

cool stuff! hope it works out for you. putting 4 tangs in that to me just makes me feel bad for the fish. think of how much they swim in the ocean. 4 in one 90g IMO is too much. now maybe 3 very very small juvis.would be ok. cant wait to see an update!

Evan

Old 07/22/2007, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

Yeah - but if I looked at it that way, a 210g tank or even 500g for that matter, is nothing compared to anything they enjoyed in the wild. That's why ORA/aquacultured specimens are best. As far as tangs go, it's important to put the least aggressive in first. Furthermore, there will always be a little tang warfare, but once they get the pecking order figured out, things are generally peaceful.

BTW, I just read through your thread - nice tank. I'm not big into LPS, but your tank is looking great. I LOVE that monti cap you have there. It makes a great centerpiece.

I read about your Powder Brown - those things are ich-magnets. I think the Powder Blues are more hardy, but I like to stay away from both of those as well as Blue Hippos who also seem to be fragile at times. That Sailfin of yours looks healthy and BIG. Very nice.
Old 07/22/2007, 01:08 PM
Ugly Equipment Keeper

Quote:
Originally posted by The Shan Man
Has anybody ever test the differenced between a workhorse ballast and others using a PAR meter??? I am curious...

Bloke... I will let you know how it works... I can't wait to get the extra space that a bigger tank will allow...Keep us updated with pics...
I don't think short term PAR will be affected, but lamp longevity on the WH will be.

True T5 ballasts aren't all that pricey: http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/Par...ersal_Lighting
Old 07/23/2007, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theatrus
I don't think short term PAR will be affected, but lamp longevity on the WH will be.

True T5 ballasts aren't all that pricey: http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/Par...ersal_Lighting
How much of the bulb longevity do you think that it will effect???
Old 07/23/2007, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

How much of the bulb longevity do you think that it will effect???
Old 07/23/2007, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

How much of the bulb longevity do you think it will effect??? Are we talking a drastic amount???
Old 07/23/2007, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

I think The Shan Man is interested
Mandarin Goby.
Old 07/23/2007, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

LOL - others may choose to chime in, but I think you get about 12 months on a T5 actinic and 18 months on a T5 daylight bulb.

Use your Fulham ballast and see how long your bulbs are good. If you have to buy another ballast in 12 months, no big deal. Otherwise, if you're worried, just spend $60 bucks and get two Advance or Triad ballasts to push your T5s.
Old 08/18/2007, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

Progress:
There have been some casualties... The Mimic Tang one day just suddenly disappeared. He was always a little skittish and hid quite often, but I think he became food for the crabs and shrimp. That's an expensive meal. I am not sure how/why he died. He ate and seemed healthy. He was the second fish in and no aggression was shown.

Additionally, I have lost one of the two cleaner wrasses, but I half expected them dead a week ago. They are often tough to keep and once the parasites (their food) was gone there probably isn't enough food to sustain two of them.

Everything else seems ok. Everybody seems to be eating peacefully and happy. There isn't any aggression between the tangs like I thought might exist, but it helped to put the most agressive fish in last. As far as the tank, water params look good and coraline algae is taking over.

Old 08/20/2007, 06:22 AM
Registered Member

howmuch rock is in ur tank
Old 08/20/2007, 06:44 AM
Registered Member

how are all ur tangs doing iam also gettin a 90 and putting two or three tangs so far i was thinking about a orange shoulder, purple tang, blue hippo or a powder blue tang what do u think of that combantaion with all those tangs
Old 08/20/2007, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

Its up to the keepr, but IMO two already is two much. I have two but trying to get rid of them. If u have beeen diving or snorkeling, ull see how much tangs swim and then u will feel bad for putting them(especially four) in 90g.

on the other not your 90g is lookin awesome!! reall clean set up.

Evan

Old 08/20/2007, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bloke
[B]Progress:
There have been some casualties... The Mimic Tang one day just suddenly disappeared. He was always a little skittish and hid quite often, but I think he became food for the crabs and shrimp. That's an expensive meal. I am not sure how/why he died. He ate and seemed healthy. He was the second fish in and no aggression was shown.

Additionally, I have lost one of the two cleaner wrasses, but I half expected them dead a week ago. They are often tough to keep and once the parasites (their food) was gone there probably isn't enough food to sustain two of them.

Everything else seems ok. Everybody seems to be eating peacefully and happy. There isn't any aggression between the tangs like I thought might exist, but it helped to put the most agressive fish in last. As far as the tank, water params look good and coraline algae is taking over.

Well by lookin at your dates that you have posted, the deaths prob have to do with tha maturity of your tank. Having four tangs within a month of your tank starting up is probably really stressful on the tangs IMO. I put two tangs in my 90g a little early and one ended up gettin ich. Then i gave it a two month break to add new fish slowlys and from there on out all have been ideal specimens for about 8 months now.

Evan

Old 09/02/2007, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

Perhaps, but I am not as fearful of ick as people make it out to be. I feed with garlic, have cleaner wrasses, 2 cleaner shrimp, and run an 18w UV. I am doing everything I can to help prevent parasites...

In the past when a fish did get ick, others didn;t. He'll either pull through, or die and I'm off to the store to find something else.
Old 09/02/2007, 12:13 AM
Registered Member

Well, a few trips to the LFS landed a few additions to the tank. Most noteworthy of the bunch is a Ritteri Anemone which the store refused to sell me without buying the accompanying Skunk Clownfish (as per the previous owners request).

I believe that this set came from Bogey's tank so it's good to know that I can go straight to her for info, especially since she's local. I know Ritteri(s) like to move until they find themselves a happy-spot (as do all anemones) but this guy has remained right where I initially put him. I know this species likes lots of flow so I put him in a place where I thought he would be happy. There is about 2000gph random flow past him at most times.

Bogey stated that while in her tank, the skunk remained with the anemone most of the time. In fact, when the guy at the store removed the anemone from the tank, the clownfish remained in the anemone even out of water! However, once placed in my 90g, the skunk clownfish began spending a lot of time around the bottom right side of the tank. Quite unexpectedly, my True Perc pair have taken over hosting the anemone and the skunk has taken to the Koralia powerhead on the right side.

Hmm... Not the best picture, but decent enough to show.
Old 09/07/2007, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

Old 09/30/2007, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

Here is a FTS:

July 14, 2007

Sept. 30, 2007

Several fish have been removed to lower the bioload as well as allow these guys ample room to grow. The fivefish you see are the only fish in the tank:

True Percula (mated pair)
Desjardin's Tang
Purple tang
Regal Tang
Old 10/07/2007, 08:14 AM
Registered Member

We went to OKC this weekend and I found a pretty cool offering. It's not fully open yet, but check out that color. Have you ever seen a goniopora this bright?:

Old 10/07/2007, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

Beautiful, but very hard to keep alive. Many start wasting away slowly in tanks for no apparent reason. There have been a few success stories posted by RC members, so I would read those accounts and do what they did. Good luck.
Hooper: That makes a lot of sense.
Old 10/07/2007, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

Ya very nice color but to keep them for a year seems to be a challenge.

I had a neon pink one that was perfect for 6 months. then just randomly died.

You got any new FTS

Old 10/08/2007, 04:54 AM
Registered Member

Wow, I hope that it does real well for you.

Cheers

Chris