Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 12/26/2007, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

this is just crazy! i love it!

lol i dont think this tank oculd fit anywhere in my place, i seriously think its longer than my living room
Old 12/27/2007, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

I've never see an aquarium blockng here in Brazil , you trust this blockng?

tanks ian
Old 12/27/2007, 10:33 AM
Premium Member

What do you mean by blockng ?
Old 12/27/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

I refer to diagonal clogging , here we usualli use french clog .

thanks ian
Old 12/27/2007, 01:16 PM

I like the Dutch clogs much better than the French ones.
Old 12/27/2007, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

this is crazy man!! you are pushing the limits!! Arnar, let me know when everything is set up and I will come and scuba dive in your tank
Old 12/28/2007, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
nice vid. I am curious why you decided to mount the skimmer and reactors in-sump. Is that just for safety/flooding reasons? I put my skimmer in-sump as well, but I built it myself and didn't trust it to remain water tight.
The skimmer and reactors can be used out of the sump but why not just save precious space and be extra safe with flooding risks and keep it all in one container
Old 12/28/2007, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

MMORPGS + Big *** Aquariums = Heaven
Old 12/28/2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnar
The skimmer and reactors can be used out of the sump but why not just save precious space and be extra safe with flooding risks and keep it all in one container
OK. That's how I look at it myself, but it's unusual to see those mounted in-sump. I think it's a good idea.
Old 01/01/2008, 11:09 AM
Premium Member

A new picture of the progress. Things are speeding up a bit now

A hole has been cut in the wall on the other side so now the tank is viewable from all sides.

Here is the current photo album.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:26 PM

so cool. I'll bet you are getting excited now that you see the hole!
Old 01/01/2008, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

WOW! Thats a huge tank!!
Old 01/01/2008, 02:12 PM
SWFMAS President

Coming along - what is the projected fill date?

QUOTE by deschlayer:
I don't want real life lighting...I want better! Nature/god never grew a 400 pound pumpkin, man did.
Old 01/01/2008, 02:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wizsmaster
Coming along - what is the projected fill date?
Well it's kind of hard to give anything precise on the date right now but things will be much clearer when all major 3rd party work is over since that has been slowing this down the most.

My friend is building a frame for the lights and another friend is doing the overflow boxes. I will also start the plumbing very soon and the sump will be going in the fish room as soon as the contractor finishes the floor there. Can't wait to test out the circulation from tank to sump and vice versa.

I have also been reconsidering how to cycle the liverock. I think that rather than putting the rocks in smaller containers and then to do aquascaping in a stressful rush to keep it from drying up again I will rather just do the aquascape slowly, dry and carefully in the tank and then cycle it there when it's just the way I like it. I think the quality of the aquascape will be worth the few $ saved on salt mix.
Old 01/01/2008, 03:34 PM
SWFMAS President

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnar

I have also been reconsidering how to cycle the liverock. I think that rather than putting the rocks in smaller containers and then to do aquascaping in a stressful rush to keep it from drying up again I will rather just do the aquascape slowly, dry and carefully in the tank and then cycle it there when it's just the way I like it. I think the quality of the aquascape will be worth the few $ saved on salt mix.
Yes, i fully agree with that - most people rush this process, just to sit back 6 months later wishing they would've waited and taken things slow ... what is a few weeks, maybe months worth a cycle for a tank that will be up for years to come, and requires this much work.

I'm one of the ones in that boat! lol

QUOTE by deschlayer:
I don't want real life lighting...I want better! Nature/god never grew a 400 pound pumpkin, man did.
Old 01/01/2008, 08:33 PM
Premium Member

Arnar, are those 16 foot front and back glass panes a single piece of glass without seams?

Last edited by Elliott; 01/01/2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01/01/2008, 09:03 PM

I just popped my rock into the tank right out of the box and let her rip. I did inspect for hitch-hikers but I did not get them all. Luckily, there were no AEFW, red bugs, etc.

The macro went wild to the point of being a problem, but the inhabitants took care of it later on. I let my system run for months, first just with mechanical filtration, then I added 11 chromis, then a skimmer, etc. but I did not put in the rest of the fish or any corals for quite some time.

What I did get was some sweet coraline algae (although it is some sort of super-growing version) various snaila including some cool stomatella, plenty of pods, mysid, etc. and various corals.

I am not sure I would do it that way again, but as far as my rock goes, I have been really happy with it. My theory at the time was, why pay for live rock, and then kill everything off it?

First day:

Old 01/02/2008, 04:11 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Elliott
Arnar, are those 16 foot front and back glass panes a single piece of glass without seams?
Yes, a single piece
Old 01/02/2008, 10:18 PM
Premium Member

Hi Arnar! Great set up.....ok that's a crappy line but I really don't know what to say! LOL!

Anyway I cured 100lbs of Marco rock in my garage in a barrel. I realize that this is very minute to what your task is, but this is my experience. The rock took me about 5 weeks to cycle and the first couple weeks were terrible. The smell was very strong and the water was black. I did about a 100% water change into week 3 while the nitrites were high. I realize that this might have slowed the cycle process down, but after the water change the smell was gone for good. At about week 4 I moved the rock into 100% new water again into the new tank and then in one week the cycle was complete.

Hope this helps.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:11 AM
out of work reefer...

can`t wait to see it full of life
Old 01/03/2008, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

........ still trying to wrap my mind around that 18 wheeler and shipping container, crane..........

Are you sure you live on Earth?
Old 01/03/2008, 09:19 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

Quote:
Originally posted by RevHtree
Hi Arnar! Great set up.....ok that's a crappy line but I really don't know what to say! LOL!

Anyway I cured 100lbs of Marco rock in my garage in a barrel. I realize that this is very minute to what your task is, but this is my experience. The rock took me about 5 weeks to cycle and the first couple weeks were terrible. The smell was very strong and the water was black. I did about a 100% water change into week 3 while the nitrites were high. I realize that this might have slowed the cycle process down, but after the water change the smell was gone for good. At about week 4 I moved the rock into 100% new water again into the new tank and then in one week the cycle was complete.

Hope this helps.
Did you cure it in RO/DI or in salt? You should be able to "cure" it in RO/DI since there is no live portion of the rock

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 01/04/2008, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Did you cure it in RO/DI or in salt? You should be able to "cure" it in RO/DI since there is no live portion of the rock
I would think that if you did it with saltwater it would be cycled for saltwater from the rotting gunk. With RO you would still have to cycle it again.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

any news on things ? how long are we looking before water ??
Old 01/11/2008, 09:20 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

Quote:
Originally posted by sm51498
I would think that if you did it with saltwater it would be cycled for saltwater from the rotting gunk. With RO you would still have to cycle it again.
I don't see how it would be cycled??? Don't you need the live bacteria and such from LR to process everything. Just a vat of nasty rotting water won't give you a tank that is ready for fish. You need the good things in LR to process and get it all in balance

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-