Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks

Old 08/10/2005, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

Oh yeah there was also a time before the clams were isolated that they were FWD for one whole hour. It was unintentional but I forgot them in the water. But maybe that mistake proved to be more beneficial than detrimental. I feel like I accidently discovered some new invention.
Old 08/10/2005, 12:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vili_Shark
Hi!

kuifjetintin,
Those are really nice looking clams, I dont have a clue about what's written in the site, but I'd like to know, in post #90, what is Freddy doing? dosing phyto or is it something else?

Thanks my friends, I hope this will help getting progress in curing the PM problem.
Hi !
What I'm doing there, is showing that the clams grow quite good, whilst they have PM. I touch them with a pincet, so they show the white borders.
Old 08/10/2005, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

Wow Freddy those clams are Freegin vonderfully beeuutyfull. Thats my english/german translation after seeing the pictures. Carrie
Ps. all my remaining clams are thriving, I think Issey and I figured out that after any infected clams died and were removed, those that remained got better once all infected clams were gone and out of the tank. I really think it came in the maximas. I feel like Scuba though- what an expensive loss with no compensation. I know I will never order another clam! To tell us that "oh it must have been something in your tank, sorry"- is an insult in my opinion because yeah it was something in my tank AFTER I purchased theirs!! Carrie
Old 08/10/2005, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

Carrie is right I forgot to add that one important detail. The two gold maximas that first infected my clams died off. Those were the two weakest out of the bunch and they died after a long FWD. Did the rest of my clams survive because of those two deaths? Possibly. Maybe my tank/older clams were not infected long enough to have any long term negative effect..and that is why my clams are healthy today.
Old 08/10/2005, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

Hmm that just gave me another idea. Whoever still have the PM issue should try removing the one clam(or clams) that infected the rest of your clams. After that QT and FWD the older clams and that might just work....
Old 08/10/2005, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

the two clams that I got when this infection started; one was really bad (that one died off) the other is still alive and kickin. Both came from same batch.

Vili, my dips were only done prior to the QT. Have not dipped since starting QT. Water changes every 3-4 days. 1-2 gallons.
I measured alk/ca every day at first, it did not fluctuate much. Have not dosed anything to the QT and use water changes to replenish. I add phyto every coupla days.
Old 03/18/2007, 05:10 PM
Team RC Member

Disease Research – help needed

As many of you already know, there’s a condition that’s killing Tridacnid clams over the past few years – “Pinched Mantle.” Three years ago Barry N. took it upon himself to try to find the cause – and treatment for – this condition. During that time, he has shipped over 50 clams at his own expense ($1,350) to several labs paying them an additional $592 for the work done to date.
Currently Barry has a group of doctors from the University of Maine who are working on identifying the cause and treatment for this condition. They volunteer their time but the hard costs – lab equipment & testing – must be paid. If any of you can help cover these costs please do. (Research link: http://www.clamsdirect.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1982 )

So far 29 people and 5 groups/businesses have donated to this cause and Barry is nearly ¾ of the way to his goal. After researching on Reef Central “Pinched Mantle” there were 254 threads, so people know about this and are concerned – yet only 29 people have stepped up to the plate and offered their support. All Barry needs is $740.63 to reach the goal of $2,500 needed to complete this study to develop a treatment – please help. [Note: This is just under $3 per thread] (Donations to-date: http://www.clamsdirect.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2020 )

------------------------------------------------