Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/08/2005, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Size tank for regal angel

Hello everyone,
What is the minimum size tank required to keep a regal anglelfish? I would like a cube tank either 30x30 or 36x36. Is either of these ok to keep this angel in? Thanks!
-Aaron
Old 06/08/2005, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

A common number thrown around for a regal is around 90 gallons. If your tank is 24 deep, both should be fine.
Old 06/08/2005, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

ok, thank you!
Old 06/09/2005, 10:32 AM
Go Sooners!

I think a 90 would be too small. Since it falls in the large angel category, I would try for something no less than a 150.
Old 06/09/2005, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

Yeah i would agree that somewhere around 150 would be the minimum for a full grown regal. But you can get away with something in the 90 gallon region
Old 06/09/2005, 10:51 AM
Go Sooners!

Why put something in a tank that will get too big? He would either have to get rid of it when it gets too big or upgrade to a bigger tank.
Old 06/09/2005, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Most of us don't want to dump eight grand in our tanks right off the bat. Thus our tanks grow along with our fish/corals/knowledge.

A 36 cube that is 24 deep would be awesome!
Just make sure you get a smaller one and I trust that you have read the Regal Angel thread before you decide to buy one. Good Luck.
-Nathan
Old 06/09/2005, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

Exactly, not everyone can afford a huge tank right off the bat, so i was saying he could get away with a smaller tank and upgrade as he went along
Old 06/09/2005, 12:25 PM
Crazy Aquarist

I don't know about everyone else but I would think that pure gal tank size is meaningless when the number of livestock is also very important. What I mean by this is I see so many people stock way too much per tank. Even if the tank huge for any one fish. Example would be a 1000gal tank would be good for probably large angel and tang but I don't think it would be a good tank for say 10 tang and 10 large angel (only 20 fish in the tank and 1000gal is great for any tang or angel). I only used tang and angel so that I wouldn't have to type a realistic overstock list.

I would have to agree with everyone else that 90 would be doable but only if that is the only large fish in your tank.

Lazboy,

Can you give us an idea of the fish/livestock list that you are planning to keep as I think that is an important factor for your question also.

Believe in what you know and stand by it.
Old 06/09/2005, 01:15 PM
Go Sooners!

Quote:
Originally posted by secrest
Exactly, not everyone can afford a huge tank right off the bat, so i was saying he could get away with a smaller tank and upgrade as he went along
What if something comes up and he needs to get a new car, or gets hurt at work and money becomes tight? The bigger tank would get put on hold. Totally not fair to the fish. You need to stock your current tank accordingly with what's reasonable.
Old 06/09/2005, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JENnKerry
What if something comes up and he needs to get a new car, or gets hurt at work and money becomes tight? The bigger tank would get put on hold. Totally not fair to the fish. You need to stock your current tank accordingly with what's reasonable.
what if? u can't beat yourself silly with those what ifs. i'm not disagreeing but EVERYTHING has what if's. if he plans to get a bigger tank i don't see anything wrong with getting a snall tang in a 90 gallon it would take a long time to out grow that.
Old 06/09/2005, 01:35 PM
Go Sooners!

I wish him well with his regal angel then.
Old 06/09/2005, 01:46 PM
Premium Member

Not sure if this helps but Dr's Foster and Smith recommend a minimum of 100 gallons:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=422
Old 06/09/2005, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses. As far as the stocking list, I am planning on having the angel as the centerpeice, so I could get only a few other smaller fish. I dont want to be mean to the fish at all though, so if this means that I have to wait longer until I get a bigger tank, that is fine. Thanks!
Old 06/09/2005, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Scott W. Michael states that a juvenile can be kept in a 50g., but a full-grown adult needs to be kept in a 75g. min. They don't get that large for a "large angel' as they only reach around 9 in. Just as an extra they have been stated by Gregory Schiemer as being one of the most reef-safe of all the "large angels'', and if you want to keep more than one a 180g. would be around the min. tank size. Good Luck!!