Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/08/2005, 08:32 PM
FishBoi

Question Aquamedic 750 Turboflotor Skimmer

Hi,

After limited success (ok, none at all) in the filter section, I have decided to move this thread here.

Yesterday, I installed a second hand Aquamedic 750 Turbflotor skimmer into my new 30g.

Currently, it is only taking out water not protein (in other words, the collection cup is full of sea water not protein!!!). What can I do to ensure that it takes the protein out not the water?

cheers

perky
Old 06/09/2005, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Are you using tapwater with a dechlorinator type additive? if so the skimmer will look like it is taking out pure water until it is all removed. If your 750 skimmer is like my turboflotor 1000 skimmer it should also have 2 black valves near the top, play around with these until you see the foam just creeping over the top of the outlet on the cup and then you will start to see a darker skimate. Also mine took a couple of days to break itself in. They are excellent skimmers so I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 06/09/2005, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

Isn't a 750 rated for upto a 400g tank. I would think it is major overkill.
Old 06/09/2005, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phoenix_princess
Isn't a 750 rated for upto a 400g tank. I would think it is major overkill.
With skimming, that's a lot better than underkill

To the OP: skimmers do take a while to "break in," give it a week before you start worrying too much. Also, like Teddy said, if you're using a dechlorinator like Aquasafe your skimmer could be removing the slime coat compound (looks a lot like it's just removing completely clear foam). If this is the case, switch to Prime, which says right on the bottle that it won't overactivate skimmers