Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs

Old 01/07/2008, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Wich PC (Power Compact) Bulbs with in line Pins (German Pin) are the best?

Hello,
my name is Valentin, im 23 years old and from Germany and I`m very interested in Nanoreefs. I have a Tank with the size 45x45x55 here
The light I use is a 5x24W PC with "in line German Pins"
the Bulbs are from "Shin Mao" its from Asia or somwhere else, and i don`t know if these bulbs are good.

The problem is, in Germany is the Nano Tank not so etablished like in the US, so you don`t get much parts for your Tank.

PC are very rare, so i thought i ask in this forum wich PC bulbs are the best, and where i can get these?

(please forgive me my bad English)

Valentin
Old 01/10/2008, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

Hello,

has nobody an answer to me?

Please help me!

Valentin
Old 01/10/2008, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

There is no difference, in output, or efficiency, between strait and square pin configurations. In the US, there aren't many options for PC bulbs, this has been a selling point for T-5's...
Old 01/11/2008, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

Thank you for ure answer.

I`know that the streight and square pins are the "same", but i`ve seen different bulb manufactures: look here: http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/sh...lacement+Bulbs or here http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...t_ID=JBJ-LB24A

I thought that somebody can tell me from experience with PC bulbs, and can say me which are the best...
Old 01/11/2008, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Hmmm, ...

Im thinking about an HQI with 70W.
At the moment i have this Selfmadecover Here Its made of L316 Steel (Chirurgie Steel)
I can build a new one, remove the bulb in the midlen an replace it with an 70W HQI + 4x24W PC.

But the HQI must be small with an integrated reflector and a anti uv glass.
Where can I get parts like this, or can u give me some tipps?
Old 01/11/2008, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

Welcome to reef central. I'm sorry, but I don't have much experience with this aspect really.

I presently use a corallife straight pin - my lighting is listed under my tank info, but I am thinking it's not going to be much help for you.

Have you by any chance tried posting this message in the DIY forum on this site? You may have some luck there as well.
Indigo Dotty/tr
2 button polyp
gsp
candy cane
zoa
ricordia rock
open brain
5 turbos
5 hermits
30 lb ls / 27lb lr
Old 01/11/2008, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bärchen
Hmmm, ...

Im thinking about an HQI with 70W.
At the moment i have this Selfmadecover Here Its made of L316 Steel (Chirurgie Steel)
I can build a new one, remove the bulb in the midlen an replace it with an 70W HQI + 4x24W PC.

But the HQI must be small with an integrated reflector and a anti uv glass.
Where can I get parts like this, or can u give me some tipps?
I don't know if they ship to Germany, but these sites have components availible for 70MH's.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/

http://www.marinedepot.com/

http://www.hellolights.com/

As for the UV glass, ordinary window glass will block over 90% of UV and should be fine. If you are worried, some window companies provide UV treatments. They sometimes have scrap pieces of glass, and may just give you some.
However, the sun also puts out a lot of UV, so I wouldn't worry too much personally and would just use regular glass.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Although just to add to my last post, the heat of MH's can shatter glass if the glass is too close. I'd keep it at least 6" away from the bulb. Otherwise use tempered glass.