Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum

Old 01/06/2008, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

Question I thing my cleaner shirmp is pregnat

Hi I thing the my cleaner shirmp may be pregnat it looks like it has a bunch of eggs on her belly what should I do ??????

in case the she is or how do i know if she is ????

For best results, use at the first sigh of a cold and continue to use for an additional 24 hours after symptoms subside
Old 01/07/2008, 01:27 AM
Registered Member

what breed cleaner?
Old 01/07/2008, 01:53 AM
Registered Member

Re: I thing my cleaner shirmp is pregnat

Quote:
Originally posted by d_carloo
Hi I thing the my cleaner shirmp may be pregnat it looks like it has a bunch of eggs on her belly what should I do ??????

in case the she is or how do i know if she is ????
This is a photo of my heavily pregnant cleaner shrimp. She has been holding the eggs for a while now (maybe 10-14days).

As far as trying to raise them, cleaner shrimp are very difficult. It would be better to let the shrimp release and eggs so you fish can have a nutritious feed.

If you decide to try and raise it there is a good post by Luis A M (i think) on here who has been trying to raise them for 10yrs.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

yes my shrimp looks like that
if I want to raise shrimp what shout i do

For best results, use at the first sigh of a cold and continue to use for an additional 24 hours after symptoms subside
Old 01/08/2008, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

well your in luck, if you have two cleaners you have a happy couple as they are both male and female. (I know there is a big word for that but wont butcher the spelling). first you will need to find a way to seperate the babies from the tank as they will be fish, coral and filter fodder quickly. they have a real long grow out period but have seen them raised in a co-culture of rotifers. along with live phyto to feed the rots. (actually I saw fire shrimp raised but figure its about the same) very time consuming, try clownfish first if you want to get into breeding, waaay easier. if you really want to try you'll need the parents in a seperate tank with no tank mates and move them after the babies hatch.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

any size tank will do??

live rock ?

and what type of filtration ??

Old 01/10/2008, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

no live rock, no filtration, and smaller water volume so you can keep the prey density up. problem with that is more work keeping water quality up. just very low air to make the water move.. they are very fragile, I originally wanted to raise shrimp, but way too hard.. now doing clownfish and looking at playing with angels. good luck with the shrimp, and at least you will learn basicly the same stuff that it takes to raise clownfish.. also there are books that deal with the raising of shrimp if you want to research a little more...