Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

planning a clam cube nano

Well as the title says im planning me a clam nano which will be pretty much built by easter i am having it custom made so i can get the right dimensions i hope it seems quite unique well heres the stats up to now.

Tank: 10g 16"W x 16"L x 9"H
Filteration: 2.2g Sump with refugium and filter (protein skimmers etc?)
Lighting: 150w hqi

do i need anything extra like the skimmers, ozone and Uvs i wont be having any fish in i dont think juts some nice corals and a clam or two it is going to be minimal look

PLEASE HELP ME
thanks in advance

Old 12/19/2007, 03:35 PM
clams are your friends.

Sounds like a cool project, but I would consider trying to go for 20g+ for the sake of space and stability. Some clams can grow remarkably fast in good conditions. If a bigger tank is not an option, an auto-topoff system will be very helpful in keeping the params stable and saving you time. A 10 gal that's 9 inches tall with 150W HQI is going to lose a lot of water from daily evap.

Keep us updated with the progress.
Old 12/20/2007, 06:30 AM
Premium Member

i agree, it is going to be hard to maintain stable params. in such a small tank. other than that it should be ok
Old 12/20/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

i would drop that 2.2 g sump and get something more like 20g.it will give you a larger volume of water and be easier to keep stable.if it is possible just link it to your current tank to add extra water volume and stabilty.i had a 16g clam cube running for a while but it was linked to my old 90g system.i am doing another clam tank now but it is a 30g DIY rimless with a 16g sump.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

As has been mentioned parameters might be an issue. My take would be to go for it, but to increase evaporation with a fan. That way you can top off with saturated kalk to keep up with calcium/alk depletion. Go with smaller/slow growing clams such as croceas and maximas.

GL with the project.

Garrett.
Old 12/21/2007, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

well if i change the dimensiojns what to and then what do i skip the sump i just like the idea of such a small tank like that and if an auto top off will make it that i dont have to change dimensions then how do i make one
Old 12/22/2007, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

I'm adding a clam tank to my 92 corner. I am using a 72 gallon breeder, only because of my 16"+ Gigas. Sounds like a difficult project. Clams are sensative to changes in their enviroment. The larger you can go the better it would be.
About the top-off I use solinoids and float swithches. This set up has been working for me for about 6 years. I had a problem one time when a snail in the sump was on the switch, so I added another switch next to the original, no problems, Good luck
Old 12/24/2007, 02:15 AM
Registered Member

I'd skip the skimmer, the UV, and the sump. I don't use any of them on my 30G and have five maximas in there that are happy as clams
Old 12/24/2007, 06:00 AM
Registered Member

mskurdah have you got any pics of the tank and how are you filtering it then
Old 01/03/2008, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

I have a thread on nano-reef.com. I use the same user ID. Sorry, I tried to post a link here, but it won't let me.
Old 01/03/2008, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

What about a smaller display system, and a much larger refugium/sump for stability. However I have to agree, you will quickly outgrow a 10g system. What about something larger with a similar shape?
Old 01/03/2008, 05:45 AM
Registered Member

hmmm i dont know what to do know im gonna get a nanocube 12g deluxe with a 70w viper light though so i dunno if that will be capable or have the same problem i think i might just have to wait untill i get a red sea max
Old 01/03/2008, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

Come on we all know that after 6 months your going to start on a bigger tank anyway.... lets be real here.
Old 01/03/2008, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mayo-92
hmmm i dont know what to do know im gonna get a nanocube 12g deluxe with a 70w viper light though so i dunno if that will be capable or have the same problem i think i might just have to wait untill i get a red sea max
Remember those all in one systems don't have a lot of floor space for clams. I used to have an 18"x18"x18" cube and I ran out of space for clams real quick.
Old 01/04/2008, 05:59 AM
Registered Member

ludinano your probably right maybe i should just wait and yes i have noticed the all in ones dont have alot of floor space ill just have to make the clam his own little half probably lol
Old 01/04/2008, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

I knew NOTHING about fresh/salt/breeding/fish/reef/1 yr 2months ago and now have 5 tanks going and a reef build on the way. And now have done all these. Thanks to RC for most all salt, and the pet store clerks i've buged the heck out of.

Just keep asking questions