Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/28/2006, 07:53 AM
ReefoHolic

clown fish at top of tank

So I have a crazy question. why would my pair of clowns hang out at the top of the tank all the time. They don't seem to want to swim around in the tank.

Just so I can answer questions ahead of time I also have a yellow tang and a tobacco bass that it is.

Thank you for help.
Old 12/28/2006, 07:57 AM
Registered Member

My pair do the same thing swim up top, I also have a yellow tang, but I normally see the bigger clown will swim along side the tang sometimes.
Old 12/28/2006, 08:25 AM
Registered Member

Both clownfish I have had in the past have also done this, the most recent stopped when I added a BTA. My theory is clownfish have an instinct to touch or rub against things and that they "rub" against the air/water interface. Just a guess though.

J
Old 12/28/2006, 08:50 AM
Killer of Giants

I have a skunk clown that hid behind the return lock line at the tippy top of the tank for months. eventually he became more social. my false percs have a little spot in the corner they hang in. they only wander out around dinner time, then right back.

I think clowns are just home bodies. If they like a spot they stick with it.
Old 12/28/2006, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

I have a pair of clowns, no other fish.
At night they hang out on top of one of my power heads, one lays down on it while the other bobs on top of the water.
During the day they stay in the bottom corner and only come out when I place food at the other side of the tank.
I am thinking of getting a BTA when I upgrade next month
Old 12/28/2006, 09:03 AM
Killer of Giants

My pair took right to a BTA. It sat right up front and opened fully. It was beautiful. Then it decided to split and move several times. They never went in it again. Bummer.

Now they host a pile of hairy mushrooms. Pretty sure those won't be moving.
Old 12/28/2006, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

If you have a moonlight led the young clowns are attracted to the light. That's one of the methods breeders use to gather the spawn to transfer to another tank.
Old 12/28/2006, 10:32 AM
ReefoHolic

yes you are all correct they do seem to hang out by the power heads. I did recently add a BTA he is small but hopefully they will grow to like him and hang out with him. So my guess is that this is not uncommon.
Old 12/28/2006, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

usually I have seen them do this cause something is messing with them within the tank, however i had a pair that at nite would hang out at the top edge of the tank. Make sure your levels are in order as far as nitrates and such. They could be gasping for air. But most likely sounds like they just like it up there.