Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

Stylophora what's the trick?

I have an aquacultured pink/ magenta stylo and it's hardly gained any size in a year, maybe some thickness but no new nodes. Finally algae grew on it and now I have 3 pieces left the size of finger nails. It's bleached with white polyps but won't grow. I don't understand as this is supposed to be a easy SPS.. or maybe not.
Acro and montis grow for me but no luck with this one.
Old 01/07/2008, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

I have a pink / magenta stylo and it requires a lot of flow. I have 60x + turnover in my tank and it still started to brown and not look so healthy in areas after I changed my powerhead configuration around once. I adjusted things again to make sure it was getting a lot of flow and it colored up and looked happy again. I find it also likes a lot of light, I have it placed high. My stylo started as a frag and has probably tripled in size in about 8-9 months. Not one of the fastest growers.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like the same color of Stylo I also have,, and it too didn't really do much until I got much more flow on it.... now it's starting to grow a couple new nubs...... I remounted it, and after encrusting well, It grew more in the last 6 months than it did in the year before that!!
Old 01/07/2008, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

it's interesting when provided with less than optimal conditions they just sit still instead of STN like acro's that let us know quickly.

So it's kind of like porites then? Except porites will show no polyps if there is not enough flow and die.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:28 PM
Premium Member

That's kinda how I take it!!
Old 01/07/2008, 07:56 PM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

lots of flow makes mine look good, light isn't as important, and they can bleach tips under very high light.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

Personally, I find stylos to be among the most challenging sps in my reef. Good random flow seems to be essential.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:20 AM
Premium Member

I have had a 1" pink stylo on my tank for 6 months and it just looks good, it won't die and it won't grow, just sit's there
Old 01/08/2008, 12:28 AM
saltwater in my veins

I have three, my fastest growing (Doing very well) is in the highest current.

In fact, i thought it would be to much, it is directly in front of a vortech (1.5) feet, though slightly sheilded from direct current. It does not get all that much light..
Old 01/08/2008, 01:08 AM
Registered Member

I have both a wild colony and an aquacultured frag. The wild colony has doubled in mass over the two years I've had it but its growth isn't as thick. The frag has grown into a 4+ inch colony but isn't too thick either. They both do pretty well for me but I will admit that the color isn't bright pink like I would want.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

Mine goes well under a LOT flow and a LOT light.

Old 01/08/2008, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

That's beautiful Wesley, when I blasted mine with light all the lit area is almost white not pink like yours
Old 01/08/2008, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

It is really supposed not demands that much light.

But here it is about 4" below water surface. Reflector is about 4 1/2" above water. I´m running a 250W Giesemann 14,5K with PFO HQI ballast, which has a great PAR in accordance with Sanjay.

Maybe coral DNA plays a role. I used to have a hot pink seriathopora that never became really pink. Took it out and got a frag from a friend that is really pink, even far from light.

But check flow first, by the answers you got it seems to be the trick...
Old 01/08/2008, 06:16 PM
Boomer gave me this

Man thats a nice one Wesley
C
Old 01/09/2008, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

I got a frag of pink stylo that grows well but is dull tan instead of pink. In the tank it came from it's pink. That tank has 10K 250 Reeflux and I have 14K 250 Aquaconnect. I also have supplemental Figi Purple T-5 so I would think it would color up, but nnooooo....
Old 01/09/2008, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Canarygirl
I got a frag of pink stylo that grows well but is dull tan instead of pink. In the tank it came from it's pink. That tank has 10K 250 Reeflux and I have 14K 250 Aquaconnect. I also have supplemental Figi Purple T-5 so I would think it would color up, but nnooooo....
I think you have more nutrients than the tank it came with, that cause a "brown out" so to speak.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:19 AM
Premium Member

Yeah, sad but true.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

I have a small pink Stylo , about 1 1/2" and it is the most sensitive coral I have. It will retract it's polyps immediately if it senses a change in lights or additions of food/chems. It has prolly doubled it's size in the 6 months I have had it. Right now, it has some nasty invasive red algae growing up onto it's perimeter. I'm nervous about cutting it from it's base and remounting. I fear I will lose it if I don't though.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:18 AM
Registered Member

Wesley is that a stylo, or a pocillopora ?
Old 01/10/2008, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

Stylo