Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/19/2007, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

Question Banggai Cardinals

Has anybody ever bred these guys, i'm thinking bout gettin them down the road and would like to get a breeding pair. Are there any certain things that can help pick out the male from female or are is it a shot in the dark?
Old 03/19/2007, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Man I have had the worst luck with these guys. I have tried two and had them eating for a week and then die for no reason within a couple of days. My buddy has had three die on him. Anyhow, I have read alot of posts about people having great success with them though and apparently they are easy to care for.
Old 03/19/2007, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

The word is that recently wild caught specimens have not been real easy to keep at first. Captive bread, on the other had, are hardy.

There are a couple of people on RC that have bred them, with varying levels of success.
Old 03/20/2007, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

I too have had a wild caught die on me after three days recently. I thought it was just me.
Old 03/20/2007, 05:31 PM
Premium Member

here are two that i got from ORA via the LFS.. i wanted captive bred/tank raised as opposed to wild caught. i've seen the WC come in and as said, just not eat and die in short time.
i've had them about a month now and they eat like pigs...... i can only hope that they turn out to be a male/female pair... time will tell..

Old 03/21/2007, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

Wild caught don't eat and die in less than a week! I made that mistake buying wild caughts. I will buy captive bred tank raised next time! Learned my lesson the hard way!
Old 03/21/2007, 03:12 AM
Registered Member

Thanx for the input everyone, tank raised seems like the way to go.

So selecting a breeding is basically a crap shoot then?

Anymore pics of these beautiful fish anyone wants to share
Old 03/21/2007, 11:54 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by pbukow
Thanx for the input everyone, tank raised seems like the way to go.

So selecting a breeding is basically a crap shoot then?
Yes. You can go and read the rules about larger jaw, longer dorsal fin, and all that. If you follow those, you have about a 50/50 chance of getting a male (for those who aren't good at statistics, those are the same odds as you will get by picking two randomly).
Some stores will get them in batches of 20 or 30. If you watch them carefully, you'll notice them start to pair themselves off after a few days. At my old LFS, they used to catch those pairs and put them in separate tanks.

Dave
Old 03/21/2007, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolverine
Yes. You can go and read the rules about larger jaw, longer dorsal fin, and all that. If you follow those, you have about a 50/50 chance of getting a male (for those who aren't good at statistics, those are the same odds as you will get by picking two randomly).

Dave
Thanks Dave, next time my LFS gets some i will keep an eye on them? Just curious, what are the different rules/signs of sexing these guys?
Old 03/21/2007, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

tagging along here, is it ok to keep them singly, or do they do best in pairs?
Old 03/22/2007, 03:06 AM
Registered Member

I found this link from another site that is pretty relevant and seems to have answered my own thread. Thanks for the advice everyone and here's the link.

http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog...ni_020799.html
Old 03/22/2007, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

Had same problem with wildcaughts, now I have 4 Apogon leptacanthus/threadfin cardinals which are doing very well. I actually like them more now.

Dont know about breeding BC's, but thought i would put my vote in for not getting wild caught, or if you do buy like 12 and hope the law of percentages works in your favor.
Old 03/22/2007, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Lightbulb Captive Bred

I dont i agree with serious's method of selecting fish, when we are removing these animal's from the wild and damaging there natural habitat and by starting a fish tank we are responsible for the well being of the creatures that we choose to stock our aquariums with and we are obligated to replicate their home as close to their natural environment as possible so they can be healthy, safe and thrive.
I think a lot of us take advantage of how these animal's numbers are decreasing in the wild. Scientists estimate that mankind will have depleting the oceans of fish in as soon as 30 years. So anytime that a species is being captive bred and raised it is only fair that we be patient and purchase these hardier(more likely to survive in an aquarium environment anyway), just as beautiful and entertaining fish.

Sorry for the rant everyone, i just hate thinking about populations of animals being eradicated from the wild because of human action.
Old 03/23/2007, 08:25 AM
Registered Member

I have a pair of wild caught for about 7 months now and one has a crap load of eggs in his/her mouth pretty wild
Old 03/29/2007, 06:29 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by pbukow
I found this link from another site that is pretty relevant and seems to have answered my own thread. Thanks for the advice everyone and here's the link.

http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog...ni_020799.html
I should warn you that Frank himself no longer agrees with the "rules" that he laid out in those old talks about how to sex banggai cardinals, so don't expect to get better than 50/50 if you follow them.

Dave