Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 04:56 PM
Premium Member

Do Oscellaris Clowns mate for life, or can I set her up on a date

Does anyone know if an oscellaris clown mates for life? I would like to get a new Osce to replace the other clown that I had in my 20H. I got the two together, at the same time from the same brood. One grew faster than the other, and the one stayed small, thus I assumed they had become Male/Female differentiated. However, they never really engaged in spawning behaviour. I attribute this to being brother and sister, and they came from the same brood. So perhaps this was never an instinct for them to breed.

All the same, My female that remains, I can tell is depressed at the loss of her friend. I would like to get another one to replace him. I already know that I need to buy a small one, that is not threatening to the established tank, as well as give them adequate time to aclimate behind an acrylic guard.

But my question is, will they pair up? Or am I just adding another fish to the tank? If they don't pair up, then I'd just as well buy a different kind of fish that would be interesting but different.

Thanks in advance for replys.
Aaron
Old 12/17/2007, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

There is no way to guarantee they will pair up. I believe it is suggested to get a group of 4+ young clowns to have the most success.

The Red House = My Tank Thread

Livestock: A. Ocellaris Mated Pair, Six Line Wrasse, Lemonpeel Angel, Fiji Golden Sailfin Blenny, Purple Firefish Mated Pair.
Old 12/17/2007, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

That would be good if I could dispose of 3 or 4 other clowns, but I can't, and that would be a bit crowded in a 20H. You're logic, or advice, or experience is sound though, and make a lot of sense. This is for a display tank, I'm not interested in really breeding them. I just want them to be happy as a couple. Sounds more like an Orgy than pairing them up. But thanks for the reply.
Old 12/17/2007, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

what's wrong with a clownfish orgy?
Old 12/17/2007, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Re: Do Oscellaris Clowns mate for life, or can I set her up on a date

Quote:
Originally posted by dogstar74
However, they never really engaged in spawning behaviour. I attribute this to being brother and sister, and they came from the same brood. So perhaps this was never an instinct for them to breed.
Dogs, cats, and other higher mammals have no issues with breeding with their mother/father/sister/brother. Fish are no different. I've never tried to pair clowns up but yours not breeding has nothing to do with them being from the same brood.
Old 12/17/2007, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

So would she breed with another fish or did I buy a Hillary fish?