Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/13/2005, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

Planning a Tank from Afghanistan

Ok, I'm new to RC and the hobby. I've been deployed to Afghanistan with the national guard for a year and am getting ready to come home. The good tax-free money over here has enabled my wife and I to start the tank I've wanted for years. The problem is that researching equipment from here is kinda hard.

From reading the forums i've pretty much figured out what we need to start ordering. The plan is to start the tank cylcle when i get home (around 1 July).

We are planning our 75 gallon (drilled) tank around inverts, we like shrimp, crabs, and anenomies. w/ live rock and live sand

*We are planning to get the tank from all glass aquariums.com any thoughts on this.

*in sump euroreef skimmer large enough for a 135 gal tank (for later upgrades) (found on e-bay for $75, can i trust it)

*havn't decided on what kind of lights yet. thougths?

*I know i need a heater, return pump, thermoniter, test kits, salt, reverse osmosis system will come later, and probably an electronic tester.

any advice on any of this and best places to buy would be greatly appreciated.

Thankx
Old 05/13/2005, 09:43 AM
Timmah!

Welcome to ReefCentral, and thanks for your service to our country. Stay safe and come home in one piece!

Quote:
*We are planning to get the tank from all glass aquariums.com any thoughts on this.
I'm not familiar with ordering directly from them, but are there not any local aquarium shops that you can deal more directly with?

Quote:
*in sump euroreef skimmer large enough for a 135 gal tank (for later upgrades) (found on e-bay for $75, can i trust it)
Unfortunately I don't know much about skimmers, I'm still using the (probably woefully inadequate) skimmer that was built into my wet-dry filter that the LFS sold me. I'm sure others will have plenty of opinions on the skimmer though.

Quote:
*havn't decided on what kind of lights yet. thougths?
With the load you've described, a couple of VHO bulbs or a set of T5s or PCs will probably be sufficient. If you think you might want to go reef later and add corals, you'll be better off at least planning to go with MH lights now, and adding them later. That's what I did when I built my own canopy - ordered a reflector with mogul sockets already attached, so when I'm ready (which will be soon) I just have to wire in the MH ballasts and add the bulbs.

Quote:
*I know i need a heater, return pump, thermoniter, test kits, salt, reverse osmosis system will come later, and probably an electronic tester.
Depending on where you are, you may not need a heater at all. I live in south Florida, and my water is pretty much at 80F year-round. Once I add the MH lights, I'll probably have to consider a chiller to actually COOL my water some, not heat it.
Old 05/13/2005, 11:30 AM
Stinky Skimmer Owner

Again, Thank you for your service to this country.

I would start out with an RO/DI unit, it will help prevent major algae problems. www.airwaterice.com

For the other equipment, check out an rc sponsor. Click through the sponsor page to Custom Aquatic, rc members get a 5% discount.

As for lighting, like TimD said, if you thing you will want corals, go with MH up front, it's cheaper than upgrading. But, I keep LPS under VHO and they are thriving. I'll be getting MH soon so it's easier to keep SPS and clams.

Best of luck, and stay safe.

Ed

Click the little red house to read my new 225 thread.
Old 05/13/2005, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Thank you for making our lives, safer more secure
Old 05/13/2005, 02:15 PM
I'll take SWords for $500

LIke the above, thank you for your service!!!

The best thing to do is stick to this forum as much as you can and you'll learn more here than you will in any book or LFS. Take your time and have fun planning.

As far as the skimmer, I have a Euroreef (cant remember the rating). do two things:

- go to marinedepot.com and check out their skimmer section. gives you a good idea of the different types and ratings for each one. prices are good too.

- but for prices, do a search on here for euroreef "blems". blems are blemished skimmers that work just as well as the new ones. theyre even new skimmers but have tiny blemished and are sold at a huge discount. thats what i did and i couldnt be happier.

good luck!
Old 05/13/2005, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

You definately want to get an RO/DI system right away! don't wait as you could introduce nasties to your tank. It's worth the wait to do it right. Get all the right stuff first and then proceed. The one thing I've learned (the hard way) is to be patient.

Happy reefing!
Old 05/13/2005, 07:29 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Darn Newbie--I thought the national guard would train people in reefkeeping. After all, you never know when you have to invade a coral atoll!.

Hi Peppermint,

To Reef Central

I guess I would see about duty free equipment over there. I would worry about shipping it home as the transportation costs can be rather steep.

I have just the ticket for a newbie in the service with The New Tank Thread.

You get home safely, you hear. Now--Fallout!.

Tom
Old 05/13/2005, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

THANK YOU FOR SERVING!
Old 05/13/2005, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Check out this thread where I made some suggestions to a guy buying his equipment. There is a ton of good advice on this site, better than any book.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=590394

Best of luck. You've found the right place and you're asking the right questions.
Old 05/13/2005, 10:04 PM
Generic Member

I was in Roanoke recently. There is a pretty good SW LFS there called Something Fishy. The owner was very nice and pretty knowledgeable. He even knew about RC! I would also look him up if you haven't been there.

Good luck, and thank you for serving your country!
Old 05/14/2005, 07:59 AM
Registered Member

Thank you everyone so much, i love this sight...Waterkeeper, I think you can get reef training, but you have to go scuba, and they like drown you and stuff, its almost like SEAL training...no thank you.

sjm817- my wife has gone there to ask advice, thats how we found out about this sight, but i'm the planner of the 2 of us. They are a great store though we've been going there and dreaming of a tank since they opened.

We just found out that I am coming home a month early (YEAH!!!) so now I'll be home to order everything late June, and i'll be following all this advice, getting an RO/DI right off the bat, and i have no problem with useing blemished equipment.
thanx again everyone, and i'll be on quite a bit (it gets my mind out of the Ghan for awhile.