Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Smile upgrading to new tank

DH has finally allowed me to get a bigger reef tank. I've got a 100g acrylic and I'm switching to a drilled 220g tank. He's building the stand and is going to build a refugium. Um, all by next Wednesday, maybe (ok, doubtful since we don't have the acrylic to build the fuge yet, but I can dream, can't I?)

Fortunately it's going into a different spot than the old tank (he's not going to let me keep both- darn it) and I need advice on switching everything over.

I've got the live sand, and once we get the refugium built, I should put in the water, run the system for a couple of days to make sure it won't leak, add the salt mix, run till good and then add the sand. I've been told that I need to put in the sand and then some live rock out of my current tank (got plenty to spare) and into the new tank to keep the sand alive?

And the refugium? (I just have the w/d bioballs now with skimmer) I need to have it set up before I do all this? What kind of plants/things do I need in it? I've seen directions for the making of a refugium with types of things in it, but where do I get it/them and I need an idea of timing. I don't want to risk my corals/fish. And should I plan on using some of my old water from the 100g, or does it matter if I put in the live rock? Since I'm switching to a refugium, I won't have the bioballs with all my prior bacteria, etc. Can I just switch them all to the new tank at one time? They guy that is helping me wants to do that and is telling me that the tank doesn't need to cycle if I'm using the live sand and live rock... Sounds scary to me, but it's been a while since I set up my tank.

I have MH lights waiting for the tank. I've had my prior tank for about 8 years, but just came across this site last week (ok, so I'm not very computer literate and I'm a little slow....)
Old 12/06/2007, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

Put the sand in first--cover it with a garbage bag and then gently pour your mixed saltwater in. I say mixed, because it's quicker than having it mix in the tank. Let it run for a couple of days until the temp is dialed in.

doing the switch:
-Drain out about 100g. you can drain more if needed. I would keep some handy in case you drain too much.
-Get a rubbermaid and put enough water (old tank water) in there to house your corals/live stock for a little while.
-Then, put all your rocks and as much of your old water into your new tank as possible. Then, add your live stock in it.
Old 12/06/2007, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

[welcome]
Old 12/08/2007, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

The reason for putting the non-salt water in, was just in case there were any leaks in the system- wouldn't ruin the rug/flooring, etc. I thought I would run the system with fresh RO water first for a day or two to make sure we weren't going to have any disasters.....
Old 12/09/2007, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

What about the refugium? I don't need the bioballs anymore, right? Where do I get the plants/other things for the refugium? Are they in the live sand that I've bought and I just put them in there after the salt is at the right spec. grav?