Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 08/30/2007, 01:01 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by spleen93
Marc - you want to lend NG the $2500 to get the big tank
I'm looking for one myself.
Old 08/30/2007, 01:33 AM
Girls Rule!

LoL =) You guys are cracking me up.
Old 08/30/2007, 02:30 AM
Registered Member

I still think a 240 would look better than hardwood flooring.

Great writeup on the care you've taken on Ocean.

If Pacman had effected us as kids, then we'd all be running around in a dark room, munching pills and listening to repetitive music
Old 08/30/2007, 03:08 AM
Girls Rule!

lol.... thank you! =)
Old 08/30/2007, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

Ok also good advice... lol thanks

Ok i have another question. How does your water enter the 75g after the sump? I see the mag (7 is it?) but wheres the nozel that sends the water back in the tank? Is it in the overflow box? You've done a good job of hiding it lol

Dr. Dolittle
Old 08/30/2007, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

ooops, double post

Dr. Dolittle
Old 08/30/2007, 08:30 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by dr.dolittle
Ok also good advice... lol thanks

Ok i have another question. How does your water enter the 75g after the sump? I see the mag (7 is it?) but wheres the nozel that sends the water back in the tank? Is it in the overflow box? You've done a good job of hiding it lol

Dr. Dolittle
It's a Mag5. Hopefully these photos will help you.

Old 08/30/2007, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Yes! those are awesome, now i see how you did it Thanks for the pics.
Old 08/30/2007, 06:17 PM
Girls Rule!

You're welcome
Old 08/30/2007, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

How do you like the phoenix 14ks?
Old 08/30/2007, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

I had to rush earlier... and wanted to ask if the mag 5 gives enough movement in the tank? Also, do you find Ocean likes lots of water current, in the open? Or the slow movement in and around caves/rockwork.

I saw a PBT at the LFS today, im in love! He was probably 4", and looked exactly like Ocean, except a little paler as he was just shipped from somewhere (new fish shipment came in, he was one of them). I also told my parents about my 125g plan, and told them about PBT's and they were like "OMG! thats so big!!!!" hehe. They like the idea of a Powder blue though, and next time i go in a LFS that has one/some, they said they will come in to see him to. They like looking at tangs, especially blue ones. They just think im nuts im willing to get a 125g system for one lol

Thanks again mate, your so helpful
Old 08/30/2007, 08:57 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by AMIFL
How do you like the phoenix 14ks?
I love them! I don't have actinics, so this gives me the best of both worlds. I can tell you the PAR is plenty for all softies and LPS. They even bleached my birdsnest that was used to 10K coralife bulbs. I don't have any other SPS so I can't really vouch for that, but I doubt it would be any problems.
Old 08/30/2007, 09:00 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by dr.dolittle
I had to rush earlier... and wanted to ask if the mag 5 gives enough movement in the tank? Also, do you find Ocean likes lots of water current, in the open? Or the slow movement in and around caves/rockwork.

I saw a PBT at the LFS today, im in love! He was probably 4", and looked exactly like Ocean, except a little paler as he was just shipped from somewhere (new fish shipment came in, he was one of them). I also told my parents about my 125g plan, and told them about PBT's and they were like "OMG! thats so big!!!!" hehe. They like the idea of a Powder blue though, and next time i go in a LFS that has one/some, they said they will come in to see him to. They like looking at tangs, especially blue ones. They just think im nuts im willing to get a 125g system for one lol

Thanks again mate, your so helpful
That's really cool your parents are supportive of your tank. Most people that don't know fish freak out when you say 6' tank, but after seeing it and being around it, they really aren't all that big. They are a great medium sized tank.

The Mag5 is fine for what it is, a return flow to the tank. I don't use it for flow and turnover. I have two NanoStream 6045's for flow and it's a ton in my tank. I believe I have something like 36x turnover atm.

You're welcome! =)
Old 08/30/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

lol i know! At the LFS there was a 75g and a 125g beside eachother. The 75g look TINY, and the 125g looked small. So thats why i want a 125g... to look good sized, and to house a happy PBT oh and some other fish aswell lol

Ok ok. Yes i too will have other powerheads e.t.c. Forgot about them... Thanks.
Old 08/30/2007, 11:11 PM
Girls Rule!

Old 09/03/2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

NanoGurl, I must say your documentation and attention to detail is amazing. Your pics are amazing and I must say have really inspired me. It has taken me a few day to read up to the first split, so I still have a ways to go to catch up, but this has been the most interesting, helpful and at times the most funny thread I've seen.

I in the planning process of setting up my daughters 20L in her room before I begin to tackle my 75 gallon in the living room. So this tread and your nano thread have really given me some information to start with. Especially with the seahorses for the nano.

However, I did have a question though. I was wondering how do you acclimate everyting? I really haven't seen/read any info on how you have done that before adding the fish/coral/inverts to the tank. Coming for the FW world, the only acclimation was to basically match the temp, by floating the bag for a while in the tank. Then simply dumping the fish over a bucket as to only add the fish and not the LFS water as well.

Thanks for all the indirect help you have given me and to the countless others. It is really good to see someone (male or female) who is really dedicated to what they do as well as having other intrest in their life. Keep up the good work and one day I hope to be as good as you. Keep us updated on how things are going.
Thanks
Old 09/04/2007, 08:25 AM
Girls Rule!

Awww thanks a lot =) That's so sweet. I'm really happy to hear this thread has helped you out. It's been a lot of fun for sure! Lot of characters in here!

I'm going to be yelled at, but to be honest lately I have not acclimated much of anything except for temps. I usually check the salinity in the bag (for fish) prior to adding it to my tanks. If it's close, lately I have just been adding them in there after I float the bag for awhile.

However, I don't suggest doing this especially for "newbs." I used to use and still have a drip acclimation kit that was really cheap. It's basically airline tubing with a "U" shape to sit on top of the tank.. and it has a knob you can turn to adjust the flow of the water. I used to set it to drip about a drip a second and would do that for awhile which worked good for me.

The reason why I went away from that was that by the time I did all that the temps were usually farther apart then I liked. I also figured that if the parameters were close it was okay.

Some people swear by never acclimating anything. Others swear that you have too. The only time I have personally seen a fish react badly to being added to new water was when the temps were too far apart (koi fish) and a freshwater dip that I did to a fish and it shocked the fish into a state of total shock.

HTH and thanks again =)
Old 09/04/2007, 01:08 PM
Reefin' Ain't Easy!

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
lol... no i totally got IDK my BFF Jill. This was harder!
I have heard this so many times, on tv and at Wal*mart (makes me want to knock those tv's over at work lol.)

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
Are you asking me?

I like the Phoenix 14k bulbs and the ripple effects with MH.
I was considering them for my tank when i order new ones, i want it bluer to bring out more color in the tank i hear good things about them.
"All the clownfish and yellow tangs in the world can't help you now!" - Peter Griffin
Old 09/05/2007, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

Fantastic thread NanoGurl..

I just started a 75 gallon jus a few months ago and learn something new everyday. I love your tank though and your pets

How is your ferret doing? What did you name him/her?

This is Loki (named after the Norse god of mischief). and he lives up to his name, hehe.

Ca = 420
Alk = 9
Mg = 1350
NO2, NH3 = 0
NO3 = 0
Old 09/06/2007, 06:27 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Criminal#58369
I have heard this so many times, on tv and at Wal*mart (makes me want to knock those tv's over at work lol.)
hehehe she's so cute though!
Old 09/06/2007, 06:44 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nanz
How is your ferret doing? What did you name him/her?

This is Loki (named after the Norse god of mischief). and he lives up to his name, hehe.
Thanks! =) Congrats on your 75 and Loki is beautiful =) I love his panda markings!

This is Bailey. She is very sweet and loving for a ferret.

She loves to jump in my lap and bite my hands and toes. Her latest thing is trying to run up my back! LoL
Old 09/06/2007, 07:06 PM
Premium Member

NanoGurl's 75g Reef Thread ( 1 2 3 4 ) NanoGurl 96 100000 09/06/2007 08:06 PM
by Pmolan

100,000 views!! Most downloaded girl on the internet!!
Old 09/06/2007, 07:07 PM
Girls Rule!

We stopped by our new house last weekend to show my mom our new lot. She was visiting from out of town and this was the first time she had seen it. It was nice to show her around.

They started building our neighbors house behind us.

This is the field besides our house. It used to be a huge hole, but they have filled in which makes it a lot nicer.

Here is a view where our house will be. Our car is parked in our future driveway.

Just to the left of the house.

Me running away from the camera hehe.
Old 09/06/2007, 07:10 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Pmolan
NanoGurl's 75g Reef Thread ( 1 2 3 4 ) NanoGurl 96 100000 09/06/2007 08:06 PM
by Pmolan

100,000 views!! Most downloaded girl on the internet!!
LoL =) Thanks that was kewl to see!
Old 09/06/2007, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

Nice, the famous Nanogurl pose.