Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids

Old 01/11/2008, 12:39 AM
Registered Member

Wow, what a read ! Read every post !
I love my zoas and palys, and had a buddy lose almost every colony to this red algae. We assumed it was cyano, and treated it likewise. It saved some, but not many polyps. I just had a colony get desimated too. Off to the medicine cabinet !!
Old 01/11/2008, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

Forgot to mention

Try Mrs. Wages Pickeling Lime for kiling aptasia. Look for it in your local grocery store in the canning section. It's a powder that you can mix with just a little water to make a paste that works great on aptasia, large and small. The thicker the mix the better as long as you can spray it. I like a "blob" to come out and land right in the center of the aptasia. Not a bunch of powder that can blow all over. I use the syringe from a Joe's juice, minus the green tip. Turn off all flow and have at them. They will melt before your eyes !! I also use it for my top-off as a kalk.
Old 01/11/2008, 03:01 AM
barnacle boy

i used to have at least a few spots of ich on my tangs all the time but now they show no sign of it. i also add it to food.
Old 01/11/2008, 03:03 AM
Pufferkrazy!

I'm really hoping this is going to help my babyburr--you know how cute he is!!!
Old 01/11/2008, 03:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pufferpunk
I'm really hoping this is going to help my babyburr--you know how cute he is!!!
Off topic but what worked GREAT for me with my powder brown tang was soaking their food in garlic extract. I just threw 3-4 drops with the mysis,brine and plankton, waited 1-2 hours and feed them. 2-3 days later he was looking great. I also lowered my salinity too from a .021 to a .018 which may contributed to the health.
Old 01/11/2008, 03:51 AM
barnacle boy

im scared to lower the salinity that much in the tank, im worried for my SPS. garlic extract is great in food. i made a big bowl of home made food and i didnt use any water in the mix just kent garlic extreme. it reeks of garlic. i even seen my zoa grabbing it and eating some.
it never made as big a difference in my fish appearance as the vitamin C did. if the light hits my blue tang just perfect it reflects the light as if it had a million microscopic prisms for scales.
Old 01/11/2008, 06:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by addicted4life
Forgot to mention

Try Mrs. Wages Pickeling Lime for kiling aptasia. Look for it in your local grocery store in the canning section. It's a powder that you can mix with just a little water to make a paste that works great on aptasia, large and small. The thicker the mix the better as long as you can spray it. I like a "blob" to come out and land right in the center of the aptasia. Not a bunch of powder that can blow all over. I use the syringe from a Joe's juice, minus the green tip. Turn off all flow and have at them. They will melt before your eyes !! I also use it for my top-off as a kalk.
OOOH! Thanks for this info. I will give it a shot!!! Of course, the ones in the back that I cant get to their oral disc, what to do then??? Do I just pour it on them?
Also, I have alot of htem. Maybe in the 30'ish # that I can tell. How many should I attack at one time? I don't want the water chemistry to go haywire on me.

I'm broke!
Old 01/11/2008, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

What's the best muilt test kit? I have a general kit but it's over 4 years old, plus it doesn't test Calcium or PH. I also have test strips but those aren't very accurate. I would like to test all my perameters befor I start dosing the Vit C.
Old 01/11/2008, 01:32 PM
Pufferkrazy!

I have been using Salifert up until now but I'll be looking for something else soon. Salifert seems to have let their buyers down, selling a bunch of bad alk test kits & not communicating with the buyers after a while. For a few months they were replacing the bad kits with new ones & a reagent to test against, then they just stopped answering all emails & PMs. I recently noticed their forum has been deleted from RC. I know my Ca test has gone bad too.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:35 PM
Ryan Steagall

Pufferpunk, can you do a short faq on this vitC stuff? ie... which pills are the best... .how much to add at first and later... what kind of stuff to watch.... about how long should it take to see results..... ect ect.

Also... how do you calculate how much to dose?

I've got some zoos that I got a couple weeks ago... put them in my nano. They seemed to do fine seemed to do fine. I was going to move them to my main tank... so I did a fw dip for a couple minutes with PH and temp set properly and now they are melting. I've now moved them into my newly built frag tank, but they continue to melt/disintegrate

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited by rsteagall; 01/11/2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01/11/2008, 03:25 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Please read the link here. It explains everything.
http://www.athiel.com/lib2/pguide/vitami1.html
Old 01/11/2008, 03:30 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

rsteagall, why did you dip them in freshwater? Were you afraid of them having flukeworms? I cant think of any other reason to dip corals in freshwater.

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 01/11/2008, 04:26 PM
Ryan Steagall

Quote:
Originally posted by Engine 7
rsteagall, why did you dip them in freshwater? Were you afraid of them having flukeworms? I cant think of any other reason to dip corals in freshwater.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=451720
Old 01/11/2008, 04:31 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Oh cool. I have never heard of that.

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 01/11/2008, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by madadi
im scared to lower the salinity that much in the tank, im worried for my SPS. garlic extract is great in food. i made a big bowl of home made food and i didnt use any water in the mix just kent garlic extreme. it reeks of garlic. i even seen my zoa grabbing it and eating some.
it never made as big a difference in my fish appearance as the vitamin C did. if the light hits my blue tang just perfect it reflects the light as if it had a million microscopic prisms for scales.
I did the drop with salinity based on my LFS they have it at a lower amount due less parasites (I guess its along the lines on how we dip marine fish in freshwater). My sps's are doing fine, Plus I have a variety of corals that came from all parts of the ocean so salinity is always going to be diffrent. Glad to see the Vitamin C worked for you.
Old 01/11/2008, 06:09 PM
Pufferkrazy!

I did a 30 minute FW dip on my puffer last night & upped the C to 1000mg, 2x/day (40g tank). Today, no spots.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

I would definately NOT lower a sps tank to 1.018. It sounds like it worked for Island, but I know of MANY people who have lost sps down in that range.

Back to Vit C!

Todd
Old 01/11/2008, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexasTodd

Back to Vit C!

Todd
And if we should just add it to our top off water .
Old 01/11/2008, 10:46 PM
Ryan Steagall

I think my frag tank has about 50 gallons or so of water in it... I just threw in 1x500mg pill... hopefully that wasn't too much.
Old 01/12/2008, 12:45 AM
barnacle boy

i was thinking of adding it to my top off, since its low oxygen water it should be ok for a few days in the RO water reservoir. then it passes trough the kalk reactor where the low pH of the vitamin C might be able to dissolve more kalk and therefore bring even more calcium into the main tank with it.

im just speculating though i should run some tests
Old 01/12/2008, 12:54 AM
barnacle boy

theoretically it should work just like adding vinegar to the top off water dissolves more calcium since its acidic. im worried that the vitamin C might bring the calcium out of solution though and make it insoluble in water. that will make the calcium unusable by corals and the water cloudy.
this way of dosing vitamin C is worth exploring since its introduced to the tank at a much more constant rate.
Old 01/12/2008, 02:18 AM
Pufferkrazy!

My concern would be that the dose would be too small to make enough difference.

According to that article:
"In the prophylactic treatment one we stay at the same dose every day. It should be noted, and will be repeated, that the dose required to achieve a certain concentration needs to be added at least once a day."

Maybe for prophylactic pourposes dripping might be OK:
"When treating an aquarium on a preventative basis only, it is not necessary to add real large dosages of Vitamin C. All we are trying to achieve is to provide the fish and other animals with a constant, low, supply of Vitamin C to build up their immune systems over a period of time, and take advantage of the other benefits offered by this vitamin."

For folks complaining about their skimmers going crazy:
"Use a real pure type that does not contain binders, starches, sugars, emollients etc. Read the label carefully before making a selection. Eliminate any possible problems by using such a brand or type of Vitamin C. Not only can they be detrimental to the water quality, but they can affect the way your protein skimmer foams (too heavily in most cases)."

I CAN'T STRESS ENOUGH, THAT EVERYONE HERE WHO IS DOSING WITH VITAMIN C, READ THIS ENTIRE ARTICLE:
http://www.livingreefs.com/forums/sa...vitamin-c.html
Old 01/12/2008, 02:24 AM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by madadi
i was thinking of adding it to my top off, since its low oxygen water it should be ok for a few days in the RO water reservoir. then it passes trough the kalk reactor where the low pH of the vitamin C might be able to dissolve more kalk and therefore bring even more calcium into the main tank with it.

im just speculating though i should run some tests
The lime water in the reactor will totally neutralize any vitamin C you add to it.
Old 01/12/2008, 02:26 AM
Pufferkrazy!

I'm really glad we have some scientific types following this thread!