Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/30/2006, 05:29 PM
Fish nerd

painting over lipstick?

I'm prepping the girls' room for a fresh coat of paint--we've been in the house for 3 years and I still haven't gotten around to personalizing their room for them. I'm wondering how to prep the area where they decided to kiss the walls with lots of greasy lip gloss? I tried to clean it off when it happened, only managed to get the pink off but it left behind oily marks. (It doesn't help that they smeared it ALL over a 2x3' area when they tried to hide the evidence!) Do I need to sand the area? Use a special primer to block the oil from bleeding through the new coat of paint?

Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.
-George Eliot
Old 04/30/2006, 05:37 PM
Shh... We're fishing.

Before my parents Beat us kids enough so that we didn't Touch the Walls, EVER....

They used Fantastik to clean the walls. It's got bleach in it, I believe. Or maybe try a dish soap that cuts grease.
Old 04/30/2006, 05:56 PM
Tiny Miracles.

Are you planning to repaint? If so I would go purchase a product called Kilz. Basically its a primer that will cover the oil and allow the paint to cover it up...
Old 04/30/2006, 06:00 PM
Fish nerd

Yes, hoping to paint it this week (the whole room, not just the oily spots).

Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.
-George Eliot
Old 04/30/2006, 07:28 PM
Stop touching me!!!

Old 04/30/2006, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

3d on the kilz works great
Old 04/30/2006, 07:42 PM
Moved In

Mr. Clean erasars work pretty good.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 04/30/2006, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

A product called Greased Lighting might work as well. Cuts grease and like no other.
Old 04/30/2006, 08:33 PM
no pig 2 big

Binz as well as Kilz both work well. Use the oil based it seems to work the best...
Old 04/30/2006, 08:58 PM
Team RC Member

Dawn dish detergent, maybe, followed by Kilz, followed by paint. I'd let the daughters scrub the walls. (evil grin.)

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 04/30/2006, 09:04 PM
Premium Member

Goo-Gone cleaner is made for this also. It cleans all sorts of stuff off walls, material and etc. I used it to take colored ink and crayons off my kids walls when they were little before painting. Son decided to trace the woodwork around his one wall one day when he was about 4-5yrs old. Took it right off and no trouble painting over it without primer first.
Old 04/30/2006, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Christy... I was bored and figured I'd search it out for ya... Looks like #3 is what you want to read through KILZ I think is your answer...
http://www.wonderfaux.com/hints.html

Now you know we're going to want some photos of this project, right???

Christy...

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 05/01/2006, 07:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
Dawn dish detergent, maybe, followed by Kilz, followed by paint. I'd let the daughters scrub the walls. (evil grin.)
ohhh i like the way you think!
Old 05/01/2006, 07:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hoggn
Binz as well as Kilz both work well. Use the oil based it seems to work the best...
I agree. Make sure you have lots of ventillation in the room that you're painting because that stuff stinks to high heaven.
Old 05/01/2006, 09:01 PM
Fish nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
Well, they ARE only 4, but yes--they got to do some scrubbing when they made the mess last year! (I waited a while to pain to be sure that I got through to them that drawing on walls is a big no-no.) I've got two walls primed so far, I totally forgot to get a greasy "before" shot for you. I was so glad to see that mess get covered up!

-George Eliot
Old 05/28/2006, 08:50 AM
Fish nerd

Another painting question for those "in the know". Since I've got the painting bug, I started in on the living room. I love the color I picked, but I went with a satin finish for the cleanability factor (our family spends the bulk of our indoor time in this room). The color is a deep red (called Royal Garnet, fwiw) so it really seems to suck up the lighting (fine with me). The downside is that the finish has just enough sheen to highlight the surface flaws that I hadn't noticed before painting.

If I switch to an eggshell or flat finish, do you think one coat over the satin will be enough to give it an even cover? Or will I be back to doing another two coats? Anyone else use satin in their living room? The old paint was flat and really battered with scuffs and stains, I was hoping the satin would hold up better to the trials of three youngsters!

-George Eliot
Old 05/28/2006, 09:02 AM
Team RC Member

One good coat with matte finish should help. If some of your 'highlighting' is coming from moveable lights, rearranging the furniture and lights might help on the worst spots, and if coming from the windows, voile [that's the filmy stuff] curtains---I think I have that word right---should diffuse the light a bit, help the glare off raised surfaces, and still let you see out.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 05/28/2006, 09:46 AM
Fish nerd

Thanks, sk8r, I totally forgot that the curtains aren't up! There isn't much lighting in the room: just two spotlights over the fireplace to light up the family portrait and then some lighting in the hallway that spills in. I'll finish my second coat of satin, hang the curtains and then reevaluate. The problem is that the previous owners (the builders of the home) were pretty sloppy with their painting and wall patching. The highlights are over a couple of THEIR old paint drips and one nasty patch-job in particular. I should have sanded them, but didn't even see them until I had my paint on.

Drop-cloth is back down, tape is placed, here comes coat number two!

-George Eliot
Old 05/28/2006, 10:25 AM
no pig 2 big

Try replacing the bulbs over the fire place with a flood if you have spots in there. You can also patch the rough spots now and repaint that area.
Old 05/28/2006, 10:32 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

and here I thought a blonde was trying to re-color her lips....