Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/09/2005, 10:22 PM
Premium Member

I liked Nikko, he sang well.

Where's your will to be weird?
Old 03/09/2005, 11:27 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, I was shocked to see him go. The others weren't a surprise I guess.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 03/14/2005, 06:52 AM
Registered Member

Well just out reading this morning and came across this... Probably already know about it, but here is the story...

Mario Vazquez Drops Out of 'American Idol'
Mar 13, 11:05 PM EST

Fan favorite Mario Vazquez withdrew from "American Idol" on Sunday, and producers called in the son of a baseball Hall of Famer as backup.

Vazquez, 27, cited "personal reasons" for his withdrawal and no other details were available, Fox announced in a statement. The New York City singer, who works with emerging musical artists, had been picked by many fans and three fellow finalists as a favorite to win the competition.

Fox bumped Nikko Smith, the son of baseball great Ozzie Smith, into Vazquez's spot because Smith got more votes than Travis Tucker when both were voted off Wednesday, the network said.

Smith, 22, of St. Louis, Mo., said in an interview before Sunday's announcement that he wasn't surprised to have been voted off.

"I wasn't as disappointed as people thought I would be because I've made it so far," he told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "I'm happy to get all that exposure. Millions and millions of people watch the show, and hopefully somebody saw me and liked what they saw."

Now, viewers of the No. 1-rated series will get a chance to reconsider their votes as Smith and the other 11 finalists perform next Tuesday.

Vazquez is not the first to leave "Idol" unexpectedly, though few have done so willingly. Last year, George Huff was called back to Los Angeles when contestant Donnie Williams was cited for DUI. And in 2003, three contestants were dropped by Fox, two for failing to disclose arrest records and another for posing on an adult-oriented Web site.

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 03/14/2005, 08:24 AM
PARC Member & Reef Monkey

wow, hadn't heard that--thanks for posting it. Will be interesting to see how they address it this week.
Old 03/14/2005, 12:10 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

I read this last night. Pretty Sad . He was one of my favorites.

The the main rumors in the Idol forums are that his mother had taken ill, and the other was that he did not want to sign anything obligating him to the show (idols on tour, idols Christmas album, etc. etc.)

It will be interesting to see how they try to explain it on the show.
Old 03/14/2005, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

Yes, Nikko is back! Hooray!!

Where's your will to be weird?
Old 03/14/2005, 06:00 PM
Premium Member

I hadn't heard that. Thanks thebimbo!

Old 03/14/2005, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

Anytime Loungers... Gotta be kept up to date on things ...

TheBimbo

panties...?

lace panties...?

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 03/14/2005, 10:18 PM

my husband thanks you, he is really into the Idol this year.
Old 03/15/2005, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Yeah it's meeee again... I liked tonight... Anwar- Bo- Nikko-Scott and Carrie... It's gettting sooooo goooood!!! Mikaylah and Lindsey were good too... I kinda liked them all in an odd sort of way... I just like to watch them all perform and do their best... Gosh, am I sounding like Paula???

TheBimbo

panties...?

lace panties...?

Old 03/15/2005, 09:24 PM

Yes----you sound like Paula. Slam some people why don't you!

Guess we can't do that until after thrlride has watched it.
Old 03/15/2005, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

Yeppper... You got it.... He is sorta unofficially the official American Idol guy Can't wait for him to hurry and watch it so that we can find out what he thought...

TheBimbo

panties...?

lace panties...?

Old 03/15/2005, 09:39 PM

If he has it on tivo tonight, arghhhhh, cuz I wanna talk
Old 03/15/2005, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

More than likely he does... I will have to check back in on this in the morning, I have a serious headache and am on my way to bed... My pill is kicking in and I'm barely able to keep my eyes open... So I hope that the conversation goes well tonight...

TheBimbo

panties...?

lace panties...?

Old 03/15/2005, 11:34 PM
Xenia Philanthropist

LOL. Well, I am not waiting for thrlride. I'll just see what he thinks compared to my opinion.

Here's what I thought:

The good:

Nadia (Of course! My choice at this point for winning the competition!)
Constantine (His best voice work yet - he impressed me tonight)
Bo (I hate that song, but he made it interesting)

The pretty good:

Carrie (Still wanna see her really go for the big notes again. I think she has the best voice in the competition but needs to work on her stage presence and performing)
Anwar (boring performance but good singing)
Vonzell (she is getting better!)
Anthony (good singer but boring onstage)
Jessica (interesting voice but boring song choice)

The HORRID:

Mikalah (YIKES! Why is she HERE??? She has a terrible voice.)
Lindsey (Still bland. Unless she steps it up, she'll be gone this week or next.)
Nikko (Should have stayed gone. Seems like a nice guy, but not a great singer.)
Scott (why is he HERE? His singing is mediocre at best and his image/look is horrible.)

My pick for the one leaving would be Mikalah or Lindsey.

Crystal
Old 03/16/2005, 01:06 AM
Premium Member

I heard my name! Let the opinions fly! I'll be sure not to check this thread after the show tomorrow though until I watch it.

I need to seek help, I'm the official AI guy?

< holding head in shame >

Old 03/16/2005, 01:54 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Boring, They need to get Ted Nugent as a guest judge. Now that would be intertaining
Old 03/16/2005, 04:05 AM
Ocean God

The horrid thing is that this show is actuall watched!

Never mind the fact that it's spawned a country music version on USA...
Old 03/16/2005, 10:13 AM
Onizzle Rizzle

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmaniac1
The horrid thing is that this show is actuall watched!

Never mind the fact that it's spawned a country music version on USA...
Last week AI held spots 2, 3, 4 of the top ten shows, all together totaling 75 MILLION viewers. What TV executive would not want a piece of that?

I am pretty much with CrystalAZ this week. I do not know if I would put Constantine in the top 3, but it was his best performance to date.

I also would add Nikko to the list of those that could go home. I think it was kind of bad timing to pick a MJ song. Plus, I didn't think his version was even close to being as good as the original. However, I hope that he does get to stay another week so he is at least given a fair chance to compete (i.e. a full week of practice).

Did anyone else think that the judging was a little harsh this week? I am thinking back to the competitions at this point in previous years, and this years pool of talent IMO is in another class. Perhaps because of this the judges have higher expectations, but it seems to me that they are being hyper-critical.
Old 03/16/2005, 11:30 AM

Tonight was the only night I have liked Constantine's voice--sorry to anybody who likes him. I like Anwar but agree that tonight was just "blah". I think Bo has an incredible voice and does best when he can rock like he did tonight. I really like Carrie, but feel that if she changes they complain that she didn't stay true and if she stays the same, they complain because she didn't do something different. Randy was in a foul mood last night and I am soooo tired of Paula's good two-shoes speeches--BTW--anybody else think she looked like, like, well, hmmmm....that she looked bad?

I like Scott's voice and always have. I think they have done a lot with his image, but might need to do more for him to be "An Idol". I bet that he gets a contract no matter what happens. JMO

I like "Nashville Star" even better than AI because they get to a point where they have to also write their own stuff. They have had some incredible talent come off there!
Old 03/16/2005, 11:30 AM

sorry, my computer hung up and I ended up with a double post--MODS feel free to delete.
Old 03/16/2005, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

i was really surprised at some of the things Randy said about the singers this week. What some of these kids have not understood yet is basic song choice. They all have great voices. But a couple have star quality. Bo and Nadia have star quality. They are very comfortable on the stage and they know how to pick a song. They also give it all they have that i have not seen some of the others do.

Mikayla on the other hand does have that nanny voice and she uses it like a weapon! the thing is.. she has talent. but she has no clue as to what songs to choose! and its making her look bad.

Anwar is incredible too and knows how to choose great songs. But Bo and Nadia pick better songs that showcase their talents more. Nadia is definitley a power singer.

Carrie is so sweet. she has a great country music voice. I wonder why she chose to do American Idol instead of Nashville Star? Both Carrie and Lyndsey seem to do better with country songs. that part always kinda ticks me off. The American Idol is for pop/rock music Not country music. but there are always a few that do country better.

I like Constantine. But I think he needs to practice his songs more. And work on song choice. This weeks performance was the best by far he has done yet. he murdered Rose on the Grey. one of my favorite songs!

I am happy that Niko is getting another chance. He's a good performer. Simon needs to go back and listen to the jackson five perform that song. Niko did it great.

I will miss Mario. He was always fun and has lots of talent.

Vonzell really shined last night. I think she finally found the song genre she needs to be in! She looked really pretty too.

Anthony has such a lovely voice very soothing gentle sounding. But I think he better up the power if he wants to stay much longer. Tonight could be it for him.

I really enjoy Jessica's personality. She's got a great voice and seems pretty happy at what she's doing. I hope she sticks around a bit longer. She's another one that seems really comfortable on the stage. I don't get that feeling from Carrie or Lyndsey.

Scott is a great singer. He needs towork on stage performance tho to better his chances. he needs to take a risk in song choice. I'd really like to hear him take on a power song. just to see if he can pull it off. I am begining to think he's hiding more talent that he's showing.

I hate to see anyone leave tongiht really. but i figure it will be lyndsey anthony scott or carrie. I wish them luck!
Old 03/16/2005, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

<>

I think what Niko was trying to say was in the title of the song. Give me one more chance! He unexpectedly got another chance to go for it again! and asking America to give him anopther chance at it. can you imagine getting that call the week after you were voted off and thought it was over?

I dont think of the MJ of now when i hear that song. I think of the jackson5 I loved as a kid, with the sweet little boy with the great voice. That child is gone forever in more ways than one sad to say.
Old 03/16/2005, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sunamoon
The American Idol is for pop/rock music Not country music. but there are always a few that do country better.
I think because Pop and Country have such a cross-over that it is ok. One example is Faith Hill--her songs really fit both.

Quote:
Originally posted by sunamoon
Scott is a great singer. He needs towork on stage performance tho to better his chances. he needs to take a risk in song choice. I'd really like to hear him take on a power song. just to see if he can pull it off. I am begining to think he's hiding more talent that he's showing.
I totally agree. I've really liked his audition and there was something there that Simon saw immediately. I think Simon is a real jerk sometimes, but he does know how to pick talent.
Old 03/16/2005, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Well i wont say who got the boot in case we have west coasters out there. But man i cannot imagine trying to sing with conviction right after you heard its over for you. the others better kick it up a notch next week for sure!!