Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/02/2005, 10:39 AM
Premium Member

I haven't watched Monday or Tuesdays performances yet but I did hear Carrie last night and don't think that was a very good song for her.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 03/02/2005, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

I had to disagree with all three judges on the farm girl's performance last night. I think they're trying to shoe horn her and when she broke from that mold they didn't get it.

I mean, if Johnny Cash can win a Grammy for a Nine Inch Nails song, she can go up on stage and do Janis. Maybe it's just me but I enjoy covers that sound nothing like the original.
Old 03/02/2005, 02:12 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

Well I've seen both performances, and all I have to say is that the girls are lucky that they are in a separate group or there would be 4 of them going home tonight.
Old 03/02/2005, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

What i thought was funny is they were critisizing her for not doing a country song, yet the version she did is the country re-do by Faith Hill....nearly exactly. Either they had no idea that Faith did a cover of the song, or they just didn't like the perforance.

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 03/02/2005, 03:40 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

I wonder if the judges are seeing something different than we are. Or if they have different expectations for different contestants. I did not see any "Great" performances. Most were good and several that were just OK. Yet the judges seemed to give praise and criticize somewhat disproportionately. Personally I did not get what it was they liked so much about Jessica's performance or why they all seemed to really dislike what Carrie did.

I guess it is a good thing that it is not up to the judges.

I would be surprised if Janay made it through to next week. But are several IMO that are riding the fence after last nights performance.
Old 03/02/2005, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by emilye2
What i thought was funny is they were critisizing her for not doing a country song, yet the version she did is the country re-do by Faith Hill....nearly exactly. Either they had no idea that Faith did a cover of the song, or they just didn't like the perforance.

Thanks for clearing this up for me, as I thought that it was also a remake... But I was not sure if it was or not... I like her alot, I hope that she makes it to the end...

Going to have record tonights results b/c I won't be home...

TheBimbo

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 03/02/2005, 03:56 PM
Monkey

yeah - I always thought of Janis as having a slight country twang to her voice anyway. I mean - Me and Bobby McGee???
Old 03/02/2005, 04:18 PM
Xenia Philanthropist

None of the girls blew me away last week. There was no performance that really stood out. I was looking for great things from Nadia and Carrie, and ... eh.

The one that surprised me most this week was Mikalah. I liked her voice with the song she picked.

Crystal
Old 03/02/2005, 04:21 PM
Xenia Philanthropist

Oh and for the girls, Selena and Lindsey will probably go home, but could be replaced by either Janay or Amanda.

I kinda hope Janay stays. She has an interesting voice - she just needs to get over the nerves. She looked terrified last night!

Crystal
Old 03/02/2005, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out. Shows how much I know about country.

It's kind of funny, I don't listen to any of the music that they sing on this show. I'm more a hard core and indie rock fan. For some reason I love this show though. I think it's that I like seeing young people off the street come out and work their way through. Even though it's the same type of music, I count almost all the contestants as being much better than the Brittany Spears and NSYNCs of the world. Well that and Simon is hilarious when he's mean.
Old 03/02/2005, 04:57 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

Quote:
Originally posted by CrystalAZ
The one that surprised me most this week was Mikalah. I liked her voice with the song she picked.
I took my mind a couple of minutes to reconcile the fact that she was singing something that seemed so out of character. I can think of a lot of adjectives to describe Mikalah, but I never thought that "subdued" would be one of them. She still had that funny tone (kind of nasal), but I thought she pulled it off.
Old 03/02/2005, 05:05 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

Quote:
Originally posted by WifesaysImnuts
Well that and Simon is hilarious when he's mean.
He seems to be getting kind of predicable. How many times last night did he start out by saying "If I'm being completely honest" and then lower the boom? In his defense, there was not that much to get excited about last night
Old 03/02/2005, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

The judges really make no sense to me. They say the songs are safe and then when they try something different they get chastised for it.

Old 03/02/2005, 07:27 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

I don't know if it is safe for me to watch this year or not. I mean all the racial crap after the one Black girl (who got hosed) got knocked out with like five less talented people still there. Then they give it to someone who sounded like she should be doing cartoon voice overs instead of singing. I think 2 or 3 of the last 5 got contracts besides her. I felt like throwing something at the TV.
Old 03/02/2005, 08:07 PM
Xenia Philanthropist

Racial? ... but... the person who won was also African-American. How is that racial????

I think the show does a great job of mixing a diverse group of people (as diverse as you can get for pop singers anyway ).

Crystal
Old 03/02/2005, 08:34 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

I am not saying it was anything racial done by the show, it was some of the people who follow it and some political groups. I don't remember the girl's name, Janet maybe? She was booted and people started whining it was because she was the best singer and she was black. It was a joke because there were 2 blacks still in the competition at that point. I just don't want to get hooked again and have to listen to a bunch of crap if the final ends up all male or all white or something.

Also got to say you got one of the coolest avitars on the board. Been meaning to mention that before. Better late in an edit than never
Old 03/02/2005, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

Well it was pretty much what I thought it was gonna be tonight... Tears, and more tears... I really don't like the way that they dismiss these people from the show, could be done with a little bit more " niceness" if that makes any sense ... My farm girl stayed, and Selena and Aloha went home... Joe and David also left tonight... I am lost with this show the last week or so, it seems sooo different from last year... but I'll watch it til the end...

TheBimbo

panties...?

lace panties...?

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 03/02/2005, 10:32 PM
Premium Member

darn it thebimbo, I knew I shouldn't have read your post. I'm watching Tuesday's now.

Old 03/02/2005, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thrlride
darn it thebimbo, I knew I shouldn't have read your post. I'm watching Tuesday's now.

I'm sooo sorry, now I feel like, like, well like a Clay Boa!!! Seriously I'm really sorry, I had actually put in alot more than that but erased it b/c I didn't want to give tooo much away, but I must have left tooo much info in there... Sorryyyy, forgive me??? Maybe I can get you some cookies...

The Very Disappointing Bimbo

panties...?

lace panties...?

Old 03/02/2005, 10:47 PM
PARC Member & Reef Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by thebimbo
Maybe I can get you some cookies...
I watched it but still feel cheated--do I get cookies too?

The Nanny has got to go! I also can't believe the young girl (sorry can't remember her name) is still there. I thought she looked terrified the other night. I really only like Carrie of the women. Like most of the guys left. Tough season.
Old 03/02/2005, 11:06 PM
Xenia Philanthropist

Well, the guys didn't surprise me at all, but I was surprised that Aloha went home before a couple of the others... especially Lindsey. She is just bland.

Thanks, grim. I need to update the avatar... I have some better pics now.

Crystal
Old 03/02/2005, 11:07 PM
Premium Member

It's okay The Bimbo, I like Chocolate and sugar cookies.

Old 03/03/2005, 10:21 AM
Onizzle Rizzle

No big surprises last night. I did think Janay (nervous girl) got a reprieve. But I don't see her lasting much longer unless she picks it up.

Unless things turn around in the next week, I think that early rounds of the combined group is going to be bad news for the girls.
Old 03/08/2005, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

Well tonight was the ladies turn... I liked Carrie, Vonzell, Nadia, Lindsey, and Jessica!!! I think that tonight will be the last night for Mikalah... I did however miss the first 2 girls ... Soooo I am not sure how they did tonight... But I do honestly think that Mikalah (sp) will be leaving... Tomorrow will be the guys, and that will be a good one to watch!!!

TheBimbo

P.S. thrlride: Don't be mad at me if you opened this before you had the chance to watch it, you otta know me by now!!!

panties...?

lace panties...?

Old 03/08/2005, 10:09 PM
Premium Member

I watched a little of it tonight. Was it on last night?