Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/18/2005, 06:36 AM
Premium Member

Official 'American Idol' thread

Anyone watching it this year? Any predictions? I don't really have anyone I like yet. I seem to like the ones that are different like the rocker that quit his band for the audition. Don't remember his name though.

They really haven't changed the formula for the show at all and to me it shows. All the people that think they are so good and go on and on running their mouth really annoy me. That seems to get worse every year.

What does everyone else think?

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 02/18/2005, 07:56 AM
Registered Member

I think overall they've managed to find a better range of talent by upping the age limit. I've got a few of the guys i'm rooting for, but none of the girls really impressed me much. (Except for their excessive amounts of whining and crying) Good lord, if you can't make it through this phase without bursting into tears every 15 seconds how on earth are you going to handle a recording career?!Anywho...
Constantine (one of the rocker guys), the music teacher with the dreadlocks, and there is one other who's name I can't remember are the highest on my radar right now....

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 02/18/2005, 08:28 AM
Registered Member

I have been watching... I think that you are right on the money Emily2!!! My mom and I have been saying that they cry constantly, I mean I know that women are more emotional than men... ( except for BrianD ) But c'mon make it through without the waterworks for peats sake... Anyway I like these ones for right now, subject to change next week ...
I really think that Carrie is good for the girls, she's the blonde farm girl...
I also like these guys, Anwar, Constantine, and Anthony ( he reminds me of Clay Aiken ) But things happen so fast on this show, that you never know how they'll do from week to week, or just exactly what kind of mood Simon is in... So lets try to keep this thread going, like the one last season...

http://www.idolonfox.com/contestants/

TheBimbo

P.S. Thanks Thrlide for getting this going...

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...

Last edited by TheBimbo; 02/18/2005 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02/18/2005, 09:48 AM
Monkey

Ok at the risk of being laughed at - I watch the show with my wife and daughter. Observations:

That fat bald dude that looks slightly latino has the best voice out of the whole group by far.

The "other" rocker has a better voice than Constantine MUCH better. Fox is probably kicking themselves that they didn't do the back story on that guy.

That annoying Fran Drescher talk-a-like 16 year old with the big lips will make it far. She's annoying but a trip to watch..

That is all.
Old 02/18/2005, 10:04 AM
Moved In

I think the first rounds are the most entertaining. The ones that always go "My friends told me what a great singer I am" should find new friends. Can you imagine all your family and friends watching all the bad behavior on TV? That would be more embarrassing than the lousy singing.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 02/18/2005, 10:12 AM
Reef Central Sponsor

What gets me is that chick that hocked her wedding rings to make the trip to the initial auditions. What does that say...

"gee honey, I love you more than anything, and because I love you so mush I am going to take these rings that you gave to me that symbolized our never ending circle of love for each other, and sell them as scrap so I can do something where I have a one-in-a-million chance of winning."

hmmmm
Old 02/18/2005, 10:16 AM
Onizzle Rizzle

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamesurq
That annoying Fran Drescher talk-a-like 16 year old with the big lips will make it far. She's annoying but a trip to watch..
She will definitely carry the teenybopper-with-a-cell-phone vote regardless if she has enough talent or not.

Time will tell, but so far it seems like everybody has a good voice. I would say that any of these 24 would have been a top 10 in previous seasons. For better or worse, I predict that this season is going to be much more of beauty contest (looks, personality, stage presence) than previous seasons.

There are just to many really talented singers for me to pick a favorite yet. Maybe next week!
Old 02/18/2005, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

Vert20, I totally agree. I'm glad she didn't make it. "If I can't express myself through music and singing, I'll just die!"

I've seen bits and pieces this year, trying not to get too hooked. I watched the second season, and before I knew it, 8 months had gone by. I didn't realize it took that long. But Clay was SOOOOO worth it! I even went to the AI Concert when they toured. Eight rows from center stage, GREAT pics!

I'm not gonna waste life being hateful
~~~311~~~
Old 02/18/2005, 10:31 AM
Onizzle Rizzle

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarlett
Vert20, I totally agree. I'm glad she didn't make it. "If I can't express myself through music and singing, I'll just die!"
The one thing that annoys me about this show is all editing for forced drama. Last week when the wedding ring girl got sent home, they must have shown that same clip a half a dozen times.

However, a couple of weeks ago when they edited together the one contestant's version of events versus what really happened with the judges was pretty funny. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when that girl and her family and friends sat down to watch the episode!
Old 02/18/2005, 01:11 PM
Reefer

Jamesurq, I'm at you!
Old 02/18/2005, 01:16 PM
Monkey

It was a risk I was willing to accept.

Hi - I'm James. And shows like American Idol and Desperate Housewives are recorded on DVR in my house....

I'm so ashamed!
Old 02/18/2005, 01:17 PM
Premium Member

Mario all the way.
Old 02/18/2005, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

My early prediction for the final three is Constantine, that young kid with the last name of Federov and the the teenage Nanny. The other rocker guy can sing better than Constantine but he looks like he should be fronting up Cannibal Corpse, not American Idol.

My one complaint about this year is that Simon has toned it waaaay down. His sarcastic insults were a big part of what made the show so fun. Now he's nice. Blaaaah....
Old 02/18/2005, 04:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
It was a risk I was willing to accept.

Hi - I'm James. And shows like American Idol and Desperate Housewives are recorded on DVR in my house....

I'm so ashamed!
Yeah, at least you didn't start the thread!

I also like constantine, couldn't remember his name though. I also like Carrie.

I liked the heavy guy that got cut on Wendesday. He had an old timey sound to his voice. He was in the group that did horrible on group night.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 02/18/2005, 06:08 PM
Xenia Philanthropist

Yeh, the other rocker dude sings better than Constantine (from what we have seen), but he doesn't have the look. If you go read AI message boards, you'll see how many people love Constantine already. He is definitely getting into the top 12... from there, who knows.

The Anthony kid is cute too. I can see teenage girls liking him... and he sings well.

That fat guy can sing... but he is SO CREEPY LOOKING. I can't see him going on for that reason (as sad as that is).

Next week will be interesting because we will be able to tell more about their voices when they sing.

Crystal
Old 02/23/2005, 12:54 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

Any predictions on who is going home tonight? I have no idea. Some of the performances were kind of forgettable, but no one was really awful vocally. A couple of the contestants seemed a little scared (who wouldn't be) and looked like they did not now what to do with their arms.

The standouts for me this week were Carrie, Bo, and Nadia.
Old 02/23/2005, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

i can't remember anyone's name yet, except Bo-he did awesome. My question is, did NONE of these people watch last year? By the time you get here, it's down to one thing-song choice. All but i think maybe three people sucked in this dept. I think if I hear another ballad I'll scream. The only person who could pull off doing ballad after ballad was Clay. Been there done that, now let's pick something a little more upbeat people!!

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 02/23/2005, 02:05 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

Quote:
Originally posted by emilye2
i can't remember anyone's name yet, except Bo-he did awesome. My question is, did NONE of these people watch last year? By the time you get here, it's down to one thing-song choice. All but i think maybe three people sucked in this dept. I think if I hear another ballad I'll scream. The only person who could pull off doing ballad after ballad was Clay. Been there done that, now let's pick something a little more upbeat people!!
I cheated and looked them up (www.idolonfox.com). Carrie is the blond country girl and Nadia is the big hair girl.

I was thinking the same thing about the song selection. Many of these songs have been done so much, by so many different contestants, even if they do sing it great it comes off as tired. And considering that they had 3 weeks to prepare, you would think that they would have been able to come up with something more original.

Next week will be a better test. Less time to prepare, and (I'm guessing) a more limited song selection.
Old 02/23/2005, 03:15 PM
cubed

Quote:
Mikhala. OMG!!! I cannot STAND that kid. Don't even get me started.

Simon hit the nail on the head last night with his observations about her. "1/2 the audience will find her rather annoying." Wooo! Well said Simon.
Old 02/23/2005, 03:42 PM
Moderator Clone

Quote:
Originally posted by Sugar Magnolia
Mikhala. OMG!!! I cannot STAND that kid. Don't even get me started.

Simon hit the nail on the head last night with his observations about her. "1/2 the audience will find her rather annoying." Wooo! Well said Simon.
Does anyone else think she sounds like Barbara Streisand in Funny Girl or Hello Dolly? She was actually one of the worst singers last night, but I'm not sure whether she'll get the boot...she should stick to singing Barabara Streisand songs and she'd do fine

After the last two nights, I agree this crop is better vocally than past groups, but I also think the men sounded better overall than the women...which is also unusual...

And as afr as "creepy" goes (my nickname for him), yeah, he can sing, but I almost expect him to attack someone in the audience... he would be one of my first picks to leave, but he sings beter than some (Constantine among them).

Kevin
Old 02/23/2005, 03:49 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

Quote:
That annoying Fran Drescher talk-a-like 16 year old with the big lips
Yeah, thanks for that! Now every time that I see her I keep expecting her to break out with the annoying Drescher laugh!!

Speaking of Mikhala, I found her whole look last night a little annoying. The outfit made her look dumpy, and I hated her hair.

(I just re-read this, and it appears that I may be coming out of the closet)
Old 02/23/2005, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

I don't think that girl sings well at all! My husband think she's had her lips done, LOL. She drives me crazy.
Old 02/23/2005, 04:41 PM
Premium Member

I agree with Simon, Amanda Avila has a purty mouth.
Old 02/23/2005, 04:57 PM
Wet-fingered Reefer

What was that comment that Simon made about wanting to be one of the female singers microphone all about??
I think he regreted saying it as soon as it came out of his mouth.
Old 02/23/2005, 05:06 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

Quote:
Originally posted by glaudds
What was that comment that Simon made about wanting to be one of the female singers microphone all about??
I think he regretted saying it as soon as it came out of his mouth.
My wife and I looked at each other when he said that like "WTH?". Apparently, "little Simon" took over for a brief moment. It has always been apparent that Simon is more forgiving to the "Hot" girls, but that was a little blatant (and kind of creepy).