Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/02/2007, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

When's the Super Bowl?

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 12/02/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckeye ME
No one forced half the conferences to go to a championship game, they did it themselves as a money grab. CG's did not exist 15 years ago, and serve no purpose other than money.

The Big Ten has tried to complete the season before Thanksgiving for 80 years. No reason to change just because half (yes only half of the BCS conferences have championship games) of the conferences got greedy.
The Big 10 (err 11..) is the only BCS conference that does not have a championship game or play all of its opponents every year. The Pac-10 and Big East are small enough that they play everyone in their conference every year. The Big12, ACC & SEC developed the title game so that teams couldnt win the conference while dodging the best competition.(The extra revenue doesn't hurt either.) Sometimes the "best team on paper" doesn't end up in the title game but at least everyone can control their own destiny.
Old 12/02/2007, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

looks like the polls are starting to trickle out. Coaches has OSU, LSU, UGA, OU, then VT. Looks like OSU & LSU in the big game. Oh, well. Looks like VT will get KU or WV i the Orange Bowl.
Old 12/02/2007, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

Bring on VT.

PLEASE bring on VT
Old 12/02/2007, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

lookin like it's gonna be OSU-LSU.
Old 12/02/2007, 04:34 PM
I bleed orange and maroon

my top 5

1) OSU (by default)
2) LSU (nod over VT due to head to head...same way it works in conferences)
3) VT (2 losses, both to #2 teams....highest SOS in the top 5)
4) OU
5) USC

i honestly still think LSU is the best in the country, they are severely beaten up right now which is why other SEC teams are getting shots at them. give them a month to heal up, they will be back to their august/september form which was SCARY, OSU doesn't stand a chance.

bottom line, you gotta win your conference championship to be seriously considered. i remember when nebraska went into the national championship at the rose bowl vs. miami....and they didnt even win their division yet alone their conference........they didnt even BELONG on the same field as miami.

if you want to start nullifying conference champships to put UGA in....then whats the point? lets just go back to the bowl alliance instead of the BCS, and give Notre Dame a shot at the BCS every year regardless of how many losses they have...just b/c they are Notre Dame and are popular with the media.

in a +1 scenario......i honestly think it would boil down to the media rankings that are coming out today:

1) OSU (media darlings by default)
2) LSU
3) OU
4) USC

allot of teams would feel screwed in a +1 system (UGA, VT, Kansas, Mizzo, WVU)....therefore an 8 team playoff only sounds reasonable. if you go any higher than 8 teams....you are getting into teams that don't really stand a chance. in the 8 teams, take all the major conference champs (SEC, BIG12, BIG10, PAC10, ACC), then the other 3 are wild cards and will go to the human/media/computer rankings. this also leaves the door open for a mid-major cinderella...like Hawaii (i.e. George Mason in the final 4).

think about it, an 8 team playoff only consumes 2 weekends in December....then they can break for final exams and xmass.....and the top 2 can play a week after the other big time BCS bowl games. still gives plenty of time for the teams to prepare and fans to get plane flights and hotel rooms.

forget March Madness.......bring on December Delirium!

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!

Last edited by surfnvb7; 12/02/2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12/02/2007, 05:18 PM
The Incredible Mr. Limpet

That really sucks that Ohio State will probably back it's way in...they never played a team in the top twenty, almost every team they played was .500 or below.

They'll get their *ss kicked like last year.
Old 12/02/2007, 05:56 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Looks like USC/Georgia in the rose bowl. As far as I am concerned that is the national championship game. If georgia beats USC aint no doubt in my mind who was beast in the nation AND deserved a chance to prove it on the field.

The only reason I will even watch the other is I hope somehow OSU will beat Less Miles team by 50.
Old 12/02/2007, 06:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by D-Rod
That really sucks that Ohio State will probably back it's way in...they never played a team in the top twenty, almost every team they played was .500 or below.

They'll get their *ss kicked like last year.

Hmmm, gotta wonder where your information is coming from...

We played 12 games, 7 teams have winning records.

2 with 9 wins, 2 with 8 wins and 3 with 7 wins.
Old 12/02/2007, 06:19 PM

Hey, OSU did back into the game but at least they DESERVE to be there.

However, this crap about the long layoff IS BY CHOICE. The PAC 10 and Big East don't have championship games and they were playing this weekend. I don't want to hear the long layoff excuse because it is the Big Ten's decision to schedule it that way.
Old 12/02/2007, 06:27 PM
Here comes the Gators

It's really to bad for FLA. They got screwed out of a BCS game because only two teams per conference can get in a BCS bowl. GRRRR. If UGA does beat USC there is no doubt that UGA could argue their case for a split NC unless the game is really close. I have a feeling these BCS bowl games are going to raise hell!

And man, I can't believe the Rug is in England missing out on this thread! Just imagine how many "woofs" there would have been typed? LOL

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 12/02/2007, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
However, this crap about the long layoff IS BY CHOICE. The PAC 10 and Big East don't have championship games and they were playing this weekend. I don't want to hear the long layoff excuse because it is the Big Ten's decision to schedule it that way.

You know, I agree to a point.

But to say we should do it because you do is a little off.

Your playing football in sunny Caly. Were playing it in the mid west.

Citys like Ann Arbor, Madison, Iowa City, Minneapolis... They had lows in the low teens and some in single digits yesterday. Minneapolis airport got closed because of bad weather. Not exactly fan friendly for a football game. Especially if you cant fly home afterwards!

Maybe everyone should be on the same schedule, maybe not. But if so, whys it have to be on your schedule?
Old 12/02/2007, 06:50 PM
I bleed orange and maroon

they play in harsh conditions in the NFL.....in the northern states.....still great games are played, and lots of fans show up.....are you saying the BIG10 is a bunch of pansies?

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 12/02/2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Treg
You know, I agree to a point.

But to say we should do it because you do is a little off.

Your playing football in sunny Caly. Were playing it in the mid west.

Citys like Ann Arbor, Madison, Iowa City, Minneapolis... They had lows in the low teens and some in single digits yesterday. Minneapolis airport got closed because of bad weather. Not exactly fan friendly for a football game. Especially if you cant fly home afterwards!

Maybe everyone should be on the same schedule, maybe not. But if so, whys it have to be on your schedule?

Hello? You think it isn't cold in places like Nebraska, Colorado, Boston, Pullman Washington? The pro's play in Minnesota, Michigan and Buffalo in December.
Old 12/02/2007, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

Yeah! Thats what I said!

Idiot.

I was in Washington all last week, weather wasnt horrible. Hey Im not dissagreeing completly. But like I said, why would our schedule have to change to meet yours? Why cant we move up a week and you back a week? Why does the Pac 10 need TWO weekends off??

Its just easy to say do it when your not the one doing it.

Pros play more then 12 games a year...
Old 12/02/2007, 07:48 PM
Here comes the Gators

Honestly who cares if the schedule is off a week? It just gives the other teams playing an extra week more practice than the teams in the Big 10 that are sitting idle. Look what happened against OSU last year with FLA? I am not necessarily implying that Ohio State being off so long was the reason why they sucked so much against FLA but it probably was a factor. There are pros and cons for both arguments.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 12/02/2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Treg
Yeah! Thats what I said!

Idiot.

I was in Washington all last week, weather wasnt horrible. Hey Im not dissagreeing completly. But like I said, why would our schedule have to change to meet yours? Why cant we move up a week and you back a week? Why does the Pac 10 need TWO weekends off??

Its just easy to say do it when your not the one doing it.

Pros play more then 12 games a year...
Well lets see moron, It's you guys who are whining that you always have the big layoff while all the other conferences are still playing so lets see, do we make all those other conferences change their schedules to suite yours or make you change yours to march theirs? Better pull your head out, your obviously running low on oxygen
Old 12/02/2007, 08:00 PM
Here comes the Gators

About to announce who should should go...roll the drums!

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 12/02/2007, 08:01 PM

They will drag it out for at least a dozen more commercials
Old 12/02/2007, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

Who the Hell brought it up?? YOU did you A Hole.
Old 12/02/2007, 08:02 PM

Thats A+ hole to you dingus
Old 12/02/2007, 08:04 PM
Here comes the Gators

Herbstreits words" Toughest conference in the country"- SEC

BAHAHAHAHA

in your face you SEC haters

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 12/02/2007, 08:09 PM
Here comes the Gators

I love how they don't even mention playoffs. That's pathetic!

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 12/02/2007, 08:10 PM

BC against Hawaii maybe
Old 12/02/2007, 08:10 PM