Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Buyer/Seller Feedback

Old 03/02/2007, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

reefcrazed - do not buy from

I purchased a group of 6 sps form reefcrazed a few weeks back. I was told the package would be delivered priority overnight and would arrive by 10:30am. The package was recieved at 5:00pm even though it was shipped priority overnight. When I opened the package, everything was cold and had no color. I proceeded to hope for the best and acclimated the corals very slowly.
They never even came close to regaining color and where white the next day.

I contacted reefcrazed about this and he does not guarentee his corals at all during shippment. He said he would file a claim with fedex about the late shippment, but that never seemed to happen as he has tried to ignore my messages. I went on to file a claim and have to see where that goes.

I will never do business again with him unless things get resolved, especially after i spent $180 and have nothing to show for it. I would think any honest business man would atleast guarentee his shippment or make good on this situation.

DO NOT BUY FROM HIM.
Old 03/02/2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Hate to hear this for you. No hobbyists usually guarantees their frags in shipping. But looks like he could have offered to replace them if he could and offer you to pay shipping again. I think he file a claim to Fedex for the late shipping. JMO
Old 03/08/2007, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

"I would think any honest business man would at least guarentee his shippment or make good on this situation"
Did you know before hand that there was no guarantee? So was he a honest business man when you knew before hand that there was no guarantee but still wanted the order?

How is it his fault that the package arrived at 5pm?
He told you that it would be delivered by 10:30... Thats what Fedex says.. he does not bring it to your house so he has no control of when it gets there.
I think the best thing you should have said is explain the situation, then say he did not offer to help you out and you think he should have. Anytime you ship/received anything perishable dealing with corals there will always be a chance it will not survive.
It does not make him a bad business man if he does not replace the corals. It only makes him a great one if he does.

Last edited by sindacate; 03/08/2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03/08/2007, 10:01 PM
reef aquarium god

reefcrazed has sold TONS of sps packages on here and this is the first bad experience anyone has had...usually everyone raves about his frags. i would let him file a claim ( it will take awhile) and see what fedex does. i have been in your position and it does suck when fedex screws up, but this is out of reefcrazed hands..
Old 03/09/2007, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

you didn't mention if there was heat packs??
also, FEDEX is not responsible at all for livegoods! as far as I know. so, don't count on a refund from them.
Old 03/10/2007, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

I think you can get refund on the shipping cost since it was late. better than nothing.
Old 03/14/2007, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

I just received a $100 check from fed ex for the claim above. I will send Hammer294 this check tomorrow. This took forever, but I finally did recieve the check today. Hammer294 please pm me your address and I will send this to you, ok?
Old 03/20/2007, 03:51 PM
Free Thinker

That sounds like an honest buisness man to me! He could have just kept it. I had UPS take 2 months to settle my claim so it could have been worse

"Free thinkers are dangerous!"
Serj Tankian
Old 03/20/2007, 07:08 PM
RC Sponsor

Location: Fringes of the REEF and cultural desert Arkansas, USA
This will without a doubt generate anger directed at me but heres goes anyway...

"i have been in your position and it does suck when fedex screws up, but this is out of reefcrazed hands.."

When a client enters into an agreement to pay cash for frags it is absolutely the job of the seller to see to it that either that client gets those frags.... or he is refunded his cash... Reefcrazed has offered $100 to clear this up from the ins payment but the client Paid $180... The client deserves his $180 or the frags he was promised... Many vendors hide behind the facade that "I am not responsible for shipping errors" well who is? UPS and FedEX surely are not... The entire Internet reefing economy depends on sellers and buyers trust... $100 for $180 is not acceptable in any way... This loss is just an absorbed cost of Business that sellers must accept. Kudos for Reefcrazed for speaking up and stepping forward But set the man up his frags if they are available or pay the man what he is owed.
Old 03/21/2007, 07:51 AM
Lo?

Quote:
Originally posted by sabodish
reefcrazed has sold TONS of sps packages on here and this is the first bad experience anyone has had...
First that spoke up maybee... 2 local guys in our club ordered a bunch from him, and were absolutly not pleased at all. Maybee they will chime in since i sent them a link to this.

90 gal sps and mixed other. Tek 6x54 t-5's, DAS EX-1 skimmer, 2x 6045 nano streams.
Old 03/21/2007, 08:05 AM
Moved On

I went in with a buddy, we ordered $500 worth of SPS ... shipment arrived late in the afternoon, water was about as cold as it could be, few pieces were broken into many pieces, few were RTN'ing ... after 24 hours, we were down by 5 or 6 pieces.

Besides that - the pieces were NOT the size they were advertised to be ... ALL were smaller.

i know i won't be buying from reefcrazed anymore - and neither will my buddy who ordered from him.
Old 03/21/2007, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

But if someone buys stampage for a certain time arrival, shouldn't fedex be liable since it didn't get there at 10:30am.

I am taking no ones side, just wondering as I may want to ship corals in the near future.

Sam
Old 03/21/2007, 06:00 PM
Moved On

yes, if you ship an envelope/box & do it next day air, morning arrival & it shows up after the 10.30, or if you do an early morning arrival & it is delivered after 8.30am - then you call fedex/ups & request for you rmoney back.

it works ... i used to have to do it all the time, after about 10 refunds, packets quit showing up late ... and they haven't been late since.
Old 03/21/2007, 06:33 PM
Lo?

but that only covers shipping

90 gal sps and mixed other. Tek 6x54 t-5's, DAS EX-1 skimmer, 2x 6045 nano streams.
Old 03/21/2007, 06:54 PM
RC Sponsor

AND actually, niether UPS or fedex will insure LIVE animals... Basically, They give you back you shipping as long as it was not ever a "Weather Delay" even for 5min...
Old 03/21/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

Doctor64776-I applaud your response and believe that more sellers should show responsibility for the sale even after the package has left their hands. $100 refund for $180 is by no means fair. I have purchased quite a few corals online, and a 5:00pm arrival time is not a death sentence for corals. Proper packaging goes a long way to insure coral survival in transit. A styrofoam box (not taped styrofoam slabs), double+ bagging with a thick mil bag, and good heat packs would help guarantee live arrival. I can't tell you how many times I have seen hundreds of dollars in corals shipped with paper thin baggies, very little water to spare shipping expenses, and poor insulation/heat packs. I am not familiar with the specifics of this shipping transaction,but feel the buyer is entitled to a full refund or more frags. Doctor, I will buy from you in the future, you are an honest seller.
Old 03/21/2007, 06:57 PM
Moved On

correct.

Quote:
Originally posted by keinreis
but that only covers shipping
Old 03/27/2007, 11:44 AM
Free Thinker

Your saying that it's not the buyers fault that the shipment was late and he shouldnt have to pay for fed ex's mistake. Well, it's not the shippers fault either and if he were to refund the full ammount hes out the money and the frags. Either way, someone is out money. What makes the buyer anymore entitled to it than the seller? They both lost the same ammount buyer $80, seller $80 worth of coral. It's neither of there faults, and before ordering the buyer should have understood that things like this do happen quite often. If he was this concerned, he should have asked more questions like if the seller guarentees live arrival before buying the corals.

Serj Tankian
Old 03/27/2007, 11:50 AM
RC Sponsor

This is simple... Loss in Business is a calculated finance... whereas Loss when purchaseing is unacceptable... NO it is not the sellers/Shippers fault that UPS or FedEX screw up NO agreed... But when a client lays down $$$ for anything they expect to receive it period .
All of the Bull**** on Ebay and by sellers who do not own up to the resposibility of being a seller need to wake up. If you are going to make money selling you also will lose money in pleaseing your clients... BUT in the end they are loyal to you and they will return... LOSS is a part of BUSINESS it is taught in bookeeping and business classes as such. A quality vendor stands behind each item that he sells.
OK I am going to step off my Soap Box
Old 03/27/2007, 01:39 PM
Free Thinker

The problem is, these are hobbiests, not buisnesses. They are not vendors and loss of buisness is not a calculated finance for a hobiest selling frags. If you are going to look at him as a buisness, then you should ask for his policy before buying from him. You wouldnt buy from any othr buis on the internet without reading there policy/gaurentee so why would you buy from him without looking at his policy if you are looking at him as a buisness? Im done here.

Serj Tankian
Old 03/27/2007, 06:07 PM
RC Sponsor

Stoney... Firstly I didnt mean to sound aggressive at you sometimes my passions flow through my writing... anyway I agree these are hobbists... as AM I but everything that I write here is also true of my practices and also many other hobbists... heck have you seen the tread where all of the reefers were going to pitch in to cover another reefers loss? These "Hobbists" want to be treated fairly and they want what thier very hard earned monies have paid for.

They deserve it
Old 03/27/2007, 06:14 PM
Lo?

Quote:
Originally posted by doctor64776
Stoney... Firstly I didnt mean to sound aggressive at you sometimes my passions flow through my writing... anyway I agree these are hobbists... as AM I but everything that I write here is also true of my practices and also many other hobbists... heck have you seen the tread where all of the reefers were going to pitch in to cover another reefers loss? These "Hobbists" want to be treated fairly and they want what thier very hard earned monies have paid for.

They deserve it

Yes that thread made me glad to be around, and with people willing to step up for that guy showed alot about him, even though he was MIA everyone knew there had to be a real good reason. That was a great read for sure.

Old 03/29/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

I agree with stoney. since it is not a business that they should be equal in loss. i also believe that the buyers that buy online corals are taking a risk in the first place. just my opinion.
could i have a link to that tread about what you are talking about?
Old 03/29/2007, 04:39 PM
RC Sponsor

So Walmart what you are saying is that if you pay me for corals... and I am unable to deliver them to you live and healthy, then you are OK with me just blowing you off? Or even looking good by refunding a token portion of your hard earned cash?? LOL wow you are great man...
Old 03/29/2007, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

Ok thats not what i quite meant
your only looking from this from your perspective. what about reef do you expect him to give away "his hard earned money" too.

but i think you should compromise with you getting the 100$ and him sending 2 or 3 corals for what they are worth so you still get your 180 dollars worth.