Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2007, 04:27 AM
Registered Member

Superman Monti (branching) polyps shrinking

I got a superman Monti (branching type) about a a month or two ago. I was a tiny frag (3/4" which I dropped - dang it) so it is now two frags.

I have noticed that on both of them the polyps are just gradually getting smaller (or not extending as much). I moved one lower (and then both because the lower one seemed a little better) but they still don't look good. I tried to get a picture but they just are such poor quality you can't make anything out. The lack of extension is pretty general and across the board. MAybe a little more noticable at the base and tips ut that's a stretch to say that. It seems pretty global on both pieces. I thought I was exagerating it in my head but just came across a pic of when I first got it and it is definately losing poyps/extension.

The other odd thing is there is a Purple Branching Monti only inches away from one frag and it is thriving. I don't get it.

Mg a little low 1200, Ca 420, Alk 10.

Any thoughts? These guys like high light no? Most of the stuff in my tank looks real good. Several pices are coloring up as well. I will say my Orange w/green monti also has an area with poor extension (no tissue loss or anything) up high on the body. I notice a firefish hovers right by it and I think it's tail just keeps grazing it causing the polyp retraction in that small spot.

What would you do if it were your frag?
Old 12/12/2007, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

perplexing situation huh? Maybe the will be one of those "it just doesn't do well in my tank" corals......
Old 12/12/2007, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

I have had two of these do the same for me. Both are gone now, it just one of those corals that i can't seem to keep.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

IME, they don't like a lot of light. Mine started bleaching until I actually moved it to the very bottom of the tank, but even there the colors were very faded even though it was still growing decently.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

it could be alot of things... It might just take some time for it to like you tank. could be the flow it was getting befor as to what it is getting in your tank. Any change frags usually need to get used too and then the turn around real fast. I mean if it is not growing or starts to slowly seem to die then somthing could be wrong. I would just wait and see. I could also be then lighting it came from and then the lighting you have.
Old 12/13/2007, 03:34 AM
Registered Member

All the other frags I got at the same time are doing great. Growing and coloring up. This particular piece, and two frags of it at that in different locations within the tank are just not doing well. It doesn't like something but I just don't know what it is. I think I may put it in a lower light area and just see what happens.