Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2004, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

Question Fish List Questions

Since I am in the process of stocking a 72 gallon aquarium, I just wanted to make sure everything will get along and that i will add them in the right order. I was planning to add the following fish in the following order (first to last):

Pair of Carpenter's Flasher Wrasses (P. carpenteri)
Pair of Longfin Fairy Wrasses (C. rubriventralis)
Pair of Bartlett's Anthias ( P. bartlettorum)
One Whitecheeck Surgeonfish ( A. nigricans)

I am still debating whether or not to get the Surgeonfish.
Any critisicm would be appreciated (I am sure that the fish would appreciate it too lol).

Thanks in advance!
Old 12/26/2004, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

Not so sure on the surgeonfish, but all of the other fish should get along perfectly fine. Fairly lightly stocked, have you considered maybe a few more fish like a C. Argi or some type of basslet?
Old 12/26/2004, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

You may run into trouble with the fairy and flasher wrasses . Im not 100% sure but i think you may have problems between the males of each pair. Typically the males dont get along with other males. I would chose either the fairy or flasher and keep one male to several females. By doing that i dont think you'll have a problem.
Old 12/27/2004, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

You also might want to consider leaving the surgeon out (for bioload reasons only) and getting a large group of flashers. They live in harems in the wild, and that is the best way to get them to "flash." You might have some problem between the flasher and fairy wrasses, but it shouldn't be bad if you add the fairy wrasses last. There is an excellent article about fairy wrasses in the archives of Reefkeeping that might help you decide.
Old 12/27/2004, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

thanks everyone for your input.

i will leave out the surgeon, but now back to the wrasses... has anyone read the article in an older AFM (Aquarium Fish Magazine) issue wgere it says that flasher and fairy wrasses may school together on a reef? Does anyone know what type of fairy wrasse the carpenter's flasher wrasses may school with, or what do you think would be the best choice of fairy wrasse to go with them.

I am sort of worried that the longfin fairy wrasses look to much like the carpenter's , but i am also worried that a scott's fairy wrasse (australian) may be too big and aggressive. Do y'all think that i should just stick with a school of flasher wrasses? If so, what would be a good number?

Does this list look better:

- 1 blue assessor
- 4 carpenter's flasher wrasses
- 3 bartlett's anthias

Does anyone have a different idea of a fish list with carpenter's flasher wrasses - suggestions are welcome

Again, thank you for your help
Old 12/28/2004, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

bump