Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 09/12/2005, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

where can I see reef safe fish?

I dont have any books unfortunatly.

for sites such as http://www.marinedepotlive.com/fish.html which of those genres are reef safe? specificly how do tangs measure up? triggers? I thought I read triggers were not reef safe.
Old 09/12/2005, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

You are asking a fairly vague question, which has a more detailed answer than just, "these fish are reef safe, these are not." There are many variables. Some fish will not bother sessile invertebrates but will eat shrimp, crabs, snails, etc. Some will only bother soft corals, some only LPS, etc.
There are a lot of fish on the reef, and they each do different things. Even those fish families that are generally reef safe have some oddball members, and vice-versa.

Liveaquaria.com usually does a good job of stating reef compatibility, all you have to do is click on a particular species and they provide general stats on each fish. For the most part, I believe their information is accurate (at least in terms of reef compatibility).

As for the fish you mentioned, tangs are pretty much reef safe, except for a few weirdos here and there (different people have different opinions, some people claim their tangs bother their corals, some say they never do). The opposite can be said of the triggers, there may be a couple reef safe ones, but even then its probably a gamble.

And in general, the smaller fish are typically going to be reef safe: Gobies, Damselfish (Clowns), Blennies, Dragonets (mandarins), Wormfish/Dartfish (like the Firefish), Basslets, Dottybacks, Anthias, Jawfish, Sea Horses/Pipefish (need to be housed in species tanks), and many of the smaller wrasses.

Of course, their are plenty of other reef safe fish, you just have to research it.
Old 09/12/2005, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the info; yeah I figured it wouldnt be a rule(nothing ever is ) I spend 4 years kind of hating my FW tank because of my initial noob fish choice. I could never plant it because I had a tank full of herbivores.

my goal is to plan alot more ahead this time; generally I want a very broad spectrum kind of tank. a focus on fish and coral. limited on both sides as little as possible. of course most of the limiting is on the fish limiting coral side; so thats what Im really looking at. Im not sure what coral I want yet; but Id prefer if I didnt have to worry about this or that fish maybe being ok with this or that coral.
Old 09/13/2005, 11:05 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

Get Scott Michaels Pocket Guide To Marine Fish. It tells why some fish are reef save, some are not. It is a great guide for anyone buying saltwater fish.

http://www.championlighting.com/prod...cat=351&page=3