Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/17/2005, 06:44 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Need help NOW! Sprayed by skunk

Yes as the title says I need help NOW! When me and Harley were out on our morning walk as we were comeing back and came around a corner of a building a skunk was walking down the road and I couldn't get Harley called off fast enough (well at all). And of course I got in the mix, and the skunk deffinatly sprayed though I haven't determined yet which one of us or both. So I need ways to get this smell out! I know you guys have tricks out there I NEED THEM REALLY BAD!

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 07/17/2005, 06:52 AM
Premium Member

for the dog dish soap works well tomato juice will help also

for you use the tomato juice and a good long hot shower with zest or somthing similar
Old 07/17/2005, 06:54 AM
Registered Member

http://www.animalforum.com/gskunk.htm
Old 07/17/2005, 06:59 AM
Moved On

Morning stinky, lol, they say that tomatoe juice gets rid of the smell, but send someone else to the store for it ok!

Good luck
Old 07/17/2005, 07:04 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Thanks for the sugestions so far! The parents are going to town this morning anyway so they're going to pick up whatever I tell them.

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 07/17/2005, 07:07 AM
Monkeys Rule once more

Quote:
Originally posted by dinoman
Thanks for the sugestions so far! The parents are going to town this morning anyway so they're going to pick up whatever I tell them.

Mornin smelly, I wonder if Dr Joey will be able to smell ya when he cruises past
Old 07/17/2005, 07:13 AM
Monkeys Rule once more

C'mon Cody, admit it, they are so cute

J/K, you have my sympathy, sounds like you and Harley will be spending some quality time together today
Old 07/17/2005, 07:14 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Well the parents are getting ready to leave now, I gave them the ingredients off the website masson posted.

Old 07/17/2005, 07:24 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

BTW, it seems that most of it is on Harley, the parents say they can still smell it a little bit on me, but that might just be from touching Harley. So I'm not real bad...but Harley he smells. Its not as bad as it could be but he's definatly NOT an inside dog at the moment. I have him out on our screened in porch, don't have to smell him too much but he's still locked up. That way if mr. skunk decides to show up for round two...

Old 07/17/2005, 07:59 AM
Registered Member

okay, the tomato will take out some (his white will be pink for a bit) but Natures miracle makes a skunk odor remover works great! Also I've heard the recipies above work well but you need to mix them up just before you use it. Like while harley's in the tub. the fresher the better. We used the NM stuff at the hospitals and it was like night and day for dogs. (yes, good morning emily welcome to work. you have one dog sprayed by a skunk waiting for a bath and a hyper lab who messed in his cage and danced in it all night long. Have fun!! -And yet, I still loved my job!)
Good luck and I'm so sorry! (make sure harley's eyes are okay and he didn't get stuff i them as well!)

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 07/17/2005, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

Well I hope that you are able to get rid of the smell, that's gotta be the worst thing ever... Yeah they're the cutest little critter's but nah, I'll pass ... Let us know if that "recipe" works, then we'll all have it incase it happens to one of us , who knows maybe Mike will go out and get skunked and then try it out

TheBimbo

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 07/17/2005, 08:07 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

I was waiting for you to get on. His eyes seem to be ok, so I'm not quite sure where he got sprayed. If the recipe on that other site doesn't get it all out I'll try and find the NM stuff. I don't remember where we got the other NM stuff (for taking odor out after they mess). Might have got it at the vet, if so I'll have to wait 'till tommorow to pick some up because they're closed on the weekends.

Old 07/17/2005, 08:10 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by thebimbo
Well I hope that you are able to get rid of the smell, that's gotta be the worst thing ever... Yeah they're the cutest little critter's but nah, I'll pass ... Let us know if that "recipe" works, then we'll all have it incase it happens to one of us , who knows maybe Mike will go out and get skunked and then try it out

TheBimbo
I'm sure I can find one to skunk him with. He's probably still pretty fired up too. I'm not too unsure this isn't the same one that got in the house a while ago!

Old 07/17/2005, 08:24 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Here's a pic of Mr. Stinky about 5min ago.

Now Harley have you learned anything from this?

Old 07/17/2005, 08:36 AM
m0delgator

Quote:
Originally posted by thebimbo
Yeah they're the cutest little critter's
If you get them while they're young and remove the scent glands, they actually make halfway decent pets!
Old 07/17/2005, 08:37 AM
Monkeys Rule once more

Look at the pic I posted, I hope you haven't upset Debi, looks like it has her cookies in that bowl
Old 07/17/2005, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

Just a warning--if you ask "doggy people" the general concensus is that once a dog is sprayed by a skunk they will go back again and again. No one can figure out why, maybe they are just determined to figure out what it is? The same for porcupines which confuses me. In the vet's we would see the same dogs come in 3-4 times a year for quills. Unbelievable! So, stock up!!

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 07/17/2005, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

Dino,

Our GSD was sprayed by a skunk last summer, and my husband IMMEDIATELY shampooed her with dish soap, and I swear it took all the stink out. He said it was imperative that we wash her immediately so the skunk scent oil did not penetrate her hair follicles, which is why the smell stays on them.

So next time (which I hope you don't have), try washing Harley immediately with dish soap and hopefully that will be enough.

Good luck!!!

Cheryl
Old 07/17/2005, 09:37 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Well I washed him, got most of it out. You can at least stand to be around him. There is still some on the top of his nose (I could smell it), but I don't think I want to put that mix on there because I'm worried it might bother his eyes. I rubbed some dish/hand soap on there and kinda wiped it off with a wet rag but I don't think it did much good.

Hopefully he wont try it again, I gave him a pretty big scare. When I separated them I literally picked Harley up by the skin on his neck and threw him the other way. Might not be nice but it wasn't time for nice .

Old 07/17/2005, 11:51 AM
Monkeys Rule once more

So, how are the stinky twins getting on, have the parents put you outside withHarley
Old 07/17/2005, 12:02 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

I'm stink free! Harley...he's almost stink free. Still catch a wiff once and a while, but he's allowed inside again. I thought about being evil and having Harley crawl up in my brothers bed after he got sprayed, and yes he likes to lay right next (or on ) his head .

Old 07/17/2005, 12:04 PM
Monkeys Rule once more

Quote:
Originally posted by dinoman
I'm stink free! Harley...he's almost stink free. Still catch a wiff once and a while, but he's allowed inside again. I thought about being evil and having Harley crawl up in my brothers bed after he got sprayed, and yes he likes to lay right next (or on ) his head .

Thats evil

would have been funny with pics
Old 07/17/2005, 06:07 PM
Underevolved Mermaid

Oh lord... Harley Harley Harley... will he never learn? Will Monster even go near him now?
Old 07/17/2005, 08:33 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by Pandora
Oh lord... Harley Harley Harley... will he never learn? Will Monster even go near him now?
Aren't animals weird? Both of the cats could have cared less that he was stinky.

Old 07/17/2005, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

Hey Dinoman, everything all stink free now??? That would really bite to be skunked... The neighbor down the street had 5 babies under their shed, the momma left them and they were sooo adorable... They finally left, atleast he thinks they did ... I will ask him when I see him...

TheBimbo

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...