Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/16/2005, 12:07 PM
Sponsor

"Please Pray" thread - removed

Yesterday, I almost wanted to pay for the trip and was wondering what would be best...she informing from her end what the costs might be or I checking from here what the costs might be.

Normally I would not say the above in public but might be relevant to tell it now because we had to pull her threads (a few were pulled earlier today and very likely only seen by a few).

Besides that we banned the users that posted them due to overwhelming evidence that a hoax was being committed.

We ask you all to not allow situations like this to effect your feelings toward those that are in genuine need. I also ask you to take the time to focus on those in need and do whatever your personal situation permits. There are plenty of constructive ways to help those in need.

Thank you for your understanding and for all the heartfelt concern that was expressed. It shows just how great a community this is, and we hope that never changes!

Proud owner of the very rare YET (Yellow Elephantis Tang) from the Lord Bibah Islands.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 07/16/2005, 12:16 PM
Moved In

Thank you for telling us. I guess I feel better being taken in than being heartless. Unfortunately this kind of thing does really happen. Thanks to the mods, staff for watching our backs.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 07/16/2005, 12:22 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Wait, I been away for a few hours...the girl who said her future husband was nearly killed in Iraq is all a hoax? Just trying to get the story straight...

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 07/16/2005, 12:27 PM
Moved In

That about sums it up. Very cruel.

Old 07/16/2005, 12:32 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
That about sums it up. Very cruel.
Indeed...guess shes probably not joining the army either.

On a positive note, it was good to see the support the lounge gave out.

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 07/16/2005, 12:36 PM
Moved In

I figured the other threads would be pulled for other reasons, but I felt so bad for her. Thankfully I won't be jaded, hopefully others won't either.

Old 07/16/2005, 12:42 PM
Reefer

Wow, I was completely fooled. I didn't post because I had no words to express my sorry. But I was about to offer a spare guest room since I'm so close to DC.
Old 07/16/2005, 12:43 PM
Monkeys Rule once more

I dont know how you did it Habib, but thanks for the investigstion on it.
I had a bad feeling about it when the poster kept going back to money when other options where offered. Good Job
Old 07/16/2005, 12:45 PM
Monkeys Rule once more

Quote:
Originally posted by pnosko
Wow, I was completely fooled. I didn't post because I had no words to express my sorry. But I was about to offer a spare guest room since I'm so close to DC.

Too darned clever these people
Old 07/16/2005, 12:57 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by mike4271
Too darned clever these people
"She" was clever, blended into the lounge first then tried "her" trick, instead of just jumping right to the trick first.

Old 07/16/2005, 12:59 PM
cubed

Wow. Just wow. And to think of all those who really HAVE been injured and are in need.

Thanks for the heads up Habib.
Old 07/16/2005, 01:06 PM
Monkeys Rule once more

I REALLY wish his/her name and location could be posted. I would make damned sure it got to at least the local papers, but I suppose that can't happen
Old 07/16/2005, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

me too mike, i had a sneaking suspicion it was all a hoax. put yourself in that situation. would you spend even ONE SECOND on the computer??? not me, i'd be figuring out a way to get there NOW.

the first time i read the post, i thought to myself oh boy, what a way to try to con people out of money!!

on the off chance that it was genuine, i posted a couple of times just to give support but i did it thinking it really wasn't for real.

i don't know how you did it habib but thank you for it. i find it loathesome that a person would use such tactics when our men and women are being killed over there almost daily. how heartless can you be!
Old 07/16/2005, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ninapearl
me too mike, i had a sneaking suspicion it was all a hoax. put yourself in that situation. would you spend even ONE SECOND on the computer??? not me, i'd be figuring out a way to get there NOW.
Right! I did a search for all post by this user and I thought it was odd that this person was upset for paying $5 for a coral on Thursday night:

Quote:
Originally posted by LynusAnn
i think i feel taken now...i paid $5 for that thing...chalk it up to not knowing i guess
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...85#post5316585
Old 07/16/2005, 01:12 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Now the real question, did "he/she/it/they" get anything from anybody? Hope not...

Old 07/16/2005, 01:15 PM
Moved In

I hope they haven't pulled this on other boards also. People do strange things in time of stress, so you can't always tell by the way they behave.

Old 07/16/2005, 01:19 PM
Monkeys Rule once more

MMMMMM Her Yahoo name is still in her profile, not that that would help in finding out who she is, that of course would be wrong
Old 07/16/2005, 01:21 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
I hope they haven't pulled this on other boards also.
I just did a google search with the username and it appears they "she" is all over the place. Don't know if "she" has tried this on other boards, but it does appear she is on other ones though.

Edit: Well "she" is trying this on other boards. I found another one with the exact same post (she even has a link to "her" thread here in "her" sig.). I don't know if it would be ok to post the name of the board so I'm not going to...

Old 07/16/2005, 01:28 PM
Sponsor

Today around 6 am EST I hang close to 30 minutes on the phone calling that hospital in Germany.

When they asked if I'm family or a friend I fully explained the reason why I was calling.

They confirmed that there is person with that name and they asked if I wanted to talk to him. I said no because I might add more to his trauma if he has a trauma.

LynusAnn herself supplied the evidence of a hoax and she was contacted about it by a mod. From the answer we got it was clear that we had to move her on and another name too and pull the threads.

Proud owner of the very rare YET (Yellow Elephantis Tang) from the Lord Bibah Islands.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 07/16/2005, 01:32 PM
Sorry, I'm not Jeremy

I gave her my prayers but when the so called 'friend' made a thread to collect donations, I got suspicious...on her thread where she claimed to be joining the Armed forces, did she mention a fiance' in Iraq ? I don't remember
Old 07/16/2005, 01:35 PM
Monkeys Rule once more

Quote:
Originally posted by dinoman
I just did a google search with the username and it appears they "she" is all over the place. Don't know if "she" has tried this on other boards, but it does appear she is on other ones though.

Edit: Well "she" is trying this on other boards. I found another one with the exact same post (she even has a link to "her" thread here in "her" sig.). I don't know if it would be ok to post the name of the board so I'm not going to...
Give it to a Mod, they can make the decision
Old 07/16/2005, 01:46 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by mike4271
Give it to a Mod, they can make the decision
Good idea, I found yet another thread by "her" on another board and she has been talking about being banned here on RC. She even suggested to call Landstuhl (place in German I guess) which as our Habib has said was what he did .

Old 07/16/2005, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Well, it stinks that we were all suckered by her lies, but the generocity and support that emminated from the lounge lizards was overwhelming and heartening.

So, despite one bad apple, you guys did reaffirm my belief in the basic good of human beings. Thanks for that.
Go Loungers!!!!!

Cheryl
Old 07/16/2005, 01:55 PM
Monkeys Rule once more

Quote:
Originally posted by clavery
Well, it stinks that we were all suckered by her lies, but the generocity and support that emminated from the lounge lizards was overwhelming and heartening.

So, despite one bad apple, you guys did reaffirm my belief in the basic good of human beings. Thanks for that.
Go Loungers!!!!!

Cheryl

Some are human, most prehensile, but all have hearts
Old 07/16/2005, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

habib, did the person who started the thread have any connection to the guy in the hospital in germany??