Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/04/2005, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Fuji Finepix S5100

been looking at this camera. anyone have any opinons about it? what about the xD card it uses. havent heard too much about this card. are they common?
Old 05/04/2005, 04:46 PM
Soul of a Sailor

I use one and I love it, but it's not very good for macros. The right lenses would probably help that though. I also wish there was a underwater housing for it. Other than that I have no complaints. It takes great pictures once you learn how to use it right.

You will definitely want to upgrade the memory card that comes with it. Unfortunately xD cards are about the most expensive cards out there.
Old 05/04/2005, 08:34 PM
Eternally Discombobulated

If you can afford to, and though the S5100 is a very nice camera, I might suggest looking at the S7000 instead. 0.4" minimal focus distance and some better all around features. I've been looking at the S5100 myself for a "smaller" camera but still with most of the features from a DSLR...ultimately came to the conclusion that I would be better off looking towards (and saving towards) the S7000.

What kind of price range are you working with?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05/04/2005, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

well the s5100 is pretty much toping off my original limit. thats on ebay at around 350$ brand new, after shipping and with accessories. but the more i look at something the more my limit goes up. but still 350 for now.

how much is s7000. if it is better at macro, then it would save me from having to buy a diff lens for the 5100. which could even out the price.

but the 5100 is still nice?
Old 05/05/2005, 06:14 AM

Well, you don't necessarily buy new "lenses" per se, more so lens accessories/attachments.

The S5100 is a nice 4mp camera especially considering the 10x optical zoom before needing the digital zoom (I've always considered better/longer optical zoom to be much better than digital zoom). As I mentioned, I was looking at it for a good all around camera for when I didn't want to haul around my DSLR. My problem was that I couldn't do everything that I wanted to do with the S5100 so I had to look to the S7000.

As to the specs and the price ($490) of the S7000, check out this link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=299963&is=REG

I really like buying from B&H for my camera needs. www.bhphotovideo.com Very good prices, fast delivery, and great selection. Oh, and incidentally, you can get the S5100 from the same website for $234.95 (before shipping and including a limited time $50 rebate). Don't know what the E-bay listing is offering, but I'm willing to bet this is a better price.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

Last edited by VoidRaven; 05/05/2005 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05/05/2005, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I have a couple of questions about the add-on lenses/filters for the s7000. Does anyone recommend a particular brand? I have seen these bundles on ebay but fear poor quality. I'm not looking to spend the $175 for a fuji lense, can someone recommend budget lenses/filters that are not junk.

Nathan
Old 05/05/2005, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

oops, double post

Nathan
Old 05/05/2005, 05:15 PM
The FM UL Sys. guy

Are the photo shots from the S5100 to the S7000 noticibly better?
I too have the S5100 and I could never get the hang of getting great pictures.

Is on the road to recovery! Everything looks nice though ;)
Old 05/05/2005, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

20 cents cheaper at B&H then ebay. but the guy on ebay sells his with a camera bag, small tripod and lens cleaning kit. he also has lower feedback and all the negative feedback says he asks for your phone # and tries to sell you mnore on phone. all the extras looked cheap and lame so iam going with B&H. thanks for the info.
Old 05/06/2005, 06:29 AM

No problem! Good luck! I've always been extremely happy with the service and extremely quick shipping that B&H offers. Their customer service is great and, like I mentioned, so is their selection. The nice part is how they give every tiny detail you could want about the camera under the Features and Specs section under each model. I like to use them in conjunction with www.dpreview.com to make a camera selection.

Enjoy the new camera, whatever model you end up purchasing!

Old 05/06/2005, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

S5100 is GREAT!!!

I have one. Bought it back in October 04'. Had been waiting for it all summer. The S5500 and the S5100 are the same camera. One is for the EU and the other is for the USA. Great all around camera, excellent 10x opitcal zoom.

If you want macro close ups with this camera. Just buy the Quantaray close couple set. (~$20). These are close couple 55mm lenses you attached on the front when you want to take close ups of say.....your fish.
Old 05/12/2005, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

finally got it. it took a week not too long but it didnt even get shipped till monday after i ordered it thr. so i think it could have been quicker.

i cant get the picture viewer software to show any of my pics. i plug the camera into the cpu and it makes the noise that it sees it. and then nothing. i read that it should automatically open with all your pics, but that dosent happen. i opened the software manually and there were no pics and no "aqcuire" button?

anybody have any ideas?
Old 05/12/2005, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

the tv viewer works
Old 05/12/2005, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

ok, got it figured out. here are some pics of my first try. i like this camera.

Old 05/13/2005, 12:29 PM

Glad to see that you are pleased with the purchase! I was actually out looking at cameras over the weekend and found out that the S7000 is discontinued, being replaced by the S20. So I started looking at the S5100 again. Those are some nice shots you got...how does it do for "everyday" shots (non-reef)?