Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography

Old 05/11/2005, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Confusion with Macro focus range

Hello all,

I am pretty confused when it comes to understanding the pros and cons of the macro modes on certain cameras. I originally thought that the higher the optical zoom the better at taking macros, and I was just wondering what I should be looking at to determine which camera can take better macros. I was looking at various cameras on www.dpreview.com and it lists the "macro focus range". One camera I was looking at, had a 6x optical zoom, and a macro focus range of 10cm, the other had a 3x optical zoom, and a 4cm focus range. I was wondering how I could distinguish between the better macro mode and what other things i should be looking for before buying. A good macro mode is something I want, so I am just trying to clear things up.

Thanx and help is appreciated
Old 05/11/2005, 08:15 PM
The FM UL Sys. guy

I believe that the lower the focus range is, the better macro shots the camera will take, but at the 3x Optical zoom.

Is on the road to recovery! Everything looks nice though ;)
Old 05/11/2005, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

Macro is a function of focus, not of zoom range. Well... maybe it's a combo of both. But generally speaking, the only difference zoom makes is how close you have to get to the subject to be at the max macro focus. On my DSLR, I have two macro zoom lenses. One has 1:2 macro at 80mm, the other 1:2 at 300mm. Both can only focus to a 1:2 ratio (meaning a 2 cm object will be 1cm on the image sensor) but the 80mm I can get right up there at a few inches away, and the 300mm is like 4 feet about. With both the object should be captured the same size on the image sensor... if that makes any sense.
Old 05/11/2005, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

When it comes to digicams, unfortunately, they make it even more confusing- they make you pull the lens onto the wide end for "macro" mode, so they can list a tiny number like 5mm or something- but at, say, 60mm.

Marketing wins, common sense loses. It's really tough to tell IMO without seeing sample shots at max. macro

(DSLR lenses excluded of course)
Old 05/12/2005, 02:47 AM
Registered Member

yea, thats a good point I wasn't thinking about either... I never have quite understood digicams. I left my D70 at home by mistake on mother's day, and tried using my father's digi. That thing had more modes and menu options than I had time to deal with. But thats the trade off for a small, lightweight camera that does it all for you. You have to go through a dozen menu options to tell it how you want it to take the photo.