Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/11/2007, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

new zoas dying

I recently bought new zoa/palys and all are doing ok except two frags.

On one of the frags all but two of the polyps did not extend and I think died. Today I found something had ate all of the dead polyps leaving only the two. I feed vary sparcely and I am not surprised that something that died in the tank got consumed. The remaining polyps are not extending now and I believe nuisance algae is also effecting thier extension.

Another of the frags is not extending fully and is being affected by nuisance algae.

I cleaned both frags using an old tooth brush and moved them down further in the tank so they are not being blasted by light.

My question is this. Can I do anything to save these frags or are they on the road to zoa heaven.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

bump
Old 12/12/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Light (just wondering =\)
Old 12/12/2007, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

How long have you had them in your tank? Did you dip and quarantine before adding them?
Old 12/12/2007, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

I have T5 lights....and no dip no quarantine....there small plugs of 4-7 polyps.

They were delivered to a friend and he put them in his tank. I picked them up from him later that evening and they looked good. Got them home acclimated them and put them in. First night till the lights went out they looked good. Its been down hill since.
Old 12/12/2007, 03:56 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

Iodine dip....

" Charles V "
Old 12/12/2007, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

will regular iodine supp work....or should I dilute it?
Old 12/12/2007, 11:21 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

I prefer to dip them sepparately in a bowl or bucket.. too much idodine in the tank is not good....

" Charles V "
Old 12/13/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

I'm having a similar problem w/ some new zoas in my nano. can you elaborate on the iodine dip? how much iodine to use- the concentrated?
thanks
Old 12/13/2007, 05:43 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

Cant remember, I personally make the water look like a tea color type water with the dip. and only leave them there for 5mins max.
But the lugols solution it self has a dip instruction in the back, IMO that too small a concentration especially with all the pest that CAN inhabit or hitchhike on a zoo colony. I use Tropical Marine Coral Cure, I believe its currently the best coral dip out there...

" Charles V "
Old 12/13/2007, 05:52 PM
Unregistered Member

buy some Tincture Iodine at your local drugstore, it will run about $1 for the same size as Lugols. I use 10-25 drops per gl depending on the problem-and that is in the dip NOT the tank!. good luck
Old 12/13/2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by geoxman
buy some Tincture Iodine at your local drugstore, it will run about $1 for the same size as Lugols. I use 10-25 drops per gl depending on the problem-and that is in the dip NOT the tank!. good luck
Its pretty much the same as lugols?? the tincture iodine?? When you dip, do you use fresh or saltwater?

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!
Old 12/13/2007, 09:05 PM
Unregistered Member

both and it depends on the problem and yes it is pretty much the same. I have used it for years. good luck
Old 12/14/2007, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

so when you dip you get some fresh r/o di, heat up to same temp, couple drops of iodine. Then dip...Then repeat with saltwater/iodine???

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!
Old 12/14/2007, 09:42 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

make sure its same pH as the tank as well.

" Charles V "
Old 12/14/2007, 03:50 PM
Unregistered Member

I use tap for dips not RO. My tap is high enough in PH and chlorine never hurt anything except pests. good luck