Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

What CA Reactor for a smaller tank?

I have a 60g Cube, I could be wrong about a few things so I thought I would ask.

1. Do I even need one? My tank will be basically 95% SPS. My CA levels were 400-450 as of last week. I do bi-weekly water changes about 10% or 5g. Please advise if more is in order.

I was looking at the Korallin 1502, but it seems this may be too much for my tank? I have also looked at the KNOP.

Do you think I should hold off on the reactor until I see a drop in Ca? Or possibly just use a 2 part?

Let me know what the best solution is. Thanks.

-Marc

The Red House = My Tank Thread

Livestock: A. Ocellaris Mated Pair, Six Line Wrasse, Lemonpeel Angel, Fiji Golden Sailfin Blenny, Purple Firefish Mated Pair.
Old 01/02/2008, 06:45 PM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

Geo 612 or Schuran Pico
Old 01/02/2008, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, I will look into them both.

Livestock: A. Ocellaris Mated Pair, Six Line Wrasse, Lemonpeel Angel, Fiji Golden Sailfin Blenny, Purple Firefish Mated Pair.
Old 01/02/2008, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

I would just use 2-part for a bit and see how much your using and if its a pain for you to dose like it is for most people. I had a Koralin C1502 reactor and have also done 2-parts for years. For a small tank like I have now (30 cube) 2 parts are cheap and I don't mind dosing them.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:45 PM
TANK RAIDER!

For that size tank perhaps the minical..
Old 01/02/2008, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

MRC nano. High quality, good price, very efficient. They have good deals on complete setups.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

B-Ionic or Warner Marine? I will check out the MRC. Thanks for the info so far!

Old 01/02/2008, 11:17 PM
Premium Member

take a look at the knop, a bit pricy for the size but work great and if you get a bigger tank, you can adjust the drip rate and bubble rate, you will just need to fill the media more often. I had one for years and liked it very much on a 100 gallon tank, this time I have decided to run 2 part, IMO, for tanks under 150, 2part just makes more sence
Old 01/02/2008, 11:37 PM
Premium Member

I use a schuran pico on my 28 gallon tank. I only have 9-10 bubbles per minute, and the effluent at a steady drip rate. I am running 9dkh for alk and 390 on calcium steady. I give mine the thumbs up.....
Old 01/03/2008, 02:52 AM
Registered Member

i would do 2 part on small tank, or even just a kalk reactor with kalkwasser would be enough.
Old 01/03/2008, 04:16 AM
I <3 Fish.

I'm also debating between getting a CA Reactor or going with a two-part for my 40g. The MRC nano seems like a really decent price.
Old 01/03/2008, 06:52 AM
TANK RAIDER!

mrinetechnichal- mini cal IMHO is the only way to go.

if GEO had a smaller model the minical would be second. But there's no doubt in my mind that's the way I would go.
HTH
Old 01/03/2008, 07:36 AM
Premium Member

I have a 60 gallon cube (its initial contents were transferred from a 20 long SPS tank), and I have used B-Ionic from day one. I have a ton of SPS corals, four croceas, and a few miscellaneous corals, and I have never had a problem. The majority of my SPS corals are medium to large sized frags, or small colonies though, and I am certain I will eventually have to either add a reactor or increase the dose as things grow out more. The only thing I do apart from what ESV recommends is that I have started using 20 mls as opposed to the 15 mls to keep my levels where they should be. Even if I were doing it over, I would still use the B-Ionic until it was absolutely impossible. I have often thought about switching to Randy's, but then again, I guess "If it ain't broke..." I can tell you that I have experimented with other supplements, and things went downhill, albeit very slowly.

What the world really needs is a zero tolerance policy on ignorance.

He who limps is still walking.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

I use a nano reactor from Scott at Aquatic Systems Design. Its cheap, cell cast acrylic, eheim pump, well made, and efficient. I maintain Ca at 450 and DKH at 10 easily in my 99% SPS 50g. I'll never go back.
Old 01/03/2008, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Thanks guys.

The MRC Nano and the MTC minical look great. Are these IN sump designs or can they be out of sump? I noticed MRC has a HOT design so I wasnt sure if the nano could be out of tank as well.

bluetmax, how often are you dosing? Daily?

Old 01/03/2008, 12:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JediReefer

bluetmax, how often are you dosing? Daily?
Every evening just after the halides are switched off...

What the world really needs is a zero tolerance policy on ignorance.

He who limps is still walking.
Old 01/03/2008, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

The MRC nano is out of sump design. This is the one I have on a 40B and really like it for ease of use and efficiency. It took a little adjusting to get it set for my tank demands but once dialed in my ca is 410 alk 11 ph8.2. When starting go slow with the bubles and drip and increase as needed. I battled a high alk problem when it was first started. If you feel your tank demands are higher go with the dual chamber or the MRC1. With the nano you can always add the second chamber later on.
Old 01/03/2008, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the info guys, helped me out a lot.

I am ordering my triggersys br sump and an out of sump reactor is what I need. Looks like I will be checking out the MRC as soon as the sump is in. Thanks again.

-Marc