Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/20/2006, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

Well Water

I just moved and my property has 2 dug wells on it. I was wondering if anyone uses well water rather than RO? Just wondering and if so did you test it for anything before using it?

TIA
Old 02/20/2006, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

Better off in the long run to use RO/DI water.
Old 02/20/2006, 10:03 AM
Premium Member

Definately test for nitrate and nitrite, phosphate, silliacates, pH, and alkalinity. Alot of softener retailers do fairly comprehensive testing for free. RO or RO/DI water on the other hand is eaiser to work with. Its parameters stay more or less stable (same can't always be said for well water.) Also, you may decide to use the RO water for drinking and cooking anyway. If you get a RO/DI unit, the drinking water tank and faucet are teed in before the DI cartridge.
Old 02/20/2006, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

My Dad's house is well h2o and he has a water softener. I never kept a reef tank while I lived there but, I did have fresh water tanks for 15+ years and never had an issue.
I would tend to think the h2o is full of iron and many other dissolved solids that would lead to algae blooms as well as other ill effects on the corals(presence of copper). At first response, I would recommend only using RO and even RO/DI h2o to reduce the chance of problems, especially to get a tank up-and-runnin'. After the system is aged and the ecosystem is mature, it might be able to handle some of the well h2o in a pinch but, it still might lead to nasty algae blooms. I still would not recommend it.
The only way to be sure of what might happen is to have the water tested. Then you can see the levels of TDS, what kind, in what %, and that will help you decide if there is anything in your h2o/well/pipes that could create problems with a healthy reef.

I would recommend a whole house RO/DI unit, it is pricey but, not only will your reef love you, so will your body. Healthy clean h2o is good for humans too Not only for drinking but, bathing/showering in pure h2o is good for your skin (the largest organ in the body)... Plus I wish "buckets" upon no one
Good Luck!
Old 02/20/2006, 10:23 AM
Premium Member

I'll chip in with the contrary view. I've used well water in my tanks for many years. I like the ease and convenience of just turning on the tap. That said:
1) Get it tested first to be sure it does not have trace metals or a load of nitrate or phosphate. Here in the states county agriculture agents can arrange for comprehensive water testing.
2) Most if not all wells unless very deep will have periodic nutrient increases such as phosphate. In my experience tanks using well water will have more algae problems.

Mark
Old 02/20/2006, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Im14abeer
RO or RO/DI water on the other hand is eaiser to work with. Its parameters stay more or less stable (same can't always be said for well water.)
Good point Im14abeer, I never thought of that.
Im14acrown&coke, haha
Old 02/20/2006, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

Harpo, I wondered if the minerals in the well h2o helped in any way? Lime, calcium, magnesium, ... do you think even though you might have more algae, your essential minerals are depleted less and therefore, add less minerals to your system directly? Long story short, is there any benefit that you see, other than the convenience?
Old 02/20/2006, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

i would not only use RO but perhaps a water softner as well for the longest time i was having trouble with my sediment filters being used up after only making 50 gallons of RO water turns out i had whats called clear water iron installed a softner and have had no troubles since
Old 02/20/2006, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

I figured it might not be the best thing. My system is over 3yrs old and have used RO since the onset from the local grocery, was waiting on buying a home RO until we moved. Just thought I would ask the question before I spent the money though....Thanks guys
Old 02/20/2006, 11:05 AM
Premium Member

I had well water but i filtered it throughR/O
Old 02/20/2006, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by 21Reefman [/i]
[B]Harpo, I wondered if the minerals in the well h2o helped in any way? Lime, calcium, magnesium, ... do you think even though you might have more algae, your essential minerals are depleted less and therefore, add less minerals to your system directly? Long story short, is there any benefit that you see, other than the convenience?

21Reefman

My water is fairly high in Magnesium, calcium, and carbonate. Perhaps of benefit, more likely would be more accurate to just supplement as needed. My tanks do stay very stable on parameters but they have been up for a good number of years and mature tanks generally are stable.

Mark