Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/22/2007, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

Getting frustrated with with Ca,Alk, and Mg

I am at wits end trying to balance out my parameters. I have been traveling alot and they got a little out of whack. I switched from a DIY kalk reactor to dosing kalk with top-off water. I tested today:

Mg: less than 1000
Alk: 2.06
Ca: low 300s. I got frustrated and did not even lookup what it really was.

I have been dosing the 2-part with Mag Flag and Baking Soda and Epsom Salt. I have little faith that it is doing anything. I am assuming that since they are not in balance is the reason everything is swinging the way it is.

Does anyone have ideas how to get this back under control? I am ready to do a 100% water change and to hell with the losses!! (not really)

Thoughts/Opinions?
Old 12/22/2007, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

get ur Mg up 1st....the the dKH....then watch the calcium levels rise....keep in mind every time u add one it drops the other....to keep levels saturated u must raise the alk....if alk drops quickly there is something wrong with your system or the tank is out of balance(too much waste)
Old 12/22/2007, 09:20 PM
Frag-a-holic

ataylo, it will take a couple of weeks at least of testing every night and then dosing. Do use the ca/alk/mag calculator?

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 12/22/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

keep your chin up. it took me over a month to get close and now it trail and error. i use 2part and used a full gallon to get the mag. up. after the mag came up. cal+alk started to stablize.
Old 12/23/2007, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

If you use salfrit test kits you may want to check out their sponsors fourm.

It seems that alot of people are having quality issues with mg and alk test kits lately.

Just a thought since pufferpunk also posted about test kit problems today.
Old 12/23/2007, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the input everybody. I have been questioning the test kits for a little while now. All three are Salifrit. I had a second unopened test kit of theirs for Ca and it gave me the same result a few weeks ago so that got me down. I have read about somebody having a bad Mg test kit and the nuked the tank trying to bring it up. I will probably test a friends tank and have them test mine to try and get a baseline.
Old 12/24/2007, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

As a rough guideline, Ca will be roughly 1/3 of magnesium. That is why a magnesium of 1300 is a nice target. You might try ELOS test kits as Salifert has been having some issues.

~Steve~
Old 12/24/2007, 01:59 PM
Pufferkrazy!

It's really sad what has happened with Salifert. We have all been depending on them for a long time!
Old 12/24/2007, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

When it comes to testing everything, it is such a science that I feel like a chemist. If you are off by just a little bit then it will throw the readings way off.

snorvich: I have never heard of ELOS where do you by those from?
Old 12/24/2007, 04:37 PM
Blue

bring your kits over Brandon and lets see if we get the same readings
Old 12/24/2007, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

I will have to do that.