Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2007, 08:06 AM
barnacle boy

its time I accept my skimmer is 2huge4 my tank and sell

well i bought a precision marine protein skimmer a few months ago and it was awesome. best thing to ever happen to my tank. it pulled out some skimmate i never knew was possible. so dark i could not see trough it. i had to clean it out every 3 days. well it works for a while. now the water is so clear i don't use ozone anymore and its just as crystal clear as when i did use it. i feed and feed, sometimes more then 4 times a day and the skimmer just doesn't want to pull as much as at first. skimmes for a while after feeding and once the water is clear again it slows down. sps corals are growing like crazy but my softies aren't doing so well. its on a 90gal tank! lol and its time i realize its overkill. it just uses a lot of electricity but it has alot of skimming power. if it would pull out skimmate at its full potential it would be great, but with my tank, it just cant do it since its so small. its a waste of skimmer! i bought it with an iwaki 70 pump so you know this skimmer has some real balls lol i can post some pictures when i get home. it looks brand new. i wasn't going to sell it, but maybe if i actually had a bit more dissolved organics in the tank my softies would do a little better lol. im looking to get 400, price is firm. would consider trades for a needle wheel recirculating skimmer that can handle 300gals at least. thank you
Old 12/10/2007, 01:13 PM
Pufferkrazy!

You just need a bigger tank to fit your skimmer!
Old 12/10/2007, 01:38 PM
Productive Procrastinator

Puffy is right!

What PM skimmer is it? If its a Bullet XL, I'm interested.

Silly question, if you think you are overskimming now, why are you looking for a skimmer that will do atleast 300 gallons for a 90? Just curious.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 12/10/2007, 01:44 PM
Productive Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally posted by 444reefkeeper
Puffy is right!

What PM skimmer is it? Bullet1?

Silly question, if you think you are overskimming now, why are you looking for a skimmer that will do atleast 300 gallons for a 90? Just curious.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 12/10/2007, 03:32 PM
Premium Member

PM'd you.

Lisa
Old 12/10/2007, 03:56 PM
barnacle boy

i was thinking of upgrading to a 150 but now all of a sudden im debating if i should just sell everything. a few minutes ago i was just trying to find a smaller skimmer, 300 was just thrown out there so i don't get offers with trades for every small skimmer imaginable it is the bullet 3 not the XL. and it has an iwaki 70 pump with jap motor.
Old 12/10/2007, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Wow nice deal for a Bullet 3.

Just because they say you can't do it doesn't mean you can't prove them wrong.
Old 12/10/2007, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

I was wanting to buy the skimmer. We talked earlier, let me know.

P.S sending you a PM
Old 12/11/2007, 11:09 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

A great and well-sized skimmer will do exactly what you describe. Pull out incredible gack for a while, then ease off because ... guess what? It cleaned your water!

Obviously, what was there before did not do that.

Keep hte skimmer. It's perfect for your tank.

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 12/11/2007, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

Hey Madadi--I would appreciate you not abbreviate Japanese, when you do it ends up as a racist/offensive term. Even if I wasn't 1/2 Japanese I'd still object. Thanks.
Old 12/12/2007, 12:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marfuerte
Hey Madadi--I would appreciate you not abbreviate Japanese, when you do it ends up as a racist/offensive term. Even if I wasn't 1/2 Japanese I'd still object. Thanks.
I'm sure he wasn't being racist look at it this way .... At least he didn't use the word "Crap" behind it. LOL
Old 12/12/2007, 04:10 AM
barnacle boy

i didn't know half Japanese man are so sensitive. maybe someone Japanese can explain to us why its offensive. i asked my half Japanese girlfriend, and she said your funny

crazy one: crapjap? is that even a word? lol

well, i decided to keep the skimmer, im going to get a bigger tank down the road, duhh. who cares about saving electricity in the US anyway.
Old 12/12/2007, 10:48 AM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

Madadi: First, it is widely taken as offensive, second not only by men. My sister-in-law is Japanese (Hawaiian) and I can tell you, it is an offensive, racist slur.

I am sure you did not have intent. But your rejoinder to his calm, reasonable request even I find offensive.

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 12/12/2007, 01:13 PM
barnacle boy

i was not aware it was racist. i hear japanimation all the time and i figured putting jap in front would imply it was made in Japan. someone Japanese close to me confirmed it is looked at as offensive by many, not all. i did not mean to offend. now i know, thanks for bringing it to my attention. i never heard or said the term before, just typed it as an abbreviation.

ostrow: i didn't think he was being serious so neither was i. i guess he was and now i am too, marfuerte, sorry.
Old 12/12/2007, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

Just a question but if you worry about wasting money on electricity and over skimming your tank why not just put it on a timer to run 12 hours a day to pull out anything you may over feed. Just a thought.

Rich
Old 12/12/2007, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

have u tried cleaning it......becket injector get small snails and the air intake gets a lot of creep in it.....